Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 04-06-2010, 03:34 PM
Sarnak

Default Client just shuts down

I've run across a very irritating problem. I'll be playing the game (usually killing stuff), and the client will just shut down. I assume I go LD. So far, it hasn't caused any deaths, but it's only a matter of time. More importantly, the game is just unplayable if I know the game could crash at any time.

This has just started recently- I was playing fine for three weeks prior, then this past Sunday it happened 3 times within about a half hour of loading up.

I already updated my Nvidia drivers, and it is still happening.

Any ideas?
Old 04-06-2010, 04:13 PM
Sarnak

Could very well deal with the issue the entire serving is facing. Please look at the front page and read Rogeans message to the server.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Sarnak

It's not that I'm going LD, my client is crashing- not locking up, just closing, as if I had hit the X button on the window.

It doesn't make sense to me that it could be related, but do you think it could be? If so, then I won't worry about it. I'll just wait until the issue is over with.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:03 PM
Fire Giant

Hmm no it is not related. I used to have this issue years ago and forgot what i did to fix it. You using any form of WinEQ?
Old 04-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Aviak

This happened to me a few days ago while I was looting my corpse. I picked-up two items and a skeleton ran up and hit me. As soon as it did, the game just vanished. I hadn't seen this problem before and haven't since.

Vista Business 64-bit, 8800 GTS 512

It didn't leave anything in the Application Logs.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:37 PM
Sarnak

No WinEQ, but I am running in Windowed mode. If I try to run in full screen, I have an invisible mouse cursor. THAT problem has been happening for as long as I can remember though, both on live, and in P99.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:12 AM
Aviak

I have the same problem with all of the eqemu servers. Client just randomly shuts down (every couple hours for me, usually after a pull heh)

Anyone have a solutions ?????????
Old 04-14-2010, 10:04 AM
Kobold

Does shutting down apply only to Everquest or does it happens in other 3D games as well?

Im asking because of this season with warmer weather computers tend to run a bit hotter which might cause crashes/freezes..
Old 04-15-2010, 05:01 PM
Sarnak

It doesn't happen in EQ Live, and I don't really play any other games at the moment.

I got to thinking, and I wonder if it might be because of some UI changes I made. I made a bank window without the shared bank, and put in a line that stopped the xml file error from showing up even in default skin- I noticed that happens in live too, so I wonder if it's left unfixed on purpose because the fix causes crashes?

Anyway, the timing is such that it could very well be something I did in the UI files, since it started happening like right after I made that change. It didn't dawn on me until a couple of days ago that that could be it. When the server comes back up, I will give it a try with just the default UI, see if it is still crashing. Actually, I may give it a try in PEQ or something tonight...
Old 04-16-2010, 02:13 PM
Sarnak

Well, I played on PEQ last night for an hour to an hour and a half, and no crash. I'm thinking it's probably something to do with what I did in those UI files. I guess I'll just live with having shared bank slots on my bank window.

If it turns out it's still crashing, I'll update.