Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 07:55 PM
Kobold

Default Green mechanics questions

I've looked around a bit for an answer to these, but I haven't found a clear/reliable one.

If green is following the classic-> velious timeline, are spell mechanics meant to do the same?

Will pets not eat xp at launch?

Will Whirl Til You Hurl be useful again?

Shaman/necro charm?

etc.
@EndorraFeyborne Discord
Old 10-15-2019, 08:32 PM
Planar Protector

Good questions.

I noticed on green that ducking doesn't immediately interrupt spellcasts, which is going to be a big enough shock for a lot of folks already. I can only imagine if we DON'T end up with the overpowered classic features but do end up with the extra-challenging parts that there will be tears over it.

I suppose leaving the "this is silly and was broken and that's why verant fixed it, so we should leave it fixed too" stuff OUT of green while reintroducing the timeline-accurate difficulties like no ducks to interrupt and removing our favorite low-level exp quests and whatever else would be a decent compromise between classic mechanics and classic experience though. And I'm usually the guy who errs on the side of classic mechanics.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 10-15-2019 at 08:41 PM..
Old 10-15-2019, 08:35 PM
Planar Protector

None of the above
Old 10-15-2019, 08:41 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endorra [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've looked around a bit for an answer to these, but I haven't found a clear/reliable one.

If green is following the classic-> velious timeline, are spell mechanics meant to do the same?

Will pets not eat xp at launch?

Will Whirl Til You Hurl be useful again?

Shaman/necro charm?

etc.
"Shaman/necro charm?" has been confirmed as "likely won't happen on Green" (there was an official staff response in a bug thread, but I'm too lazy to find and link it). Although they didn't explicitly say this, I suspect the decision was because they don't have time to check the player-charming abilities that NPC Shaman/Necromancers would get ... if it was just "flipping a switch" to give the spells to PCs I'd think they would have done it.

As for the rest, I don't think the staff has explicitly answered any of them, but generally it seems like they will make it classic when convenient ... and there's going to be a lot of stuff (eg. pets not eating XP is likely a perfect example) where they won't find it convenient to truly "do classic".

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:48 PM
Planar Protector

Wont be that classic sadly [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:09 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
... and there's going to be a lot of stuff (eg. pets not eating XP is likely a perfect example) where they won't find it convenient to truly "do classic".
Call a duck a duck: Things that make the game harder are way more likely to be put in than things which make it easier. That's the price of admission on P99: Green.

Danth
Old 10-15-2019, 09:23 PM
Fire Giant

Can i ask some questions about green on this thread also, pls.

Can we change the farclip plane?

Is there any strafing on green?

can we change key bindings on green?
Old 10-15-2019, 10:06 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

can we change key bindings on green?
I would assume yes since the first thing you would want to do on a new character is change the Classic attack key from A to something else, tilde being a popular choice.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:59 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Good questions.

I noticed on green that ducking doesn't immediately interrupt spellcasts, which is going to be a big enough shock for a lot of folks already. I can only imagine if we DON'T end up with the overpowered classic features but do end up with the extra-challenging parts that there will be tears over it.

I suppose leaving the "this is silly and was broken and that's why verant fixed it, so we should leave it fixed too" stuff OUT of green while reintroducing the timeline-accurate difficulties like no ducks to interrupt and removing our favorite low-level exp quests and whatever else would be a decent compromise between classic mechanics and classic experience though. And I'm usually the guy who errs on the side of classic mechanics.
I noticed the ducking thing, too. My personal opinion is that it's rather one-sided to say that we shouldn't have things that aren't classic, but then label other classic mechanics as "broken." All of the things that "aren't classic" like pet windows, ducking interrupts, multiple hotbars, etc. were "fixed" later in the EQ timeline. I don't mind playing a truly classic game... but it needs to be truly classic. The game was never balanced; the shifting dynamic, to me, is kind of the point.

Just my 2 cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As for the rest, I don't think the staff has explicitly answered any of them, but generally it seems like they will make it classic when convenient ... and there's going to be a lot of stuff (eg. pets not eating XP is likely a perfect example) where they won't find it convenient to truly "do classic".
After playing the green beta a bit, this is kind of what it feels like to me. I must say it's a little underwhelming. To me it feels like playing someone's idea of what classic "should" have been, instead of what classic WAS.
@EndorraFeyborne Discord
Last edited by Endorra; 10-15-2019 at 11:04 PM..
Old 10-16-2019, 12:46 AM
Planar Protector

When you say “WAS” you mean your perception of something that happened 20 years ago in capital letters as opposed to someone else’s perception of those events in all lower case. To be classic it must exist. Like a 1973 Barracuda. That’s real, it’s classic. You can hear it and smell it and touch it. It even has classic plates on it that’s how classic it is.

P1999 can have a classic feel. It can give you a classic experience. And both of those are totally subjective. All these classic not classic discussions just smell like gate keeping to me.
Closed Thread