Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 07:09 PM
Sarnak

Thanks for all the suggestions! I really appreciate it. A lot of these sound interesting, and I have been looking into them. Some co workers of mine have also talked The Stormlight Archives, and some friends have also hyped me up on Wizard of Earth Sea. So I will probably be giving one of those a wack soon. I knew my forumquest pals were the ones to help me in my quest.
Last edited by DoodyLich666; 01-12-2021 at 07:11 PM..
Old 01-12-2021, 08:14 PM
Planar Protector

I actually preferred to sequels to the Dragonlance books. That takes place after the grey gem thing and the mages are like no longer a thing. Sorta. When they face the chaos God. I can't remember.

Both trilogies r really good tho.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:49 PM
Large Rat

Echoing everyone who's recommended Brandon Sanderson's The Stormlight Archive. Probably your best option for an ongoing fantasy series. I think Rothfuss (Name of the Wind, etc.,) is the best active fantasy writer, but he's painfully slow and Sanderson is an absolute machine. Theres new Cosmere content all the damn time. Dunno how that guy writes so much.

Regarding The Kingkiller Chronicle:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgiaquest [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is the third book actually coming out shortly? Feel like i've been hearing that for the last 5 years. Refuse to start the series until the third ones out.
No, probably not. I recommend reading the first two books anyway.

Other good series that I don't think were mentioned:
- Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne by Brian Stavely
- Gentlemen Bastards by Scott Lynch
- Lightbringer by Brent Weeks

Wheel of Time sucks. Sword of Truth sucks. The Drizzt books (at least the first few that I've read) were actually pretty good / a lot better than I expected them to be.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:55 PM
Large Rat

Oh, and if you want something a little more challenging try The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe. Strangest thing I've ever read. His short Wizard Knight series is pretty fun, too.
Old 01-14-2021, 04:25 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames.

Fantastic story of heroes that retired, and have to get the band back together one last time.

Awesome mix of comedy and drama...you feel nostalgic for these characters that must've had an awesome history together.

It has a sequel: Bloody Rose

~Caliwynd
Old 01-14-2021, 08:09 PM
Fire Giant

the chorus of dragons series by jenn lyons is also a really good newer series
Old 01-14-2021, 10:48 PM
Planar Protector

I really enjoyed the Wheel of Time. It is a great series if you like a ton of detail and side stories. It gives the series a lot of re-readability. It can get silly at times for some people with how Robert Jordan portrays the female characters, but I thought it was fun lol. I do agree with the opinion that the series drags a bit in the middle. Books 7, 8, and 9 are the low points. Not bad books by any means, but you can feel the difference between them and the first six. It is definitely worth powering through, however, as the rest of the books after 9 are great.

I enjoyed the first book of The Stormlight Archive when it came out, but I haven't gotten around to reading the rest of the series. I like Sanderson quite a bit, who also finished the Wheel of Time after Robert Jordan passed away.

EDIT: Glad to see people mentioned the Horus Heresy series. Warhammer 40k is a great universe to get into. It is somewhat unique in how the power scales of the warring factions are so extreme that nothing really feels out of place, like many other series. It is a great space fantasy series, and a good way to start in the massive universe that is Warhammer 40k.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 01-14-2021 at 10:52 PM..
Old 01-15-2021, 12:07 PM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Knuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I actually preferred to sequels to the Dragonlance books. That takes place after the grey gem thing and the mages are like no longer a thing. Sorta. When they face the chaos God. I can't remember.

Both trilogies r really good tho.
Yeah summerflame is great, just wasn't a big fan of the series past that series, to me that was "the end" as I really enjoy dieties in that world.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg download (1).jpeg (10.8 KB, 26 views)
Old 01-15-2021, 12:22 PM
Banned

https://www.tor.com/2012/04/20/a-dar...-light-sketch/
Old 01-15-2021, 04:23 PM
Planar Protector

Dorian Hawkmoon series
Elric series
Closed Thread