Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2022, 02:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yep, other than public education there is zero effort to integrate foreign immigrants to American life

Dems are perfectly happy with them ignoring our traditions and culture and creating little pockets of their own cultures

It’s not a big deal unless those cultures are fucking weird like Muslims not allowing dogs on the block because they are seen as unclean animals. But even if it’s not fucking weird it destroys a sense of community and national unity
So much for the cultural melting pot, I guess

There's always been people pissing into the wind
Old 11-28-2022, 03:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basanos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's the problem.

The pot isn't melting.
Old 11-28-2022, 03:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basanos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

There's always been people pissing into the wind
It’s hard to explain. You can never take someone’s culture away. Yet there’s varying amounts of integration. Not learning English, not ever flying an American flag and only your home country’s, not learning or following any American tradition is not integrating. And this happens, a lot
Old 11-28-2022, 03:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encroaching Death [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's the problem.

The pot isn't melting.
It would be like if I moved to Italy, and then never bothered to learn any Italian. I lived in little town with only other English speaking Americans, and never associated with any Italians. I never bothered to learn any of Italy’s history, traditions, or culture because I had no interest in it

I’m not doing anything illegal or immoral, but I would not be seen as a model immigrant by anyone with a brain. It would be better if I learned a little Italian and about Italy, associated with Italians, and participated in their culture while also showing them some of mine. That’s the ideal
Old 11-28-2022, 03:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It’s hard to explain. You can never take someone’s culture away. Yet there’s varying amounts of integration. Not learning English, not ever flying an American flag and only your home country’s, not learning or following any American tradition is not integrating. And this happens, a lot
I don't think people respect this enough.

Especially for a culturally-mixed "immigrant nation" like Brazil, Canada, or the USA.

A lot of people make fun of flag-waving patriotism, but you ABSOLUTELY need something universal that unites all in the country or else you experience breakdown and cultural fragmentation.

You'll get white America, black America, gay America, republican America, tennis America, etc.

And none of them will work outside their little bubble.

You'll have tiny city-state like communities that are so separated that they'll have vastly different perceptions of reality.

We can be different without being fractured.
Old 11-28-2022, 03:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encroaching Death [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Especially for a culturally-mixed "immigrant nation" like Brazil, Canada, or the USA.

A lot of people make fun of flag-waving patriotism, but you ABSOLUTELY need something universal that unites all in the country or else you experience breakdown and cultural fragmentation.

You'll get white America, black America, gay America, republican America, tennis America, etc.

You'll have tiny city-state like communities that are so separated that they'll have vastly different perceptions of reality.

Yup exactly

It is the hard road, there’s no denying. It’s hard to learn a new language. It’s scary to venture forth in an unfamiliar foreign country

It’s easier and feels safer to form a little bubble and not bother. But the hard road is often the best road to take in life
Old 11-28-2022, 03:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:

50 states is and always was the goal, sorry not sorry. 🇺🇲
Old 11-28-2022, 03:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiwa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
50 states is and always was the goal, sorry not sorry. 🇺🇲
What's your point?

Do you think I want to go on some sort of American Jihad or something?

I'm fine with 50 states.

Decentralized governance is great.

Decentralized culture is not.

It's one thing to have sub cultures, it's a whole other story to have hundreds of self-contained cultures.
Old 11-28-2022, 03:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
That's the problem.

The pot isn't melting.
It was starting to, but then we turned up the heat and now it’s crusty and turning into like hardened, chunky, charred, impossible to scrape off, remains of what was once a pretty good soup.
Old 11-28-2022, 03:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
What's your point?

Do you think I want to go on some sort of American Jihad or something?

I'm fine with 50 states.

Decentralized governance is great.

Decentralized culture is not.

It's one thing to have sub cultures, it's a whole other story to have hundreds of self-contained cultures.
So centralize your state culture and leave the others out of it? Sound good?
Closed Thread