Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 03:14 AM
Banned

Default I hate you, but I cannot quit you - a failed warriors blog

In the beginning(late vanilla), I made a wood elf warrior, all starting stats into stamina and I farmed a suit of crafted armor, got myself some diamondine earrings, fbss and some weapons. I only really held agro once in awhile but I stuck with it because SSoYs were a thing. But they refused to proc with my lowass 80 DEX. Deleted it at level 40

Flash forward to mid-Kunark I rerolled a dwarf warrior, all starting stats into DEX and things were good for a time, but I started slipping holding agro again, had to rely heavily on my teammates to wait to nuke, taught many a rogues what Evade is, and monks to not fail FD and asked many people to root, fancyass dwarven armor, a big stick... Deleted it at level 45.

Then, an ogre warrior happened, all starting stats into DEX, ogre zek armor, frostbringer/venom axe, SCHW/mith girdle, 220~ unbuffed str, half my inventory was silk nets, an emergency mallet, 2, 10 slot bags full of max range arrows with a runed oak bow, deleted at mid 30s a few hours ago.

Back on Live, I was a paladin from Vanilla to whenever WoW came out, I always kinda envied warriors but after fucking around on P99 as a leveling warrior with no aspirations for end game content I realize how good I had it.

I do not know how the fuck you warriors got to 60 and became required badasses but fuck that shit getting there
Old 12-02-2016, 08:01 AM
Sarnak

I feel your pain. Everyone always rags on Rangers, but back in Classic a Warrior was *horrible* to level up. You want to play the tank role, yet you can't because you can't hold aggro - which is made worse with all the epic Rogues and Monks running around. It wasn't until Luclin, really, that the aggro proc WAR weapons starting dropping in abundance and made holding aggro much easier.

Before then? Pain and suffering.
I salute all the Warriors out there. It's a long, hard road. Much harder than mine by far.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:41 AM
Planar Protector

Don't feel to bad about rogues and monks generating more aggro than you; they also have similar defensive skills to you so if they have enough worn AC they can take a few hits :P.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:23 PM
Planar Protector

Your problem is you aren't thinking big picture. The goal is to kill things as fast as possible. If you have a Rogue and Shaman with itchy trigger fingers who open with backstab and slow and end up tanking 50% of the fight? Guess what: as long as you aren't waiting on healer mana a warrior is actually BETTER than a Knight in these situations due to superior damage.

Also, warriors are worst in the 40s and start to get better at 50 IMO. Combat skills go up again, you get better gear with more dex (and better shaman buffs) and most importantly fights last longer.

Finally, if you are dead set on tanking 90% of the time, a Bioluminescent Orb and a monk who doesn't mind pulling on top of you will solve your problems.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:18 PM
Fire Giant

I'm about to deck out a warrior because I want a melee to level but I refuse to be Monk#_457657834.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:40 AM
Planar Protector

Root the mobs and use proximity for easy aggro on War. All casters but mage can root and a mage shouldn't be stealing aggro anyway.

A rogue should never tank as evade works wonders.

A monk can use FD to evade.

/shrug
Old 12-05-2016, 11:33 AM
Planar Protector

Daymn 3 deleted warrior toons - rq much?
Old 12-06-2016, 04:39 AM
Fire Giant

I kinda did the same. When I was new I made a warrior. He had no haste, bronze, and used pgt/screaming mace. Made it to ~20 I think. When I won my first fungi I made an iksar warrior and loaded her up with full dex gear. Still quit at 20. I'm currently gearing up a gnome warrior. He has Frostbringer/Velium Axe of Venemous Brood and full non-diety dwarven plate.
But I haven't started playing him yet. I have a 58 Epic Paladin and a 42 SK. I'm gonna get the SK to 50 and then probably strip her to play the warrior.
We'll see how it goes.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:30 PM
Banned

warrior sucks until evasive discipline and only shines in raid scenarios

I'm glad I raided with mine so I learned this

would never play eq war again though
Old 12-08-2016, 01:57 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarlorn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
warrior sucks until evasive discipline and only shines in raid scenarios

I'm glad I raided with mine so I learned this

would never play eq war again though
Daenerys once told me regarding tanks; if you want to raid dragons roll a warrior. If you want a good group tank make a paladin. Obviously this is paraphrasing what he told me, but I think that pretty much sums up the warrior class on p99.
Closed Thread