Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 04-06-2016, 04:40 PM
Banned

Default Console Controllers and EQ

For those using/wanting to use xBox and Playstation controllers to play EQ, post here. If you're trying to do this and come across any problems will try to help. I watched an easy youtube tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXKb7JbtOZc) on how to set this up with xpadder. I'm curious as to how many of you use controllers and game pads for EQ now. lets have a thread to share ideas, button layouts, installation help. etc. on how to play EQ with a controller.

For anyone wanting to try this, these are the few easy steps to get your controller working:

- Plug in your playstation or xBox or whatever controller you have
- if you're using an xBox controller go here https://www.microsoft.com/hardware/e...er-for-windows and download the driver
- If you're using a Playstation or different gamepad find the driver on their site
- do these steps to set up your controller after driver's DL'd http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-o...-windows-setup
- next download xPadder http://www.xpadder.com/
- after install watch this xPadder tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEbLO1htCcs
- map your own keys to controller buttons (yes more than 5 mins but its worth it)
- play EQ with awesome controller while others use pleb KB/mouse

Post your layouts for xPadder or whatever program you use to map your keys to your gamepads. Critique others' layouts etc. controller w/ EQ general thread.

xPadder Layout:
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
http://imgur.com/mqw9NrJ

I set this up so my character would move just like in a console game. Didn't think it would work this well but its nice and smooth this way. No big problems with the strafe movement but will feel a bit clunky or whatever sometimes, but strafe in EQ is horrible on KB/mouse anyway. Also added in a way to hold down the left bumper button when I want to move the cursor around for quicker looting, cursor selecting, etc.

Set (1)

Left stick up: W - move forward
LS down: S - move backwards
LS left: Q - strafe left
LS right: E - strafe right
LS push down: right mouse click

D-pad up: R - auto attack (not default)
D-pad down: C - consider
D-pad left: I - inventory (default)
D-pad right: space bar/shift-D (use both)

Right stick up: mouse scroll in/up - pan camera in
RS down: mouse scroll out/down - pan camera out
RS left: A - turn left
RS right: D - turn right
RS push down: left mouse click

A button: 1 - hotkey for kick/bash
B button: 2 - hotkey for taunt
X button: 3 - hotkey for disarm
Y button: 4 - hotkey for incoming %t pull

Select button: esc key - (default)
Start button: F - auto run (not default)

Left trigger: G - sit/stand (not default)
Right trigger: 0 - hotkey for ranged attack

Right bumper: tab - target closest npc (maybe default)
Left bumper: on hold down switch to set (2) - mapped this button so while held down it goes to set (2) on xpadder giving a whole new set of 24 (23 minus the that bumper button) hotkeys you can map to the controller

Set (2)
while left bumper is held down

Left stick up:
LS down:
LS left:
LS right:
LS push down: right mouse click

D-pad up: ALT-right click - to open up an item info
D-pad down: 9 - hotkey for switching target to %t
D-pad left: H - hail (default)
D-pad right: CTRL-R - toggle run/walk (default)

this is the part I like the most so you can easily switch from wasd movement to mouse while holding down one button
Right stick up: mouse cursor up
RS down: mouse cursor down
RS left: mouse cursor left
RS right: mouse cursor right
RS push down: left click

A button: 5 - hotkey for inventory slot effect (cobalt boots)
B button: 6 - hotkey for /tar [healer name]; target next closest npc
X button: 7 - hotkey for /assist
Y button: 8 - hotkey for bind wound

Select button: {F9} - change camera angle view (default)
Start button:

Left trigger:
Right trigger:

Right bumper: SHIFT-tab - target previous npc (maybe default)
Left bumper: held down stays on set (2)

I have a lot of unused buttons still on the controller. Anyone have any hotkeys I should have as warrior I'm missing? Or any general default keys on the keyboard I'm missing? suggestions on any different keys to map?

If you've used a controller before or are just starting to mess around with it, try this layout. Once ya get used to it after playing an hour or two it runs really smooth. I almost have it down to not needing the keyboard for anything but chatting in any combat situation, although I do main a warrior so not many hotkeys needed. I also have a wizard alt and have tried the hotkeys with the controller and it isn't that bad with the "on hold down button" option to change presets for more macros. can cast all your spells plus hotkeyed spells that have whatever macros attached to them like /stopcast /pause etc.

edit: before I posted this I searched a few times for the guy's post that first helped me with the controller installation. Want to give credit to those where its due. Thanks myxomatosii https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...=135778&page=2 That ones a few years old so making a new one. I tried combining all the steps for EQ controller installation into one post.
Last edited by Haliyen; 04-06-2016 at 04:43 PM..
Old 10-16-2019, 09:07 AM
Orc

How do you get EQ to allow this? I can successfully connect and use my xbox controller to navigate my computer but it doesn't carry over to EQ. Is there a setting in Windows that would allow EQ to use a controller?
Old 10-16-2019, 10:58 AM
Planar Protector

I'm glad I'm not the only one who tried to play with a controller. It took some getting used to but after I got the hang of it, it allowed me to play & lay on the couch at the same time and achieve peak lethargy.

If you are on a mac you can get a controller setup by adding your .app to Steam as a 'non-steam game' and use their controller setup.

Three buttons I found helpful to bind were Open/Close all Bags and a /autoinventory macro.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:28 PM
Planar Protector

I've had great success with the Steam controller, even on Linux. I do have to start Steam first, before I run EQ, if I want to be able to use the controller, but on Windows that might not even be required.

It's a great controller, and it's 100% customizable: I can map any button to any key I want. It also has both a joystick and two directional pads, which is great because you can use one DPad for strafe movement, one for turning, and then use the joystick as a ghetto mouse controller. And if you bind SHIFT and ALT you can trigger a fairly impressive amount of actions from it ... although I still always wished I had another button or two, even though it has so many.

But honestly, even though I have some serious RSI issues in real life, and even though I got it all working years ago ... I never use it. Between the having to remember to start Steam part, and just the huge convenience of a keyboard and mouse, I just don't bother. Still, this thread has me wanting to pull it out and try using it again ...

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:52 PM
Banned

No ClassiC! 😤