Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 09:46 AM
Planar Protector

Default Shaman Question

I am working on a limited budget, hate to spend money on things that I can't trade again (like spells, MQs, etc.).

My new shaman is currently lvl 56. I have about 90k saved up from just playing him (I don't want to borrow money from another toon or sell any items off the others).

Should I buy the shaman epic mq? Or just keep playing to 60 and buy torpor?

Ideally I will have enough money for both (I don't plan on guilding the shaman, so there is no chance of getting a legit tear), but currently I'm holding out. Over all, Torpor seems much more useful to me than the epic with the exception of solo'ing for exp. The only solo'ing I plan to do after 60 is for loot farming or helping friends out.

Thoughts? If you had to choose between epic and torpor, which would you take? Eventually, I'll get both so really asking which is worth getting first.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:01 AM
Planar Protector

Torpor for soloing big things, epic for xp / loots on lots of small things?

IMO epic to xp, and then save up / do VP wurms and get a torpor?
Old 01-15-2018, 10:11 AM
Planar Protector

Get your epic, and search for a good price. If you got it today than it would carry you to 60 (your epic dot for root rotting) Then at 60 you can worry about torp.
Epic is anywhere from 40k to 80k now-a-days I believe. I remember when shm epic use to cost 10-15k tops.
Then if you do manage to find someone willing to sell it for a reasonable price it leaves you with plat for other spells (malo, bane, pox, avatar, etc)
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 01-15-2018 at 10:14 AM..
Old 01-15-2018, 12:15 PM
Planar Protector

I'd say it depends mainly on how fast you want to level. Your epic will flat out increase your leveling speed on anything you root/rot, which will make a big difference in 56-59.

On the other hand though, if you're leveling quickly enough already Torpor is definitely more powerful. So would you rather get through 56-59 faster or would you rather have the more powerful shaman when you hit 60?

Personally I'd do Torpor, but that's just because it took me forever to save up for it. If I knew I could earn another 60k plat fairly easily I'd do the Epic, because ultimately you'll want both and you'll get so much more mileage from the epic if you get it earlier on.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:40 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naethyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Join a guild that does fear and save yourself a bunch of cash. Then just get raid gear and a dropped torpor not even need the plat anyways.
Right, then use the 60 to twink a ranja like everybody else does [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-20-2018, 05:19 AM
Fire Giant

They’re both incredible features but no doubt once at 60 Torpor is by far more essential. Basically every single “shaman solo” camp, be that A4 in PoM, Crypt in Sebilis, Cliff Golems, WW dragons or something else is flat out impossible without Torpor. Most if not all are possible (if somewhat more tiresome/problematic) without epic.

Otoh like others have mentioned your leveling process from 55-60 will be solo-enabled and much, much easier and enjoyable with epic.

I bought child’s tear at lvl 47 and certainly never regretted it. I was then fortunate enough to be able to loan 100k for Torpor when I dinged 60. Took me about 2-3 months to farm plat with my epic/torpor shaman to pay it all back. And that was not playing the shaman every day or power farming all the time. Point is, a torpor shaman can farm 100k in a few months, a torporless epic shaman cannot (at least not by soloing). Make of that what you will [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by commongood; 01-20-2018 at 05:42 AM..
Old 01-21-2018, 11:04 AM
Planar Protector

Thanks for the responses.

Pretty much where I am is that I am just going to level to 60 and buy/farm Torpor as a priority.

The main utility in having the epic is the ability to lvl easier, faster, and solo...but I'm enjoying the group game as it is and chugging along towards 60.

If I were to buy the epic now I would definitely not have another 80k for a Torpor most likely. On the other side, it seems that I can farm pp for the epic MQ relatively easily at 60 with Torpor.

The most tempting thing has been not selling stuff on other toons. When I rolled the shaman it was meant to be a "self-contained" alt. No twinking, etc. Overall, it has been much more fun this way...but the last few levels have been tempting me to dip into the bank.

Several folks have also PM'd me suggesting that I just join a guild and deguild after they give me my epic and torpor. I guess that's the easiest way, but I'm resisting that too...
Old 01-21-2018, 11:11 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboy21 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Several folks have also PM'd me suggesting that I just join a guild and deguild after they give me my epic and torpor. I guess that's the easiest way, but I'm resisting that too...
Are you serious? I’m sorry but that’s incredibly poor form. I mean by all means I would suggest joining a guild and earning epic and torpor rather than having to buy them. But to deliberately have the intention of ditching that guild as soon as you’ve been awarded epic and torpor just seems strange and cynical as fuck. Do you specifically not want to be in a guild?
Old 01-21-2018, 11:18 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by commongood [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Are you serious? I’m sorry but that’s incredibly poor form. I mean by all means I would suggest joining a guild and earning epic and torpor rather than having to buy them. But to deliberately have the intention of ditching that guild as soon as you’ve been awarded epic and torpor just seems strange and cynical as fuck. Do you specifically not want to be in a guild?
I agree with you. I don't plan to do that either. I was just sharing some of the PMs I got.

one of them was actually from an officer in a guild saying that they needed new shamans and that I could always leave if I didn't enjoy the guild at any time (including after getting my torpor).

I did get some positive PMs too with actual ethical advice on how to farm a torpor.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:20 AM
Fire Giant

Wow, yeah fair enough. To get back on topic;l: if you grouping Moreso than soloing then I’d agree on saving money for torpor.
Closed Thread