Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 05:47 PM
Planar Protector

You could also find a cleric or druid in WL who is there for faction and just see if they would heal as you kill giants. Free PL that way.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:50 PM
Kobold

I could never get into a rhythm fear kiting the normal SolB bats camp. Not enough room between spawns coupled with multiple pathers just made for too many adds and had to train of aggro to frequently.

However you can fear kite the bats at the guano camp easily. Pull to the SolA zone line near that camp. There is a torch on the wall I use as my marker. From there snare and fear your bat. About when it gets to the lava p8uts in the guano room just turn back and return to that torch, your fear should break around that time. Once the bat is back to your pull spot just reapply fear. Rinse and repeat until dead.

Use Calm Animal and the zone line to break camp.

Jump shoot to pull the bat on the ledge.

There is a single LDC that paths into the entrance of the Guano room. If someone is camping them it will die before pathing and won't be a problem. If not he can prox aggro your fear kite. What i do is just root him where he enters the room, finish my kite, then zone to clear aggro. LDCs aren't worth killing unless well geared. You might win the fight but then have lots of downtime.

If you kill all 4 bats in guano room with time and mana to spare can go pull a beetle to face tank, easier than the LDCs.
Last edited by Darguth; 01-13-2018 at 05:52 PM..
Old 01-14-2018, 09:49 AM
Sarnak

Been thinking a Tolan bracer would be my next purchase actually. Obviously bow rotting is not the fastest but with a decent bow and unlimited arrows - I assume this is fairly viable seeing as there is no down time and you could kill bigger targets?

How would you say the XP compares to traditional face tanking/fear kiting?
Old 01-15-2018, 11:02 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXG [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Been thinking a Tolan bracer would be my next purchase actually. Obviously bow rotting is not the fastest but with a decent bow and unlimited arrows - I assume this is fairly viable seeing as there is no down time and you could kill bigger targets?

How would you say the XP compares to traditional face tanking/fear kiting?
Tolans does 3 things in my mind:
1.) Opens up your possible solo camps. It's not necessarily faster XP than fear-kiting animals or face-tanking light blues, but you have more options available to you.
2.) You can kill basically anything that can be snared/rooted with your mana pool, it just may take quite awhile.
3.) General convenience of not having to go back and fletch arrows if you've been pulling in an XP group for hours straight.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darguth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Tolans does 3 things in my mind:
1.) Opens up your possible solo camps. It's not necessarily faster XP than fear-kiting animals or face-tanking light blues, but you have more options available to you.
2.) You can kill basically anything that can be snared/rooted with your mana pool, it just may take quite awhile.
3.) General convenience of not having to go back and fletch arrows if you've been pulling in an XP group for hours straight.
^-- Exactly [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Facetanking and fear kiting is a short lived world for rangers. Unless you have epics, fungi, PoS cloak, etc.

I'm lvl 52 with a woodsman and SCHW's. I can solo ravishing drolvargs in Dreadlands with a bow. They rip me apart w/o it. Not sure I could kill one with a full mana bar...maybe with a swarmcaller proc.

With a bow I killed 5 of them (2 ravishers, 3 ragers) in about 25 mins...painfully slow EXP but they jumped me and I just rooted and started working them down. Better than camping out or zoning.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:30 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXG [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Where did you make camp in the north section of EW? or was it more of a track and kill kinda camp? I tried the walrus in the SW area. decent area, lots of mobs, but the HP on them is high and the XP was not great. Slower kills for less reward. Rhinos maybe better?

Thanks again for the thoughtful and detailed replies!
Along the north wall cliff-face, there's a section somewhere in the middle of the map I think where there's a bowl-like depression. There's some low walls with orc scouts and a few giants there, which you can easily tackle if interested. But the better stuff was rhinos that roamed the area and practically walked up to your pull spot that you can pick off, and then fear kite back by the cliff face where nothing comes by.

Quite a few ulthorks here too, most blue and green, if you want a straight up melee fight (save the tusks). The occasional walrus up this way too.
But 90% of the time I was fear kiting rhinos.

Yeah, Velious mobs have a ton of hp. But hey, it's xp. And it's mostly risk free.
I'd rather have a slightly slower kill rate with little downtime than a great xp camp but have to stop to heal and med after every fight.
Closed Thread