Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 04:40 PM
Planar Protector

Default Green EXP Penalty In Groups

So we all know that green mobs can give EXP sometimes, if they're high level enough, but that the EXP they give is halved (or some proportion along those lines) compared to if they were blue. Meaning, there's a formula for what EXP a monster usually gives you, as a function of its level and the ZEM, and if the monster cons green then the number that formula gives you is half of its normal value. Anyone who's soloed a character can tell you this; if you kill a monster that's a very low blue, you'll see that it moves your EXP bar a substantial amount, but if you kill a monster one level below it that's now green, the EXP will be dramatically smaller.

Now, suppose you have two people in a group, maybe one is level 45 and the other is level 50. They kill a monster that cons blue to the level 45 guy and green to the level 50 guy. We all know that if that monster does not give any EXP at all to the level 50 guy, then no one in the group gets EXP. And it was my impression that if the monster gives some EXP to the level 50 guy, then everyone in the group gets EXP, but it's the reduced EXP value; so even if the mob cons blue to the level 45 guy, his EXP gain from it is halved because this jerk level 50 guy is in a group with him.

However, based on some (extremely informal and unscientific) observations, I think maybe this is not actually the case on this server: it seems like the EXP gain from the mob will get calculated weirdly, where the level 50 guy eats the penalty for killing a green, but the level 45 guy does not.

Has anyone else gotten this impression? Can anyone say whether or not this is the case? The implication of this, if indeed the lower level doesn't eat the EXP penalty, is that people can group with a wider range of character levels without worrying about reduced EXP due to green cons (i.e. if the level 50 guy doesn't care that the group is killing stuff which gives him bad EXP, then the level 45 guy doesn't need to worry that he is also getting bad EXP).
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 08-19-2014, 04:54 PM
Fire Giant

I'm pretty sure what you think is correct. I used to group with people much lower than me. The mob would be light blue to me but dark blue to them. My experience was minimal but I could grind thru them and the exp was great for the lower level. It's all good as long as the mob at least gives some exp to the higher level. If it is a true green (no exp) then yeah, no one gets exp.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:24 PM
Planar Protector

Well, I'm inclined to think that this is a bug, if this is in fact how it works on the server, just because it runs contrary to what everyone used to say the mechanics were. Of course, I have no proof regarding how EXP mechanics worked on Live...
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 08-19-2014, 07:07 PM
Planar Protector

Very interesting.
Closed Thread