Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 03:00 PM
Fire Giant

Default Lord of the Rings TV Show

Apologies if this is already known here. Browsed the first 5 pages here at the forums and saw no mention of it.

I just discovered this show was in pre-production(?) today. Not usually a fan of TV at all, mostly because I like the idea of a story having a beginning, middle, and end which television is usually incapable of. I've made a few exceptions when the premise / praise is especially clear for good TV. I won't get my hopes up but this seems like it could be OK with Peter Jackson at the helm, despite what some people think about The Hobbit.

What are you guys hoping they'll base this show on? There doesn't seem to be any details about the plot (at least as far as I can find). A redditor was talking about them being restricted from using LOTR or The Hobbit content, though I have no idea how much truth that holds. I'm hoping it pulls source material from The Silmarillion and tells one of the many stories there. If it is just a remake of the One Ring quest with a new cast, I'm gonna be very disappoint doggo.

Some ideas I saw and shamelessly ripped from the reddit post that seem really good:

- The awakening of the Elves
- The rise of Melkor and the creation of Orcs
- The creation and awakening of the Dwarves
- The forging of the Silmarils by Fëanor
- The Darkening of Valinor (the destruction of the Two Trees and theft of the Silmarils by Melkor and Ungoliant)
- The awakening of Men
- The Tale of Beren and Lúthien
- The destruction of Doriath by the Sons of Fëanor over possession of the Silmarils
- The War of Wrath

Newshub article with minor bits of info:
http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/entert...gs-series.html

Reddit link where I originally found the story:
https://www.reddit.com/r/television/...ns_reported_1/
Last edited by d3r14k; 04-06-2018 at 03:02 PM..
Old 04-06-2018, 05:36 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3r14k [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I won't get my hopes up but this seems like it could be OK with Peter Jackson at the helm, despite what some people think about The Hobbit.
Cringe @ Hobbit criticism.

The source material ain't no LOTR. The Hobbit largely sucks for a screen adaptation. Jackson did an amazing job with the series.

Can't believe some losers in a basement have something to say about it. I guess they haven't read the book.

PKer & Master Trainer and Terrorist of Sullon Zek
Kills: 1278, Deaths: 76, Killratio: 16.82
Old 04-06-2018, 11:45 PM
Planar Protector

Beren and Luthien would only make sense to those who know The Silmarillion. Gonna keep an ear out for more info on this tho'. Why not what Sauron was doing after the 2nd age until he was forced out of Mirkwood by the Wizard Counsel?
Old 04-07-2018, 10:15 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzzarTheGod [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That sentence was really less about criticism and more about cynicism and managing expectations, but I guess you can jump right to the basement insult if you want. I actually enjoyed the Hobbit trilogy but I don't think it needed to be 3x movies.

Another thing I found out was the budget on this beast. Amazon Prime(?) is trying to set this show up to be the next big fantasy series, at least in terms of financial backing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahldagor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why not what Sauron was doing after the 2nd age until he was forced out of Mirkwood by the Wizard Counsel?
It seems like there is a ton of potential for them to focus on shorter stories like this and really encourage worldbuilding with a TV series. I think The Silmarillion in general was really intended as more of a tool from Tolkien to expand his universe than as a vessel for individual stories, but there is some great stuff to pull from in there for sure.
Last edited by d3r14k; 04-07-2018 at 10:23 AM..
Old 04-07-2018, 12:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzzarTheGod [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

The source material ain't no LOTR. The Hobbit largely sucks for a screen adaptation. Jackson did an amazing job with the series.

