Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 01:03 PM
VIP / Contributor

Default first GM rant!

I had to post this. It's been bothering me ever since I started playing EverQuest back in 2000.

I normally had made my way through EverQuest by examining words other people said. I was like 8-9 when I started playing. I figured out what I was doing wrong quite easily, whether it be not talking at all, talking "Like This Lol", or lying about my age.
I quickly picked up on traits that a person should be using online, however there's one thing through the years that has never, ever, gone away from my memory, and to this day, I could never figure it out.

OTAY ;)

Why.

WHY would you possibly say something like that.

At first I thought it was a typo but then I realized one, the k and t keys are away from each other, and two, I was told to beware of women on the internet since they're all guys anyway.

So it haunted me. To this day.
Why on earth would a human being write something so vile, so vicious, that haunted me through the rest of my life?

So yeah, anyone know of this... word's origin?
It's been haunting me, I only recently found out why people use zOMG and other retarded things like that. Half of them weren't even alive to know about the program in which zOMG was used.

</rant off otay>
Old 03-29-2010, 01:08 PM
Planar Protector

Eddie Murphy, SNL. Buckwheat.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:08 PM
Large Bat

It's an approximation of the way Buckwheat said "okay" in the Little Rascals, a tv show from the 50's (?).
Old 03-29-2010, 01:09 PM
Planar Protector

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-29-2010, 01:10 PM
Fire Giant

Send a message via AIM to Ferok

Quote:
Originally Posted by badpoet [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's an approximation of the way Buckwheat said "okay" in the Little Rascals, a tv show from the 50's (?).
This.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:14 PM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to Trimm

Internet slang in general is just awful. Any time I see someone type "otay [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.], leet, omgz, teh, OVER 9000, rox ur sox" etc. it just makes me think of some 14 year old with a Myspace page covered in sparkly images and terrible rap music playing in the background. How this subculture of the internet became "cool" I'll never understand.

I think smilies are bad too, but can sometimes have their place. I know I've been guilty of using them. Usually its to convey the message of 'I'm kidding' to someone who can't see your facial expression when you call them a terrible name.

For example: Hasbinbad you're a complete asshole and I hope you die in a fire [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] .

See the smilie on the end makes it ok, because I don't really wish death on anyone. I actually like Hasbinbad and wish him health and happiness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog View Post
Cats on the moon not happening on my watch.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:14 PM
VIP / Contributor

Explains why I didn't remember it. Wonder why it was so popular in the early 2000's.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimm [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I think smilies are bad too, but can sometimes have their place. I know I've been guilty of using them. Usually its to convey the message of 'I'm kidding' to someone who can't see your facial expression when you call them a terrible name.
This!

I use internet slang if I'm obviously trying to be sarcastic or retarded. People who use it in a serious manner kind of baffle me.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:17 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by badpoet [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
30's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by secrets
Explains why I didn't remember it. Wonder why it was so popular in the early 2000's.
Little Rascals is always popular. Check it out sometime!
Old 03-29-2010, 01:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You got me...
I'm sure most kids that use it don't know the origins to be honest.
It has been passed down verbally for the past few decades before it even got on the internet. I remember using the phrase on occasion back in high school (pre-Windows 95).

At least in this case the phrase actually has a LONG history behind it.
Closed Thread