Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 11:22 AM
Kobold

Default Need help picking a solo char...

I need help picking a solo class, and was looking for people's suggestions or experiences. I've played a wizard and necro both to 105 on live, and a druid to 80 something, and I want to play one of those three classes. Since it is such a time commitment to level a char up from scratch with nothing, I want to focus on one. I love quad kiting, as well as root rotting and fear kiting so any of them would be enjoyable, I just don't know how much each of them would be able to do in a group once I made it to 50+ (mainly level 60). In this era, and especially not probably doing much raiding, if any, all of them from what I understand aren't particularly sought after for groups.

Thanks for any insight! I've asked questions before here and got some incredibly helpful answers and replies, so ty ahead of time! =)
Old 06-15-2018, 11:35 AM
Banned

I'd go druid honestly.. Great solo character, great first choice character due to the option of porting for some extra Plat. I can tell you in my druids younger days, he was invited to groups 90% of the time to heal which i actually never minded. I know a lot of druids and shamans hate that. But druid was my first character and i never looked back! I definitely made a group specific character after my druid though..
Old 06-15-2018, 11:41 AM
Banned

If you must pick one of the three. Pick the class that best matches your play style.
You mentioned that you like quad kiting. Wizards are great but you wont have much hopes for groups 20ish+
Necros have it bad with groups too for the most part although they actually can be useful sometimes with snares,pet dps, twitching, and for those weird times when theres no healer and youre necro healing people to keep them alive.
Ive played almost every class and i try to solo as much as i can. Both necros and wizards are great at it [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-15-2018, 11:43 AM
Kobold

Thanks for the reply. Long story short, I am slowly introducing classic EQ to my wife, and we're now level 10 on a druid (her) and an enchanter (me). No twinking, slowly working our way out of the Faydark and letting her enjoy the game the same way I did which is why I am back playing a 20 year old game after playing it on live up until a year or so ago.

I'm hoping that the enc ends up being my group char, I just want to be able to farm good money and items, with a mixture of viability + enjoyability.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:58 AM
Fire Giant

Since you already have one, at 60 Enchanter is the strongest solo class in the game for 90-95% of mobs, Shaman's are the strongest for the other 5-10%. For levels 12-59 Enchanter is the strongest solo class for 100% of mobs, Shaman isn't even close. Enchanters also get groups easier thanany other class besides Clerics.

If you have to pick one of those three though, I would pick a necro since your wife already has a Druid for porting you around and stuff like that, assuming you have an ip exemption.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:11 PM
Kobold

Yeah we do and honestly the necromancer is the character I probably had the most fun with. That's great to hear about enchanters though, the druid/enc duo has been a ton of fun and once we can charm I bet it will get better.

Can necromancers farm some decent stuff solo? It's been years since I played this era and honestly don't remember their capabilities, but I did notice you put enc/shm above them in solo ability..
Old 06-15-2018, 12:48 PM
Sarnak

Necromancer is god-tier solo

You can solo 1-60 completely naked and STILL do it better than almost everyone else. Shaman can do pretty okay solo but they need tons of pp for torpor, JBB, etc. Necromancers need none of this.

A skilled enchanter will eventually overtake your capabilities because their charm is so much better and mez is more convenient than FD to reset, but this difference is mostly after you're done leveling and can go farm SG/PoM for pp drops.

If you know how to play enchanter well, don't ever AFK while playing, and want to become ridiculously rich in the late game, go enchanter. For most people I'd just recommend necro and that's the end of it.
Last edited by beargryllz; 06-15-2018 at 12:56 PM..
Old 06-15-2018, 04:34 PM
Banned

Necro would definitely be the fastest.
Old 06-17-2018, 05:24 AM
Kobold

The best duo with an Enchanter is a Cleric. Charm + Complete Heal = constant buzzsaw killing of everything in sight.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:33 PM
Orc

Necros have a wide variety of spells which allows them to solo in almost any manner and are the best for this hands down. Druids also have many useful spells so that they can solo with ease, but not quite as much as a necro. Wizards are meh - they can quad beginning at 29 with bonds of force, but that's about it. And they don't have many utility spells.

As you already hinted at, at high level they're generally not preferred in groups as compared to some of the other classes but if you are good at what you do and make friends then people will recognize that and invite you to join them.

I'm going to throw another one out there - Enchanter. They are excellent soloers in outdoor zones with charm at mid-level and up. The big issue is that they can't heal themselves very well, but you don't need to take any damage! Get some SoW pots/Jboots (or simply trade C with a SoWing class) and charming is crazy safe as long as you're keeping your target rooted. I won't detail it here, but there is also a strat you could use if you're feeling adventurous that I like to call the "meat grinder" which basically involves hasting a high level melee mob in the zone and volleying lower level mobs into him until he can be finished off. You typically can get 4-6 kills with minimal mana expenditure/downtime, and it gets you really good at playing the class to boot! This got me to level 50 in under a week. And enchanters, while not as important in raids, are HIGHLY sought after in groups!
Last edited by kebas239; 06-17-2018 at 04:49 PM..
Closed Thread