Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 03:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I can't really discuss with you because you don't discuss in good faith. You force your opinion out there and then ignore things people say that contradict it. I've had this exact same conversation with you before.

How many servers did you play on in live during the classic era? Because I was CSR on a ton of them in addition to the couple that I played on. And many of those had player made lists for various camps. I wouldn't say there were extensive lists for a thing like Beads, but things like JBoots pre-quest, the AC after, etc. had player made lists on many servers. Often times quite long ones. The only reason that some people didn't spend days on the list was because account sharing wasn't common because people didn't trust each other. If people had trusted each other with their accounts, then you would have seen a character sitting at a camp for days.

As an aside, saying that people didn't sit for more than 24 hours at any camp in the game is crazy talk. Classic EQ is filled with stories of people doing this at certain camps because of how crazy rare some items, spawns, or quest drops were. Think about Hadden and Grimrot as simple examples. Plenty of people have spent more than 24 hours at those camps.

I extensively experienced the majority of EQ's servers in the classic era when combined with CSR and the couple servers I played on. I'm guessing you experienced maybe 5 at absolute most. Quit acting like your experience and opinion is what the rest of classic EQ players experienced. What you experienced is likely not what some other people experienced because it varied by server.
So is there any evidence of these multi-day long lists in the classic era? Surely someone would have talked about them on a forum?

I'd be especially interested in ones that went even longer than 48 hours, but really anything >24 hours would be interesting.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 08-17-2021, 04:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So is there any evidence of these multi-day long lists in the classic era? Surely someone would have talked about them on a forum?

I'd be especially interested in ones that went even longer than 48 hours, but really anything >24 hours would be interesting.
We all know there wasn't because people didn't know the items were being removed.

Also, how strong did people think a manastone, prenerf staff, or elder beads were?

They probably had no idea.
Old 08-17-2021, 04:30 PM
Sarnak

They didn't hold the same value/utility on live because they were nerfed and/or outclassed in subsequent expansions.
P99: [52 Champion] Alysane (Barbarian) <Auld Lang Syne>
SZ : [65 Lord Protector] Cochise (Erudite) <Sanctus Lumen>
Old 08-17-2021, 04:34 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
They didn't hold the same value/utility on live because they were nerfed and/or outclassed in subsequent expansions.
There was also no idea that the items would be nerfed / removed, so it wasnt a mad dash to grab "legacy" items that at the time weren't legacy.
Old 08-17-2021, 04:38 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I'm sure there's lots of stories where people said they spent 24, 48, or 60 hours at a camp back then but the probability of 'plenty of people' spending 24 hours+ at one camp continuously like /list encourages in the days of dial-up and spotty ISDN lines within the first 3 expansions is hard to swallow. Especially considering, as others have stated, the value of most of these items wasn't really known until after they were removed.
Old 08-17-2021, 04:50 PM
Sarnak

The easiest solution is to just not camp these items if you don't want them

You can get along just fine without having a mana stone
Old 08-17-2021, 05:00 PM
Planar Protector

Fundamental disagreements and differences in preferences seem to make this a futile debate.

Some people want a "classic look and feel" while others want "classic rules as they were."

Then the "look and feel" has numerous hues which different people ascribe to. We also had different servers with different norms in classic.

Ultimately, the owners of the playground enforce their own rules. You poor elves are at their whim.
Old 08-17-2021, 05:24 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle2.0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Fundamental disagreements and differences in preferences seem to make this a futile debate.

Some people want a "classic look and feel" while others want "classic rules as they were."

Then the "look and feel" has numerous hues which different people ascribe to. We also had different servers with different norms in classic.

Ultimately, the owners of the playground enforce their own rules. You poor elves are at their whim.
This. It's always been the NilRog show at the end of the day, and they've put out a hell of a product for us all to enjoy for free. If you enjoy playing here, don't forgot to donate so we can have another decade of P99 EQ fun!
Old 08-17-2021, 05:31 PM
Planar Protector

The other factor is the speed of expansions.

Kunark one year after release, Velious 8 months later, and SoL one year after that.

In 2.5 years your're on the Moon and all these items are a distant memory.

If we're doing perpetual classic servers for the next decade, maybe come up with a better solution.
Old 08-17-2021, 05:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synphul [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm sure there's lots of stories where people said they spent 24, 48, or 60 hours at a camp back then but the probability of 'plenty of people' spending 24 hours+ at one camp continuously like /list encourages in the days of dial-up and spotty ISDN lines within the first 3 expansions is hard to swallow. Especially considering, as others have stated, the value of most of these items wasn't really known until after they were removed.
You think people didn't know the value of JBoots? Lol

We're not just talking about the current /list items here
Closed Thread