Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 02:46 PM
Aviak

Default Question for melee people's

Hi all..

So I had a thought today... I have never played a melee class in everquest .. I have always liked having the convince of having gate bind spells etc.. but I wondered how melee classes are if you start with nothing..I have taken a long hiatus so starting with nothing.

So melee classes.. solo wise how do they get on? Bards for example I know can solo AE kite but can they solo in other ways? With no gear can soloing be posible

I'm intreeged by monks and bards and very randomly rangers. When I come back someone posted to say maybe try something different with a second chance of playing classic eq... So I thought why not.

Any advice would be helpful I'm currently grinding out a shammy which is fun
Old 05-03-2020, 09:53 PM
Kobold

Bards are super efficient soloers, with mana free charm and snare+fear There’s a lot you can do and soloing to 50 is no problem. My bard is lvl 48 and I’ve been grinding in SolB and felwithe solo easy with shit gear. I don’t have enough experience on the other two classes to comment.
Old 05-03-2020, 10:12 PM
Sarnak

Soloing in Felwithe at 48? I’m intrigued. Just charming the guards or what? I’m currently levelling a Bard on green and interested in camps like this for the future.
Old 05-03-2020, 11:07 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgo86 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Soloing in Felwithe at 48? I’m intrigued. Just charming the guards or what? I’m currently levelling a Bard on green and interested in camps like this for the future.
My discord is Chooochooo#0834 I’ll make an OBS of it tomorrow that I can send you, it’s relatively straight forward fear kiting once you get the camp split(which takes some finesse). The drum dots do really good damage.
Last edited by ChooChoo Train; 05-03-2020 at 11:10 PM..
Old 05-03-2020, 11:20 PM
Planar Protector

Bards aren't melee... Really more like casters.

A set of banded and fine steel is enough for any melee to hit level 15..

Melees play more like leveling their gear than grinding for exp. It is not usually possible to camp upgrades unless you group. So that leaves farming greens or camping stuff like ruined bone fork for 300p at a go.

I don't typically enjoy going after hard mobs on my casters anymore and play them more like melees. It's painful not being able to bind on a low pop server.

The pop is great and the economy perfect on green however. It is I am sure possible to casually get full mithral and some decent weapons by the time kunark will launch.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:05 AM
Planar Protector

If you want to be a pure melee and solo then monk is your best bet. They are surprisingly good at efficient exp grinding, but worse at hard target soloing than other melee. They can single pull mobs with a little effort and they can back out of most fights that aren't going their way with FD. Additionally, their skills keep increasing from 40 to 50 when all other melee classes skills stop until 51.

If not monk then Ranger or SK are your best bets for solo. Both make up for their weaker defensive or offensive capabilities with a set of useful spells. High level soloing with these two will either be fearkiting or root and shoot/cast.

Like others said, bard plays more like a caster than a melee.
Last edited by jolanar; 05-04-2020 at 08:14 AM..
Old 05-04-2020, 08:40 PM
Sarnak

Monk is so multifaceted for a melee. You do exchange survival ability for being able to save others but if you learn your craft and can both split, and keep camps split you'll protect your group. Solo monk gets to explore and lay hate and so often a get out of jail free card with FD and mend. You will never feel so free crawling through a new dungeon than with a monk who mastered Feign death. Even laying there while mobs that will tear you to shred go about their business is a rush.

I've played monk on blue and green. Monk on green is a grind and you feel like a burden in the dips role, monk on blue is a joy where you feel like a superhero "can you link your weapon?". It's just a 50pp wu's quivering staff. ;-)
Old 05-05-2020, 05:16 AM
Sarnak

wus quivering staff, silver chitin hand wraps, 55hp rings = my budget monk. lvl14 in maybe 10 hours. seems fun so far
Old 05-05-2020, 05:29 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by unleashedd [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
wus quivering staff, silver chitin hand wraps, 55hp rings = my budget monk. lvl14 in maybe 10 hours. seems fun so far
I took my monk to the 40s with this and bristlesilk armour (looks like velious quest, actually is cloth). Mostly solo. That was before the meleebandage was made less reliable. Monks are ridiculously OP, especially iksar. 40ish was farming Thurgadin critter caves for dorf heads and silks. Replaced bristesilk with crystalline silk (cured silk with +mr).

Did most of the epic solo on my 60 ranger, a couple of fights I needed a heal and extra dps class. AG kindly helped with Bro Z, Gwarn and Xeno. Killed an extra monk bro for a second robe and replaced schw with the sky rot haste belt.

Did the monk shackle quest a couple of times for the bronze and steel shackles. Use jboots for magic kick, got a ww dragon neck and made sure to pick up a sarnak earring of the station.

All pretty easy to attain gear, seems to work well enough even in the 50s. If you want a low effort / cheap monk build on blue with some questing fun I don't think you'd go too wrong doing something similar.
Old 05-05-2020, 06:15 AM
Sarnak

noob Q: combat bind wound macro please?

ill paste it into wiki
Closed Thread