Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 12-02-2014, 12:10 AM
Fire Giant

nilbog it seems hard to tell looking at someone elses screenshot/video capture.
i know as a woodelf/darkelf my vision right now is not classic and just seems like a gamma problem. All detail is washed out.
i'll try to post some screenshots tomorrow, might have to load up eq live to compare.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:13 AM
Planar Protector

let me see if I can setup a tripod and record my screen with no other light sources going on and show differences for you

all the fraps/shadowplay/screen capture stuff I tried didn't work in really showing how dark it can be
Old 12-02-2014, 12:20 AM
Fire Giant

Got my cell phone out since video/ss do not pick up gamma (your video looks fine, but that is not how we see it in game), and this doesnt even do it justice because its even darker than shown.

How it should look:
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

The dark void it looks like now:
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

As you can see, I cant even see the armor color of people around me whatsoever. It is a mess. It is entirely unplayable unless I use 3rd party programs. I cant even see people without the nametag above their head.
Last edited by Tankdan; 12-02-2014 at 12:23 AM..
Old 12-02-2014, 12:20 AM
Skeleton

I understand gamma and making the vision spells more useful however I see no difference between races its just all terribly dark. I tried loading 2 clients it kinda helps, my nvidia control panel doesnt help, and loading WinEQ is a terrible sollution. If your gonna make light be more of a factor at least adjust so infravision and ultravision works. Please !
Old 12-02-2014, 12:24 AM
Skeleton

The darkness of the game itself is very classic. Old everquest was a dark and scary place, and p99 has always seemed way too bright. The problem I see is with the UI. I'm having the same problem as lots of folks, everything has its gamma adjusted, not just the game. I can barely see parts of my UI and it even darkens my browser on the 2nd monitor.

Messed around with WinEQ and it fixes the issue completely. Everything seems perfect using this. Looking at your YT vid nilbog everything seems perfect except for your UI as well.
Last edited by Himalayan; 12-02-2014 at 12:51 AM..
Old 12-02-2014, 12:25 AM
Fire Giant

Tankdan's s/s goes someway to showing the problem . Thats pretty much what i see. Like my gfx engine died or something.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:27 AM
Sarnak

What you see in-game is irrelevant. Adjusting EQ gamma adjusts the entire OS' gamma and it makes the rest of my machine practically unusable. Cranked to 100% it's a bit better but still way lower than it should be. If there was a way to adjust ONLY the eqgame.exe gamma, go for it, but if it effects my entire machine, no thanks.

The common denominator for people not having problems vs. people who are having problems seems to be WinEQ2.0. I don't use it, I play in windowed mode with regular EQ client.

Fizzlelina Fizzlezalot <Castle> :: Gnome Necromancer :: Green
Welgrim Stoutslammer <Dawn Believers> :: Dwarf Cleric :: Blue
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
Welgrim's Project 1999 files: https://p99.yourfirefly.com
Old 12-02-2014, 12:30 AM
Orc

Bear in mind that Tankdan took that picture with a device that brightened it a little, automatically. Cell phones and digital cameras do this (like point one at your window during the day then point it at the carpet and watch the rapid gamma correction)
Nilbog, we're trying too, so let me put it this way:

- Your screenshot looks fine right now.
- Because my beta client isn't running right now

- When I load up the new beta client, then tab out to look at your screenshot, your screenshot will look dark as if I'm looking through 4 pairs of stacked-up sunglass lenses at it.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:31 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The thing about classic infravision was it had nothing to do with the gamma (screen brightness). With classic infravision, everything would be just as dark, but the mobs would stand out, they'd have kind of a reddish hue to them and be just a bit brighter. I'm probably not explaining that well enough, though. If infravision doesn't work like that with this patch though, the darkness is pretty pointless imo.
Holy crap, I'd completely forgotten about this until you mentioned it. I recall first starting with a High Elf character outside of Felwithe and being able to spot the bats easy as hell because of their reddish tint in night time hours. Likewise, I was extra pleased with my dark elf magician due to the way Ultravision would cut right through the fog of Rain so it only had a minimal obscuring effect. Made mob dodging in the Karanas so much easier.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:36 AM
Fire Giant

WinEq had the ability to fix gamma and so override the game client i believe. Would rather not use it or f. lux though.
I play window mode. Apparently some gfx cards have options to pre-set gamma for an .exe. Will look into that angle. Its not the darkness that bothers me , its the game looking like pacman 1982 that does.