Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 10:05 PM
Banned

Was that before or after they silently fired the CTO?
Old 11-10-2019, 09:23 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
More than that, the original models didn't make it to release in Vanguard because of the poor performance. The models used for the launched version of the game were somewhat reduced quality relative to the originals, hence why they looked somewhat "off" in the otherwise rather nice-looking game world. The "animal head on an otherwise human body" races were particularly ridiculous. I've said it before, but Vanguard felt like it was caught in some sort of reverse-time field. It kept getting worse over time instead of better, which has got to be the surest sign of wretched project management. It was at its best in early beta, before the Thestran continent was partially rebuilt for little to no reason other than to suck up manhours that would've been better spent on any of a hundred other tasks.

I check Pantheon perhaps every six months or so. What's been publicly released looks like any other MMOG to me--some stuff that looks alright, and some stuff I don't care for.

Danth
Is there any proof of the original models? Like I mean actual images of them? Also the animal races were pretty fucking bad. Like a bootleg version of Jim Henson puppetry. It wasn't even in beta, it was more so in an alpha and barely even out of a pre-alpha (meaning not all of the features were included into the core game yet). Remember being in the "open beta" and the last few days before the official launch, they were trying to rush out testing flying mounts which weren't introduced until then. It was such a spectacular fuck up that the server crashed immediately.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:27 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorza [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Imagine expecting people to believe you when you say that this game looks graphically worse than this game, and also that you're mad that Pantheon is "copying" EQ races but you're also mad that they changed EQ races like Halflings, Gnomes, and Ogres slightly.

Why give an opinion if you're going to be impossible to please anyways?
Imagine using heavily cherry picked images as some sort of 'evidence'
But you are right about people shouldn't be mad about the looks of these races. Everquest didn't invent any of these races.
Last edited by Bisonzabi; 11-10-2019 at 09:31 PM..
Old 11-10-2019, 09:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisonzabi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is there any proof of the original models? Like I mean actual images of them? Also the animal races were pretty fucking bad. Like a bootleg version of Jim Henson puppetry. It wasn't even in beta, it was more so in an alpha and barely even out of a pre-alpha (meaning not all of the features were included into the core game yet). Remember being in the "open beta" and the last few days before the official launch, they were trying to rush out testing flying mounts which weren't introduced until then. It was such a spectacular fuck up that the server crashed immediately.
There are probably old screenshots from alpha/etc out there someplace, but I don't feel like searching personally. If you scour the internet long enough you'll probably find some of them.

Danth
Old 11-10-2019, 09:42 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake81 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not posting this to slam on the quality of the visuals but I do dislike the art style. Like wow, gotta have the mini map, a quest log (because wtf kind of game doesn't have one?) a small chat box, hot bar bonanza... on rails. These are standards now and expected in accessible game designs.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There's nothing wrong with that UI in particular and that chat window is easily customizable plus having hotbars is important once you get to a certain level and you have many different skills you've acquired. WoW didn't invent any of this either, plenty of MMO's came out after EQ and before WoW that helped evolve the genre.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:43 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There are probably old screenshots from alpha/etc out there someplace, but I don't feel like searching personally. If you scour the internet long enough you'll probably find some of them.

Danth
W/e site they were on is probably long gone. The game was in closed "beta" until the very last month prior to release (Jan 2007) so not much was said about it from those that tested it prior and those that did have something to say usually just said something on the lines of 'the game's going to be a disaster'
Old 11-10-2019, 09:54 PM
Planar Protector

The Vulmane looked quite a bit different in particular, and better I think--more animalistic. A few surviving shots are probably out there someplace; I doubt they're all lost to time. I wouldn't know where to look though. Maybe the internet archive?

Danth
Old 11-10-2019, 10:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake81 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
.. you are talking about Vanguard: Saga of Heroes? still have my original copy of that one. I am responding about the game design of the highest quality comment, made me smile. I played that game on and off for two weeks as a cleric. I joined the best guild on the server (forgot the name as the game is forgettable) and I had a moment where I was with everyone and thought "Why am I playing this, I don't want to. This has none of the pull EQ did, I am just grinding in a fantasy game in 3rd person"

If you had one million dollars and offered it as a reward for naming a single town, dungeon or memorable tune I would not be able to win it. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Karnage?

But didn't realize that this is more like... P99's 4chan or something.

except instead of random anons its a shark attack of a small clique that posts here all the time. so he's doubly fucked.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Not posting this to slam on the quality of the visuals but I do dislike the art style. Like wow, gotta have the mini map, a quest log (because wtf kind of game doesn't have one?) a small chat box, hot bar bonanza... on rails. These are standards now and expected in accessible game designs.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
lolol that hot bar is a straight ripoff of the wow default ui that nobody uses. at least have the sense to ripoff a popular custom UI.

brad is a clown, whoop whoop.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisonzabi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There's nothing wrong with that UI in particular and that chat window is easily customizable plus having hotbars is important once you get to a certain level and you have many different skills you've acquired. WoW didn't invent any of this either, plenty of MMO's came out after EQ and before WoW that helped evolve the genre.
Nothing right about it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mead [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Karnage?
I don't recall guild or server name.
Closed Thread