Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 11:51 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Are you talking about blue or the new servers?(it matter big time) And no, a halfling warrior cannot sneak and hide at the same time. You can only sneak, so you have to stay outside of about a 120% degree angle in front of the NPC.
Slight point of contention, halflings (except halfling rogues) (and rangers) can hide and sneak simultaneously, but can't move around with hide activated, even while sneaking, without breaking hide.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:20 PM
Banned

How many players in the static group and what other classes?

Is this on Blue or Green / Teal?

Do you have any end game (raiding) aspirations?
Old 01-16-2020, 06:28 PM
Fire Giant

On Green, I'd bet Warrior. Warrior DPS is underrated in general. As an MT, however, be aware you're gonna have a rough time holding aggro. If you're in a static group of friends, it may be less of a problem, though.

As for race, I have both Troll and Halfling Warriors. Both are great for different reasons. Hide/Sneak is very useful and being small/good factioned has serious benefits. Troll on the other hand doesn't need to swap a shield to bash, has slightly better stats and most importantly gets a nice innate regen. Given DE mask is in the game, I'd go Troll out of those choices, unless you want access to good factioned places.

The Ranger is the worst at just face tanking things, but it could be a solid choice–if you want/need snap aggro, root, snare, track. Requires a bit of finesse and involves lots of Ranger-shaming, of course.

Monk seems like a very bad choice for MT on Green, but I'm sure it's workable with enough effort. The Monk skills are good, but the gear is lacking in classic. Good for indoor pulling however. I personally am waiting til kunark/velious to roll a monk.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:19 PM
Planar Protector

It totally depends.

Yea, in terms of mitigation warrior then monk. Do you need taunt? hat tips to the warrior. Do you need an indoor puller? Hat tips to the monk.

How about an outdoor puller? Do you have someone to track/snare/add lowbie druid buffs? Go ranger. Thorns itself is nice for passive dps increase.

Pallies can stun and throw lowbie cleric buffs (do you have a cleric?). SK's can snare and FD split.

It really depends on what you want to do and how well you want to do it. Like I said before, if you really wanted to play a bard you could tank for a 4-person group easy. Same goes for a shaman. If you wanna exp off LDC's in Sol b on green, it's gonna be more rough than some combos.

This is a pretty easy game. Just gotta click the needed boxes and be better than the NPC's...
Old 02-05-2020, 04:33 AM
Fire Giant

damn ppl either can't read or talk too much, OP is asking who has better dps while face tanking, and obviously he's talking about general static group xping and not end game level/gears

so general answer is monk > both war and ranger for his scenario
Old 02-05-2020, 09:02 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagorf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
damn ppl either can't read or talk too much, OP is asking who has better dps while face tanking, and obviously he's talking about general static group xping and not end game level/gears

No it's not, as I explained.

Unless P99s caombat mchanics have been heavily rigged in favor of DWing, even an SK or paladin will prolly out damage a monk, with a mith. Certainly ogre/troll SKs will.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:27 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A monk gets absolutely nothing close to something like DPS of a mith 2 hander. So its probabaly going to come down to how good gear the warrior has versus monk.

you could try during the low to mid levels swapping in a decent 2 hand blunt attack between your off and attacks. But it would probably kill your AC as all the decent 2hd weapons weigh a ton.
I find this hard to believe. Maybe I missed something important and OP has the resources to put a mithril 2hnder on a warrior twink at low levels but aside from that..

At 50 the monks fists alone are 14/30. Only slightly worse than 21/40 of the Mith2hnder. Assuming non planar gear/dragon haste does the 10% extra worn haste attached to the Mith2hnder overcome significant higher offense, double attack, dual wield, and flying kick from the monk?

Assuming planar/dragon gear I’d say the monk easily pulls ahead with 16/27 Wu’s fists or even 14/28 Treant Fist and 36% dragon haste.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:57 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagorf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Or we were drinking heavily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].

I still think the dps face tanking premise is a bit silly. It’s a VERY small part of the group dynamic even for a “static group” or whatever that means. In either case I expect mitigation parses will be close.

Does the OP have like 8k plat on green for a mith?? If not that changes things up and we should ask more questions...
Old 02-05-2020, 11:41 AM
Sarnak

What the composition of your static group?
Old 02-05-2020, 12:18 PM
Planar Protector

Sorry about the “silly” part.

Yes, like Duck said composition is very important.

As is budget for droppable gear and if the OP will raid. A warrior with BiS droppable/no drop is not the same as dual Langseax. A monk across all expansions is pretty cheap and easy to gear; not as easy as a bard but the performance/plat ratio is extremely high.
Closed Thread