Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 06:23 PM
Sarnak

Default Good Fantasy Series

Hail! I am looking for some recommendations for a good fantasy book series. I was on a science fiction binge for a while, and am about done with the Dune trilogy. I am now in the mood for some high adventure and sorcery! I have read the Lord of the Rings and the Children of Huron too recently for a revisit, and I am looking for something of that ilk that I haven’t checked out. Anybody have any suggestions?
Old 01-09-2021, 06:26 PM
Planar Protector

Sword of Truth by Terry goodkind,

start with wizards first rule

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

such a good damn series, every book
Old 01-09-2021, 06:31 PM
Banned

wheel of time
Old 01-09-2021, 06:36 PM
Banned

The Holy Bible, by God
Old 01-09-2021, 06:44 PM
Fire Giant

If you're interested in sort of light reading, the Drizzt series can be fun. I wouldn't say its the most impressive work of fantasy, but its iconic and easy to get into. And there's like 40 books by now so if you do like it you can scratch that itch for ages.
Old 01-09-2021, 06:47 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperiouskitten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The Holy Bible, by God
Too unrealistic.

I have considered reading Wheel of Time before, and I will look into Sword of Truth.
Last edited by DoodyLich666; 01-09-2021 at 06:50 PM..
Old 01-09-2021, 06:58 PM
Planar Protector

Old 01-09-2021, 07:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnasP99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Seconded, this was like my entry into fantasy, super fun.

And

aswell, like my 2cnd read thru fantasy stuff

but the 1st book is kind of rough, but the main protagonist turns out to be a good guy
Old 01-09-2021, 07:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kich867 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you're interested in sort of light reading, the Drizzt series can be fun. I wouldn't say its the most impressive work of fantasy, but its iconic and easy to get into. And there's like 40 books by now so if you do like it you can scratch that itch for ages.
Yea. I would definitely start with the dark elf trilogy if you haven’t read them yet.

But didn't realize that this is more like... P99's 4chan or something.

except instead of random anons its a shark attack of a small clique that posts here all the time. so he's doubly fucked.
Old 01-09-2021, 07:29 PM
Fire Giant

went through the same phase a while back. Judging by what I’ve gathered from your previous postings these are my recommendations.

The Black Company - The first three books (The books of the North) are great. I’d describe it as dark fantasy. It’s about a mercenary group that gets into some shit. The books aren’t too long and all three of them are good. The story continues past the three books, but they’re a stand alone story on their own.

The First Law - Three book stand alone series. It’s real gritty. Lots of violence. Really entertaining. Fun read.

The Dark Tower - 7 books, so it’s a bit more of a journey, but it’s Stephen King. It’s cool because he wrote the series over the course of his career (first book in 1982, final in 2004) so you can see him mature as a writer throughout the series. I’ll warn that it gets a bit tedious in the middle books, but that’s also when King was heavy into drugs, so it kinda makes sense. Overall a good read though.

The wheel of Time - its 14 fucking books, and they’re all pretty long. And it gets wayyyy up it’s own ass in the middle. It becomes a downright chore to get through at times. BUT, if you can get through it, it’s a good series. It took me over a year to power through. Was a weird feeling when it was finally over. I felt like Frodo after the destroying the ring. My advice is to listen to it on tape when you’re driving to work.

Mistborn series - I finished this recently. It’s three books and pretty good. Has a new interesting take on a magic system and overall the plot is good. Same author (brandon sanderson) also has a series called Stormlight Archive that I plan on reading next.

The Sword of Truth - I read the first one but never really got into it. It felt too “traditional”, if that makes sense. I was able to telegraph the upcoming plot. But people like it, so I should go back and give it another go.

Malazaan Book of the Fallen - This is a rad series, but it’s hard to get into. Took me a few tries, and I haven't finished it. It throws you into the middle of a complex story and you just gotta roll with it and accept that for a while you’re going to be real confused. Some people love it, some hate it.
Last edited by nostalgiaquest; 01-09-2021 at 07:41 PM..
Closed Thread