Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Resolved Issues

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 02:28 PM
Planar Protector

From this dev letter and EQClerics thread, Shawl 5 and Shawl 6 should not be in game at this point (not until May 2001). Based on the Dev letter, Ring 10 should not be in until May or later either as he was still working on it.

https://web.archive.org/web/20010509...ML/000144.html

May 3, 2001 Dev Letter from ABSOR
Quote:
_spirit_ wrote:
First thing to say is congratulations on the Thurgadin Quests. When you advance to the next stage of the quest you feel a true sense of accomplishment as you have worked hard, worked on your skills and then got a nicer item than you had before.

What i'm asking for is that the Coldain Prayer Shawl quest series be continued. I am up to the top level of the quest as it is and the Loremaster hints about further quests which will exist so why can't they? I'm starting the Insignia ring quests for the faction with the Dain and they follow the same pattern as the Shawls which I love, so can us poor casters have a new shawl, a velium crested prayer shawl or something with all all 5's using another skill, fletching for example so you help equip the soldiers for their endless fight against the

Kromrif

The designer of those quests, one Steve Burke, wanted to respond to your question. After paying my fee, he had this to say:

quote:
I'm just wrapping up the last quest in the ring series and plan to continue the shawl quests next. Sorry for the delay, but some of these get a bit involved and time consuming.

I hope you'll feel that the remaining steps in the shawl quest will have been well worth the wait.

- Steve Burke

I have to say that I occasionally peek over Steve's shoulder when he's working on these things (I'm fascinated by the coolness of these quests), and there are a lot of things to work out with them. Not the least of which is that in order to test them he has to gather enough people and run through them, and these quests and epic battles are long and complicated. A great blast to play, and even to test, but time consuming.

So there's no slacking going on there, it just takes time to produce a quality product.

And I was kidding about the fee…

Alan

http://www.eqclerics.org/forums/show...ght=silk+shawl
May 13, 2001

Quote:
The 5th Shawl Quest
This sucker was put into the game last patch, and it will be VERY long and tedious.

Essentially, you need master tailoring, 5 uncommon/rare drops off shardwurms, and 75 (yes, SEVENTY-FIVE) rare drops off spiders in Velketor (any spider supposedly). Drop rates are in the neighborhood of 1-2 per hour.

Acquaintance in-game I talked to, said Verant expected less than 25% of casters/healers to finish THIS part of the quest, not to mention the other parts. That said, Verant realizes the time put in, and will be marked accordingly. Sorry, I don't have a link.

This is going to be long and tedious, not to mention the fact that my acquaintance was "babysitting" a group in Velketor (at zone-in), and was getting about 1 item (crystalline silk THREAD I believe they are called) per hour.

http://www.eqclerics.org/forums/show...ght=silk+shawl
May 17, 2001
Quote:
reetings fellow clerics!

I had a lot of fun doing the first Shawl-Quests (even collecting Griffon-Eggs were really a pain).
Raising Pottery and Baking up to a good level (Both about 150 now) were quite time consuming, but sometimes very relaxing from the raids.

All in all I was hoping to get a Shawl equivalent to the ring, with some side-stats (maybe flowing thought on 8th shawl or something like that). Ring-Quests were kinda easy and with some help can be done in two days.

Now I get to see the 5th and 6th prayer shawl quest. It?s so ridiculous:

5 Glowing Biles from Shardwurms
75 Crystalline Silk Threads from Spiders

They are upping drops for Threads now, so I won?t comment on the drop-rate here now, that?s not my issue anyway.

If you got all these things done, you have to combine it with your old shawl and if you fail, you will lose it. That?s sick.

Result of 5th Shawl:
AC 5, 5 WIS, 5 INT, 5 Vs Cold
No side-effects, no side-reward-item

Then we come to the 6th Shawl:
You need: Woven Frost Giant Beard, Two Siren?s Hairs, Two Manticore Manes and Two Drakel Dire Wolf Whiskers. Also need your 5th Shawl for that. If your skill is not high enough, you will lose the 5th shawl.

Result of 6th Shawl:
AC 6, 6 WIS, 6 INT, 6 Vs Cold
No side-effects, no side-reward-item

So far, so good (or not, since I don?t like camping greens that much).

BUT: What really annoys me and is really pissing me off, is this:
When you tailor these shawls, you need to be master tailor. They were NOT (I repeat NOT) trivial at a tailoring skill of 161.

If this isn?t sick, then I don?t know what it is. Is there even a chance that you lose a ring during the quests in the beginning?

I love the quote from the questgiving NPC: "...I can see from the look you in eye that you desire to burn your sewing kit in our furnace,..."
Old 08-11-2015, 02:39 PM
Planar Protector

EQClerics - May 2001

Quote:
This sucker was put into the game last patch, and it will be VERY long and tedious.

Essentially, you need master tailoring, 5 uncommon/rare drops off shardwurms, and 75 (yes, SEVENTY-FIVE) rare drops off spiders in Velketor (any spider supposedly). Drop rates are in the neighborhood of 1-2 per hour.

Acquaintance in-game I talked to, said Verant expected less than 25% of casters/healers to finish THIS part of the quest, not to mention the other parts. That said, Verant realizes the time put in, and will be marked accordingly. Sorry, I don't have a link.

