Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 10-30-2010, 04:16 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Slow motion movement - not an affinity issue and it's driving me insane!!

I installed Titanium on my Dell XPS (WoW Edition) gaming laptop. The laptop runs Windows 7 64 bit. 4 gigs of ram, dual geforce 8700 vid cards (but I'm only using 1 for EQ). Duo core processor, but I use EQplaynice so I'm using 1 cpu.

For some reason I can't play EQ. My character moves around in ultra slow-motion, but sometimes he moves fine. It's always in the same areas. For example, I can run from T2 in the tunnel all the way to the entrance just fine. However, if i turn around as if I'm running back to shady, it's insta slow motion. Casting spells is like molasses, other players running by me look like they're running on the moon. If I move to the right side outside of the tunnel and look west, I can move and cast fine. If I face WFP, slow motion. Certain pockets in the tunnel I can move fine for a few steps. It's always in the same spots.

I've tried changing my max FPS to all sorts of settings, and syncing it with settings in EQplay nice. I've tried not using EQplaynice and manually setting affinity. I've lowered all my video settings and turning all particle effects off. I've changed my compatibility mode to windows XP. I manually turned off all new models in the options thing before I logged in. I thought about trying a new UI but haven't. I don't see why I'd need to, because I can play P99 perfectly fine on my desktop that's slightly better than this laptop without jumping through any hoops at all. It just works.

Help!
Old 10-31-2010, 01:35 AM
Kobold

sure does sound odd...also sounds like the duel core bug..I don't see how everquest could bog down even the worst of working computers now adays. Have you Uninstalled eqplaynice? and tryed running it without it on your system? This is the only game it does it on? and if so...Have you watched your resource manager while everquest is running to see what your computer is using as far as disc,ram,cpu? Have any other programs running in the background you don't know of? when was the last time you did a defrag? how old is the harddrive..could it be going out? or even your ram..could the ram be going bad? Try taking out a stick of ram then testing the other solo. is the "priority of the affinity" set to the right number? (not low) are you sure the SLI is not affecting it? ( i see you state you only use one card, but by turning the other off could there be complications?

Pritty sure it isn't drivers. How about the C++ updates? Sorry for randomness, just trying to toss out everything I can think of. It is not a matter of if your computer can run it (because it could probly run 5 instances with no lag) but something is just not meshing right, there has to be conflicts going on somewhere.

*edit* Does your whole computer Bog down while running eq or is it just the eq instance? or can you alt+tab out or open browser with no problems?
Old 10-31-2010, 02:20 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Pretty nice info in there aggressor, I'll take a closer look tomorrow. I will add though, that I've checked resources and everything, and my laptop is laughing at EQ when it's running. CPU runs at like 1% and 20%ish ram. I can alt-tab, internets, run other games, do anything I want just fine. I can also chat in-game with no issues while the slow motion is happening. The only lag is visual lag, but it's not normal visual lag like a low FPS-type thing (hard to explain).
Old 11-01-2010, 11:08 PM
Banned

I know you said that you've set your affinity but maybe you should try something else to make absolutely sure it's not the problem, since the issue you're describing is pretty much exactly what happens with the dual/quad core processor issues. To completely eliminate this variable from being the problem you should run an msconfig, and on the second tab you can set how many processors you want your OS to use. Set that to 1, reboot, try again and see if it's still happening.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:41 AM
Kobold

also on my windows 7 64-bit won't let me "set affinity" not sure how your seeing the option unless I need to do something to see it.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Aviak

When I played under Bootcamp on my Macbook Pro I noticed the same issue. For me, it was the power settings - turning everything to the max (minimal power savings) and setting the CPU affinity fixed the problem for me. I found the posting in the eqemulator.net forums.(http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/arc...p/t-25327.html)
Old 11-03-2010, 02:58 AM
Aviak

I had a similar issue on a 2.2 ghz dual core (intel). What i did is went to power settings and set min and max cpu to 50% so it would not throttle up and down.

THEN start EQ. Worked ALOT better that way.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:31 AM
Aviak

To set affinity you need to click start type in taskmgr right click it in the list and select run as admin. I'd also recommend running EQ as admin - mine was all laggy and shit under Windows 7 64x unless I did. If you're still experiencing issues, install Wineq2.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:20 PM
Orc

My monk friend was having this kind of problem, and he tried all the normal fixes that everyone recommends (affinity, winEQ, etc..). None of them worked for him. Turned out it was some intel feature called litestep (?? i think that was the name) that deals with keeping the processor temp down on a laptop. He turned it off in bios and problem was fixed.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:29 AM
Aviak

Speedstep is the name and it does exactly whats written above (stops the CPU from clocking up and down depending on load).

Glad it was fixed!