Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Old 04-24-2024, 05:24 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Merge for sure.
Old 04-24-2024, 07:29 AM
Sarnak

The whole point of Green was to merge with Blue at the end of its timeline.

And sure, it seems like they can't make a new Green and continue on again, but it's weird that the devs and the players bought into that fantasy of wanting to recreate the same pool after this game had like 8 years of Kunark

Even weirder they didn't predict the idea of people re-using character names for the new server, and all the problems that THAT brings
Old 04-24-2024, 08:42 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
While I do think they will eventually merge and start a new Green ("eventually" meaning anywhere from this year to a couple years down the road), this is probably right. While it might be relatively easy to merge servers, it's a lot of work for the staff to handle a larger player base on one server plus all the various classic changes they'd want to make for new Green that were discovered during the course of Green 1.0. Wish I knew how to do that coding stuff so I could help out haha

I think another commenter made a fair point of what do you do with the CSR who are on one server but play on another? Make them choose between playing or being CSR? Then you have to replace a bunch of CSR that quit? It's not an insurmountable issue, and I doubt it's why they haven't merged, but it is AN issue that you have to come up with a solution for, which isn't easy. Just another item of "work" for the staff.
For me having separate servers is more work than all being piled onto one. I can imagine mistakes were made down the line of someone trying to help someone on green but mistakenly was on blues db or vice versa.

If 250 people from green petition a ticket and 250 people from blue also petition a ticket in reality its the same exact work load just different servers.

As for some who questioned how characters with the same name could ever be merged this was a issue with Live EQ. All the staff had to do was make sure every new character to a server if the names match has an extra E attached to the end of it. This prevented the same names being used with exact spelling. So there tech is a way to do it if they chose to go down that route.

So if a character on green was named Xeon but that name has already been used on blue it would transfer the character as Xeone
Old 04-24-2024, 10:18 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonark [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
nd sure, it seems like they can't make a new Green and continue on again, but it's weird that the devs and the players bought into that fantasy of wanting to recreate the same pool after this game had like 8 years of Kunark

Even weirder they didn't predict the idea of people re-using character names for the new server, and all the problems that THAT brings
In what world does it seem like they can't do that? They've already proven they know how to merge servers lol

Also what are you talking about with the names? They easily predicted that and made it so that you can only re-use the name if you have that name on another server on the same account you're using for Green. And when they merge the Green character gets an X added to its name (same thing they did on live back in the day if you transferred to a server where someone already had your name). They said all of this at Green launch where were you?
Old 04-24-2024, 03:49 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In what world does it seem like they can't do that? They've already proven they know how to merge servers lol
I thought it was in this thread, but I guess it's in the same thread in the Green server chat. Anyways:

The whole point that the gentleman's agreement with Sony not existing for Darkpaw, and Darkpaw saying "as long as they don't make any new servers"

It's not about knowing HOW
Quote:
Also what are you talking about with the names? They easily predicted that and made it so that you can only re-use the name if you have that name on another server on the same account you're using for Green. And when they merge the Green character gets an X added to its name (same thing they did on live back in the day if you transferred to a server where someone already had your name). They said all of this at Green launch where were you?
Yeah man, everyone loves being Sonarkx, and Sonarkxx, and Sonarkxxx, and Sonarkxxxx and so on
Old 04-24-2024, 04:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonark [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I thought it was in this thread, but I guess it's in the same thread in the Green server chat. Anyways:

The whole point that the gentleman's agreement with Sony not existing for Darkpaw, and Darkpaw saying "as long as they don't make any new servers"
Oh? Do you have direct knowledge of this? Usually the way contractual agreements operate is that they are assigned to the acquiring company. There are also just simple realities, like Darkpaw probably isn't going to sue someone over like a 1-2k person server (not worth the time or legal fees), plus the possible defenses such as promissory estoppel that P99 could rely on to open new servers even if Darkpaw did try to void the contract.

Quote:
It's not about knowing HOW Yeah man, everyone loves being Sonarkx, and Sonarkxx, and Sonarkxxx, and Sonarkxxxx and so on
Not sure what your malfunction is. If you don't like having an X after your name if the server merges, don't use the same name. That's on you.
Old 04-24-2024, 04:47 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Usually the way contractual agreements operate
This would be really appropriately condescending if there was ever a contract.
Quote:
Not sure what your malfunction is. If you don't like having an X after your name if the server merges, don't use the same name. That's on you.
I suppose.
Old 04-24-2024, 06:37 PM
Planar Protector

a merger would reduce the number of active emulator servers, so daybreak would be happy about that.

the only thing that makes sense is each servers heavyweights (most likely staff) don't want a merger.

P99 can't run without it's CSR staff, and those people want to actually play the game, but they can't play on the server where they are a GM

so 2 servers have to exist, in order for those people to have an opportunity to play

a merger means no staff can do the CSR job and still be able to play the game.
Old 04-24-2024, 09:54 PM
Planar Protector

Dear Reader, you don’t have to believe any of this. Until there is a definitive announcement from P99 staff, it’s all just a bunch of forum posters like me posting whatever we think is likely, or wishing for whatever we want to happen. Nobody has proof (or they would have posted it).

You can pretty much believe what you want to believe, and hope for what you want to hope for.

I hope for a new server within a couple years. ��
Old 04-25-2024, 01:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
This would be really appropriately condescending if there was ever a contract.
? Did you miss the part years ago where they said there is?