This is going to be long and tedious, not to mention the fact that my acquaintance was "babysitting" a group in Velketor (at zone-in), and was getting about 1 item (crystalline silk THREAD I believe they are called) per hour.
Bah Ele FTCQ'd me (First to Classic Quest)
Last edited by Daldaen; 08-11-2015 at 02:43 PM..
Old 08-11-2015, 10:01 PM
Fire Giant

Was wondering about 10th Ring and the Shawls, didn't think they were added in until later.

Think 9th Ring wasn't added until a later date as well? Not sure.

Lose Shawl if failed combine, that was some sick shit and wasn't fixed until later.
Last edited by Treats; 08-11-2015 at 10:03 PM..
Old 08-12-2015, 04:45 PM
Sarnak

9th and 10th ring were definitely later.

I know 8th shawl took a while to implement, but not sure about the others.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:08 PM
Planar Protector

Arctic Wyvern Armor and Thurgadin Gate Potion non-functional for 4 months (March 2001).

This also means that Shawl #4 shouldn't be in game in addition to the gate potion for a few more months.

https://web.archive.org/web/20010331...eqtraders.com/

Quote:
03/15/01-3/16/01
Even though folks were told to "check your books" by Verant, scouring the lands high and low has found nothing new in any books. The jewelry book text has been modified a bit, but contains nothing new. The only other "book" is the Terorantula silk stuff, which was live a week ago, and is totally useless until the silk is in game. Arctic wyvern armor doesn't count as new, because the recipe has been in-game since Velious launched, just nonfunctional. There are a couple of new things, but not from any book we've found ... a) there's a new pottery recipe for a Thurgadin quest, that can be used to make a no drop Thurgadin Gate potion. b) at least one velium weapon can now be smithed, possibly more. It wasn't found from a book, but from experimentation. Keep up the good work on trying stuff out and posting results, folks!

Bah ... the children are loose on the message boards without their babysitters again. Please ignore them, the more you respond to them, the more likely they are to continue here with their antics. Nuff said.

I'm pretty fed up/burnt out due to a lot of things right now, and will be taking several steps back to take a few deep breaths. I'll likely be less visible in-game for a while, which means less speedy verification of some information for the site. Hang in there, folks, the idjits may have me down, but I'm not giving up yet.
March 28, 2001 Velious Tailoring recipes now require Coldain Tanner's Kit

Quote:
03/28/01
Velious recipes now need the Coldain Tanner's Kit. Imagine that. Almost 4 months AFTER the recipes are put in game, they retroactively "fix" the recipes to not work in a normal sewing kit, wait a day, then announce they were supposed to use a different kit all along, then they bring down Thurgadin on all servers to patch in said Tanner's Kit. Oh, SO sorry for the inconvenience folks, this is what we intended all along, but had to do bass-ackwards "fix" before we bothered telling anyone about the fix, nor before we fixed the recipe books or put the kit in place. That's no way to run a business.

Before this patch, earlier today, I posted about the Velious tailoring problems, and counseled patience, since I had faith that Verant would find the problem and fix it. Foolish halfling. My rose-colored glasses are now ground into dust, and the only thing I have faith in is that they've finally pushed me over the edge. Even when I've been upset at how things are working, and upset with snerts in-game, I've tried VERY hard to put a positive spin on things and not degenerate into Verant-bashing, but right now I am SO steamed at the folks responsible for this mismanaged "fix" that it isn't funny. It's taken two years, but I've lost my faith in them ... but not in the wonderful folks in this tradeskill community, so I'll keep plugging along, somehow, for your sake.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:29 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

I have been farming the wolves in GD as a 54 necro with almost zero downtime over the last week for a total of around 8 hrs. I have easily killed close to 200+ wolves during this time.

I have gotten over 30+ Giant heads , 8 Toes, 5 beards, 10+ lore belts, 30 + HQ pelts all during my time hunting here, I am now Kindly to them just from farming wolf whiskers, and I have yet to see a single Drakkel Wolf Whisker.

It could have been a very unlucky week for me, put I can not see this drop being at 5% currently.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:00 AM
Planar Protector

See the above replies. Wolf whiskers won't drop for 5 months.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:30 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

So they wont be dropping for a few more months? First reply from a dev says they are 5% drop rate, then the next reply it says something about not dropping until a timeline.

Im a little confused on what time frame P99 is currently in, and this was the first time I heard anything about shawl 6 and 7 not being attainable in p99 right now. Everyone I asked didn't know they are not in the game also.

So its confirmed shawl 6 and 7 are not in p99 for 5 more months? If so I should go update the wiki to inform players they are unattainable at the moment, so they don't waste there time farming stuff that does not drop like I did =( .
Old 08-14-2015, 09:03 AM
Planar Protector

Correct.

So the devs have the drop in the database set to 5%, however it won't be toggled ON to where it will drop until it meets the date requirement they associated with it.

Basically this allows them to automate updates in their patches without having to manually remember this should be added in 5 months. Once they change the server's date to May 2001, it will automatically start dropping (likely after a patch around then).

We are currently in December 2000, the weeks following Velious Launch (December 5th 2000?)
Old 08-14-2015, 09:20 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Ok thanks alot Daldaen. I will go update the wiki to show shawl 6 and 7 are not currently in the game.
Closed Thread