Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 06:57 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default This is why I loved (and still love) Everquest

So my druid recently gained access to the level 24 tier of spells. I went and collected all of them, including Ring of Combines. This spell transports the character to the Dreadlands, a place where a level 24 character can die instantly and easily. Seriously there is absolutely no place for a level 24 character here.
My point is this spell should have been bumped up to the level 34 tier (at least). But this is Everquest, and frequently your character will have to traverse through areas where they have no hope of defeating enemies. I look at WoW and other modern online games, and they just don't have anywhere close to the feeling of extreme danger that Everquest has (or had in Live).
That's why mastering a trade skill or achieving max level is so much more impressive in Everquest than in any modern online game.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:02 PM
Banned

I think the closest WoW ever got was that massive robot that roams in Hellfire Pennsylvania
Old 11-21-2018, 07:35 PM
Fire Giant

Vanilla WoW had Alliance warlocks running through the barrens at level 20 to get their Succubus pet, and Horde shaman right at level 20 were making the trip along the road to Tarran Mill in Hillsbrad as part of the water totem quest. Both ventures on a PvP server meant you were going to die repeatedly before reaching your goal in the early days of the game. It felt like it was intentional in giving the player a hard time.

I agree with your OP in that Everquest gives very little slack to the players, especially in terms of NPC spellcasters. Here on P1999 it feels like the NPC's are given a far more complete set of spell gems to use and they will wreck your day at the drop of a hat. It's a good feeling.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:48 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegaStoat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Vanilla WoW had Alliance warlocks running through the barrens at level 20 to get their Succubus pet
As an "oldschool" warlock I feel like this doesn't really cover the trip of getting both the Succubus and Felhunter spells.

For both you had to get to the Barrens, which you could do 1 of 3 ways:
1. Take the boat from Stranglethorn which had mobs that ranged from 30 to 40 along your path, then travel from midway in the Barrens to the southern portion.
2. Take a boat from Menethil to Theramore and run through Dustwallow Marsh which had mobs 35-40 along your path.
3. Run from the very top of Kalimdor through Darkshore, Ashenvale, and then entirety of the Barrens. Which also required you to run through the horde barricade at the northern portion of the Barrens

You did all of this at RUN speed; no mount, no sow, at both level 20 and 30.

People here love to compare Current WoW to Classic EQ and forget what the world was like in 2004 when you couldn't pull 2 mobs at a time in WoW.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:14 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaringChildren [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think the closest WoW ever got was that massive robot that roams in Hellfire Pennsylvania
I'm almost certain they based that off sand giants roaming oasis
Old 11-21-2018, 08:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tynan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's why mastering a trade skill or achieving max level is so much more impressive in Everquest than in any modern online game.
We have some very impressive individuals on this server then. Some call it mental illness, I call it unwavering commitment to pixels.
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Old 11-21-2018, 10:38 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardp1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We have some very impressive individuals on this server then. Some call it mental illness, I call it unwavering commitment to pixels.
There is that.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:31 AM
Planar Protector

Interestingly ring of the combines is just s velious spell, so you could not port there until 34 during kunark. Though at 34 you still don’t really belong there.

The epic nature of things you encounter and are totally out of your reach as you level was part of the appeal. I suspect tons of people are like me and remember runnng into s sand giant in oasis or a city guard and thinking anyone who could kill it was basically an eq god.
Old 11-22-2018, 04:04 AM
Fire Giant

Don't want to speak about vanilla wow as I only started from halfway through the Burning Crusade but I played from then and 5-6 years. Prior to that I had played EverQuest from 2000-2006.

I do think WoW had its charm for sure and was a great game in certain aspects but there's a reason why I'm drawn back to "classic" EQ and have never thought about playing WoW again.

For me it can be boiled down to:

Making mistakes in EQ has consequences (exp-loss at death).

Achieving goals in EQ is incredibly time consuming (just getting to level 60 without Chardok AoE or other PL takes a LOT of dedication).

Achieving medium and beyond items in EQ requires team work and you are therefor forced to interact with others and at least try to behave.

All of this just meant there was a greater sense of commitment to your character and that helps hugely with immersion imo.
Old 11-22-2018, 05:44 AM
Fire Giant

Send a message via ICQ to applesauce25r624 Send a message via AIM to applesauce25r624

ITT tons of pve plebs that have never stepped foot into the arena
Closed Thread