Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 05:50 PM
Sarnak

Default Tradeskills - is this normal?

I'm working on tailoring. At this point my only options are variations of one type of armor. I know it's a steep hill to climb. It can cost a lot, ingredients are time consuming to gather etc. but I'm wondering if it's normal to make 20 attempts and not get a single skill point.

The last 3 skill points required a total of 35 tries. If it's perfectly normal, I'll suck it up and /or slit my wrists but just making sure there isn't some problem.

Any tips on how to raise chances of gaining skill points are very welcome.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:07 PM
Planar Protector

It's normal. I can't remember who posted it but I read something a few years back where someone tried over 250 combines for a single skill up.

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 09-11-2017, 06:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csihar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Any tips on how to raise chances of gaining skill points are very welcome.
More Int/Wisdom.

Also trade skills (and really anything involving the RNG) are evil.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:27 PM
Planar Protector

Tradeskills are a plat sink, don't do them if your goal is high skill and don't have 20-40k plat.
As mentioned above get as much int or wis as possible. Str works for blacksmithing I believe.

Find an enchanter to buff your int/wis. your goal is 255 stat. I actually keep gear in my bank for tradeskill training that has high wis or int but I wouldn't use it combat.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:20 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Tradeskills are a plat sink, don't do them if your goal is high skill and don't have 20-40k plat.
As mentioned above get as much int or wis as possible. Str works for blacksmithing I believe.

Find an enchanter to buff your int/wis. your goal is 255 stat. I actually keep gear in my bank for tradeskill training that has high wis or int but I wouldn't use it combat.
Aside from INT/WIS working for trade skills, STR works for blacksmithing and I thought DEX worked for fletching and tailoring. A trades master could verify or confirm to be sure though.

In my experience most crafters reached high skill fastest when they had a guild that fed them mats.

Gathering all the mats yourself will take a vast amount of time and resources, setting you back thousands of plats and hours on top of hours farming them.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:01 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhancelot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Gathering all the mats yourself will take a vast amount of time and resources, setting you back thousands of plats and hours on top of hours farming them.
JC aside, just be prepared for carpal tunnel on the combines...took me ages to go from 245-250 on my red enchanter.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:41 AM
Sarnak

Thanks, buds.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:44 AM
Kobold

Default Tradeskills?

Let me follow up with a question. At the higher levels, are there better skill up chances with different combines? Example Arctic Wyvern vs. Cobalt Drake? Assuming the same trivial value. Or is it same skill up % regardless of rcecipe, at the mercy of the RNG?

Thanks.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:10 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzarCritS [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
are there better skill up chances with different combines? Example Arctic Wyvern vs. Cobalt Drake? Assuming the same trivial value. Or is it same skill up % regardless of rcecipe, at the mercy of the RNG?
Same skill up % regardless of recipe or trivial. It doesn't matter if you're crafting the most expensive 300 trivial item possible or a trivial 30 sock that sells for two copper: as long as the combine's trivial > your skill you have the exact same (relatively small) chance.

Literally the only thing that impacts your skill up chance is your Intelligence/Wisdom (or alternate stats like Strength for blacksmithing). If you want to increase your skill-up rate you need to shop for some tradeskill gear and/or get an Enchanter buff.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:58 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Same skill up % regardless of recipe or trivial. It doesn't matter if you're crafting the most expensive 300 trivial item possible or a trivial 30 sock that sells for two copper: as long as the combine's trivial > your skill you have the exact same (relatively small) chance.
Thank you for the feedback. I don't know with certainty to say you're wrong on this, but based on my experience trade skills at lower levels skilled up much more frequently than they seem to do now when I do combines in the 170s. Maybe I misunderstood your example?
Closed Thread