Can't believe some losers in a basement have something to say about it. I guess they haven't read the book.
.... the hobbit is... not good. It’s a mess. It has none of the emotion LOTR had. However, I don’t think it’s Jackson’s fault. The studio kind of rushed it out the door. It definitely doesn’t help that almost a years worth of pre production was scrapped and Del Toro was replaced. Jackson DID NOT want to direct. It’s just a sad story of how big companies can ruin franchises. I don’t hate the films, there are some genuinely awesome moments. But god the amount of filler crap makes me sick.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don’t hate the films, there are some genuinely awesome moments. But god the amount of filler crap makes me sick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3r14k [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think it needed to be 3x movies.
This. No matter who directed it or what the timetable was, the idea of making 3 movies out of one book (a book that's smaller than any of the LotR books!) was just a complete failure from the start.

Even if Jackson had teamed up with del Toro and then just for fun brought in Spielberg, and they had ten years to make the whole thing, it still wouldn't have changed the fact that there wasn't enough content, and there still would have been enough filler to make Tolkien roll over in his grave.

Luckily people have edited the three films down by removing the crap: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheHobbit/c..._fanedits_and/. If I ever re-watch the Hobbit it will definitely be one of those edits.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:04 PM
Planar Protector

The hobbits are coming!

I can only see this working if it's on the level of game of thrones or similar shows. Mature and serious, minus the dongs.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:20 PM
Fire Giant

Production is estimated at $1 billion, and the series is reported to be 5 seasons long (though no talk of number of episodes per season or episode length, so 5 seasons is kind of arbitrary at this point).

Looks like they may start with Aragorn's earlier story? I'm still only seeing nuggets of information on this show. It looks like they're definitely playing the "try-hard" card here which I appreciate. Seeing anything less than the gold standard for Tolkien IP would be pretty sad.

https://www.reddit.com/r/television/...s_series_will/

https://www.maxim.com/entertainment/...seasons-2018-6
Last edited by d3r14k; 06-04-2018 at 02:22 PM..
Old 06-04-2018, 02:30 PM
Planar Protector

Wow so much material. They better not focus on Aragon...
Old 06-04-2018, 02:56 PM
Banned

Hopefully Peter Jackson is the lead guy on this. The hobbit was garbage, but that's due mostly to the expectation of 9 hours of dramatic cinema for a 200 page book. His work on LOTR was amazing. I was reminded of this recently when I watched Theodens speech at Pelennor Fields.

The problem with the Hobbit, and the problem with any future Tolkien-based adaptation is that 21st century audiences demand constant dopamine release through graphic violence and sexuality. Tolkien really doesn't deliver that much violence, and ALMOST NO sexuality in his books. Aside from the amazing lore and world design, I feel that Tolkien's universe is not a good fit for mass consumption unless it is (again) irredeemably altered.

What is it likely for them to focus on? The truly great stuff in the Silmarillion will be glossed over. The Awakening at Lake Cuivenen is just not paced correctly. It would be a short scene at most. Beren and Luthien I could see, plenty of action there. Children of Hurin is also a pretty good candidate for a tragic adaptation. They'll have to tackle the setting, which is confusing to people who haven't autistically studied the history of Arda from its conception thru the wars of Beleriand to Middle Earth etc.

My guess is that they'll fill in non-canon lore gaps. Istari are popular. Perhaps they'll put Aragorn and the Blue Wizards together in a fake news adventure. By the way, the Blue Wziards are Krishna and Buddha.

Early Aragorn tales are appealing because he's a handsome human. The problem they'll face is that he also massacred black people which is not very SJ. THey also have a great potential for Dwarf Wars following their departure from Erebor and the attempted reclamation of Moria. They touched on this in the Hobbit.

I honestly doubt they'll be able to capture the majesty of Valinor and the events that took place there without relying too heavily on CGI, which will ruin the experience.

If I had to pick, I'd like to see the events leading up the the Fall of Gondolin and the Fall itself. I'd like to see Fingolfin lead his host across the Helcaraxe. I'd like to see Fingolfin fight Morgoth. The Caves of Nargothrond are also a good choice.

The problem with any of this is that they have to have the right mix of human and non-human. otherwise it doesn't appeal to the audience enough.
Closed Thread