Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 01-07-2017, 11:38 PM
Orc

Default I'm old and need help with the dsetup.dll error

I really am old, I'm 71. I have been gaming for at least 16 years and am not a noob.
Not being a noob doesn't mean I can remember how to fix things anymore tho.
I had this problem after the patch before but in my addled mental condition, I don't know what I did to fix it.
I have read threads here on the forum but can't make out what the instructions mean.
So, with that history, please be kind to grandpa and give me detailed instructions on how to get it going again.
Thanks.
BTW, I am the druid Barj that is so kind to port yur bum around so often. <wink>
Old 01-08-2017, 05:13 AM
Sarnak

Most AV programs see dsetup.dll as a threat, so you might wanna check out your quarantine.

Hope that works out for you [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-08-2017, 07:52 AM
Sarnak

dsetup.dll = big brother [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

False positive detection and can be added to AV exclusions of the Av suite of your choice.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:21 PM
Orc

This is what I meant when I said "I have read threads here on the forum but can't make out what the instructions mean."
Your posts tell me that the AV software is blocking me. How do I get it to stop? I have Norton and have disabled and turned stuff off but still get the same error message. I have uninstalled McAffe and still the error. I ran Spybot and cleaned up the spyware and "stuff" and still the error. What else do I need to do?
Try to think of it as giving your grandpa instructions over the phone.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:08 AM
Planar Protector

Make sure you totally removed the plague known as McAfee from your system. Make sure there's nothing that looks like part of McAfee in the installed program list in your control panel (where you uninstall programs).

Then, install Avast, free edition (or premium if you wanna shell out the money), and set it to "Silent / Gaming mode".

Enjoy a healthy system and P99.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:32 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenD [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is what I meant when I said "I have read threads here on the forum but can't make out what the instructions mean."
Your posts tell me that the AV software is blocking me. How do I get it to stop? I have Norton and have disabled and turned stuff off but still get the same error message. I have uninstalled McAffe and still the error. I ran Spybot and cleaned up the spyware and "stuff" and still the error. What else do I need to do?
Try to think of it as giving your grandpa instructions over the phone.
Step 1: Make sure your EverQuest folder is not installed in your Program Files directory. Move the folder out if you need to.

Step 2: Make a new shortcut for eqgame.exe - right click eqgame.exe and click create shortcut. Right click your newly created shortcut, select Properties, and in the target line add patchme to the end of the path, outside the quotes if they are present. It should look like this:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Now click OK.

Step 3: Download the most recent patch zip and extract its contents into your EverQuest folder: http://www.project1999.com/files/P99Files44.zip

Step 4: Make sure your antivirus/antimalware software knows that dsetup.dll is not a virus. I can't offer help on this, but others probably can.
Last edited by paulgiamatti; 01-10-2017 at 05:36 AM..
Old 01-10-2017, 05:33 AM
Planar Protector

Edit: double post
Old 03-03-2017, 09:42 AM
Aviak

I have had the same problem, now solved. Antivirus put dseupt.dll in quarantine
Old 03-08-2017, 05:01 PM
Aviak

My antivirus software (AVG) moved it to quarantine (virus vault). I had to go in quarantine and "restore" file which puts it back in its original folder.

Then I turn it off for 10 minutes when I am launching the game to avoid the error.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:32 PM
Orc

Every once in a while I would reinstall the update and try to play. No joy. I tried again, same procedure, and it worked. I deleted the downloaded ziped files so maybe that did it. ???