Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 01:50 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_jon3s [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Weapon affinity isnt till GoD.
Noooo
Old 07-29-2020, 06:17 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Personally I'm fine with Blue capping out at the SoV expansion. Plane of Growth was and still is probably my favorite Plane and I'm almost certain it released during SoV.
I'll tell my friends about the Al'kabor Project though.
Old 07-29-2020, 06:50 PM
Planar Protector

I loved Luclin, but then I was just a kid who didn't raid and had a very superficial understanding of the game. I loved my beastlord and I loved the Luclin zones. Grimling forest grimling wars where you could help a faction take over the zone for specific rewards, acrylia caverns farming for acrylia. AA's were pretty sweet, as was the crafting in Luclin. Also enjoyed the bazaar, that feeling of leaving your merch up while you went on a day trip or something and coming home to see what sold. Bored of the tunnel nowadays, just a bunch of tunnel rats anyway.

Luclin models were... bad then and they're bad now though

Never understood the "Cats on the moon!" crowd. Lizards in Africa! Dwarves in Antarctica!
Last edited by Lune; 07-29-2020 at 06:56 PM..
Old 07-29-2020, 08:28 PM
Sarnak

Luclin would be ultimate Nostalgia. I don’t get the kitten hate. Maybe, just give every tagged char in KWSM a kitten illusion clicky mask?
Last edited by MaCtastic; 07-29-2020 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 07-29-2020, 11:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I loved Luclin, but then I was just a kid who didn't raid and had a very superficial understanding of the game. I loved my beastlord and I loved the Luclin zones. Grimling forest grimling wars where you could help a faction take over the zone for specific rewards, acrylia caverns farming for acrylia. AA's were pretty sweet, as was the crafting in Luclin. Also enjoyed the bazaar, that feeling of leaving your merch up while you went on a day trip or something and coming home to see what sold. Bored of the tunnel nowadays, just a bunch of tunnel rats anyway.

Luclin models were... bad then and they're bad now though

Never understood the "Cats on the moon!" crowd. Lizards in Africa! Dwarves in Antarctica!
"Not classic". But I certainly wouldn't mind just the bazaar though. EC can lick my balls.

I think Kunark was much more based on central/southern america. Geography, art styles, and the whole Quetzalcoatl mythos. if it were africa it wouldn't feature large inland bodies of water and there'd prolly be at least one desert zone. Outside of eqypt, africa has very little megalithic structures/ruins around i, too, so the ruins peaking through the forest is a much more americas vibe.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:53 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
"Not classic". But I certainly wouldn't mind just the bazaar though. EC can lick my balls.
I hate EC as much as you but wouldn't necessarily want the Bazaar. Bazaar was an early effort, and badly-designed. It has been improved upon. No sense in repeating it if the admins here ever decide to go the route of automated item sales. Just program in an auction system like most every other modern MMORPG uses and be done with it. In practice we're unlikely to see either so we're stuck with having to deal with socially-stunted EC dwellers who're so timid they can barely communicate coherently. I like this game well enough overall, but it's definitely a "take the bad with the good" sort of game.

I maintain my opinion that Luclin as it existed was terrible. A "fixed" luclin with only classic graphics and no alt. advance and some other alterations might have potential as custom content if P99 had any remaining devs who had the hours/motivation to do so much additional work. Otherwise we can say it's beyond the scope of the project. Velious-era is a nice enough stopping point and I'm okay with that.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 07-30-2020 at 08:56 AM..
Old 07-30-2020, 10:49 AM
Banned

That's a perfectly viable opinion to have from someone who probably hasn't played a ton of time on the handful of classes they did an incredibly poor job itemizing in classic thru velious and only really did a decent job once Luclin rolled around.

AA's were a really fun addition to the game for people who would rather work on one character instead of having a horde of alts.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:19 AM
Planar Protector

get out
Old 07-30-2020, 11:49 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croco [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's a perfectly viable opinion to have from someone who probably hasn't played a ton of time on the handful of classes they did an incredibly poor job itemizing in classic thru velious and only really did a decent job once Luclin rolled around.

AA's were a really fun addition to the game for people who would rather work on one character instead of having a horde of alts.
You're right that luclin itemization helps some folks out.

As for AA....I mostly play one character. It's my only level 60. I dislike AA for a different reason, because I see it as something of a trap--you end up doing a lot of grinding just to get back to the level of (relative) power you already have because monsters will be tuned against the expectation of characters having alt. advance. I prefer being able to ignore the experience bar, but there's definitely space there for other preferences and I don't feel too strongly about AA. It isn't something I'd quit over.

Danth
Old 07-30-2020, 08:58 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaCtastic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don’t get the kitten hate.
Because SoL launched shortly after the internet first found out about furries. Prior to that there wasn't much hate towards the idea of anthropomorphic races in video games and media. Anything prior to 2001 (ThunderCats etc) got grandfathered in but anything that got made for at least several years past that was too similar to furries for people to enjoy. While Kerrans did exist in vanilla EQ they were never really a big part of it for any one and were mostly forgotten about. Had they not been part of SoL it would probably be regarded as a much better expansion, sans the graphical update they pushed through as well. I know this because I also fell into the same trap and hated them for being "lol furries" and quit the game because it was going to shit. Years later when I played through SoL on a TLP server I realized that the expansion was actually pretty good and I liked it a lot more than SoV.
Closed Thread