Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 10-05-2010, 05:16 PM
Large Rat

Default Mouse click accuracy.

Now I havent played EQ ever since I quit back in 1999, but it seems to me that there is something different as far as mouse clicking accuracy is concerned.

Quite often when looting a dead mobs corpse I end up clicking on myself rather than the corpse, even though the mouse cursor is clearly over the corpse.

I dont know if its something that got introduced into EQ over the years, but I just dont remember ever having that problem when I was playing back in 99. Anybody else experiences the same thing?
Old 10-05-2010, 05:35 PM
Project Manager

Are you playing in 3rd person? I play EQ in first person.. and have no trouble clicking on the corpses.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Large Rat

Well this bug can only happen when playing in 3rd person. Also sometimes when clicking on a live mob that is standing next to a corpse a corpse gets selected rather than the mob.

It just generally feels like the mouse accuracy is worse than what it was in the original.

Any tech people know how the mouse target selection works? Does it happen on the server or client side?
Old 10-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Sarnak

The EQ client targeting system has always been kind of wonky. I've learned that it's best not to expect fine distinction in targeting whenever two or more objects are close to each other. It helps a little if you try to envision an imaginary box around each model, and to make sure that your mouse cusror is well clear of your character's box whenever you're trying to loot.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:37 PM
VIP / Contributor

There is a bug that can happen that's fairly hard to notice. If you're playing in windowed mode, at the same resolution width as your monitor, if one of the sides of the window is slightly off the screen, your mouseclicks will be offset by the same amount. Line it back up, and you should be good to go.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Large Bat

What bothers me is I like to play in third person, and VERY regularly target myself on accident. I was inspecting myself very regularly as well but then found out about /toggleinspect off which has been a lifesaver...
Old 10-06-2010, 01:22 PM
Large Rat

Great, thanks, I will try both solutions. If its a client side problem then it was probably the same in live, its just been a while since I played so I probably don't remember.

I guess they use screen space bounding boxes for targeting which is not too accurate?

I think nowdays most games calculate world position of the mouse click and do a 3D line check against actual geometry to figure out targeting.

Or another even more accurate way is to draw all targetable objects into a separate texture where each object draws in a different color based on some index scheme and then you lookup the color of the pixel that you clicked on which gives you back the index of the targeted object.

But if we have no access to client code then there is no way to fix that.