Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 03:52 PM
Planar Protector

I've thought about using the Hole as a location for one of the portals... Considering what happened there, maybe the Plane of Time entrance would make the most sense? You know, that whole tear in the time space continuum jargon that always shows up in sci-fi.

I don't personally like the thought of it leading to every planar zone for a couple of reasons.

1.) Level 46 players are going to have a hell of a time making it through that dungeon by themselves.
2.) It would basically turn Toxulia Forest into the Plane of Knowledge. Think about it.
a.)Beta neutral vendor that buys and sells to everyone.
b.)Druid port location
c.) good/neutral aligned city with bank 1 zone away
d.) evil aligned city with bank 1 zone away

You're basically defeating the purpose of spreading the planes out by giving every level 46+ player 1 zone to hang out in for all their needs. I don't think anybody wants that.

------------------------------------
I'm standing firm about avoiding Luclin. It's completely unnecessary for the purposes of implementing the PoP storyline and if you have to completely customize zones and NPCs in order to keep them from ruining old world content then it's easier to just leave it out. See the previous comments regarding Luclin gear and mudflation. PoP gear for the most part doesn't effect any player below level 46. I enjoyed the expansion when it came out but it just doesn't fit into the idea of preserving the classic feel of EQ at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kika Maslyaka [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Zeborux - since he is imprisoned there and wants to get out [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
duh... thanks. Yes that would be the simplest (and most obvious) solution. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-12-2011, 05:19 PM
Kobold

Luclin sucks and adds nothing to EQ except AAs, which are meh!

POP is the best!
Old 05-12-2011, 05:25 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Luclin sucks and adds nothing to EQ except AAs, which are meh!

POP is the best!
WRONG! Luclin was the best and most thought out expac and brought many great advancements to the game. ALL the zones were great. It had content for every level of char from 1 to 60 to AWESOME raids.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:27 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by guineapig [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've thought about using the Hole as a location for one of the portals... Considering what happened there, maybe the Plane of Time entrance would make the most sense? You know, that whole tear in the time space continuum jargon that always shows up in sci-fi.

I don't personally like the thought of it leading to every planar zone for a couple of reasons.

1.) Level 46 players are going to have a hell of a time making it through that dungeon by themselves.
2.) It would basically turn Toxulia Forest into the Plane of Knowledge. Think about it.
a.)Beta neutral vendor that buys and sells to everyone.
b.)Druid port location
c.) good/neutral aligned city with bank 1 zone away
d.) evil aligned city with bank 1 zone away

You're basically defeating the purpose of spreading the planes out by giving every level 46+ player 1 zone to hang out in for all their needs. I don't think anybody wants that.

I'm standing firm about avoiding Luclin. It's completely unnecessary for the purposes of implementing the PoP storyline and if you have to completely customize zones and NPCs in order to keep them from ruining old world content then it's easier to just leave it out. See the previous comments regarding Luclin gear and mudflation. PoP gear for the most part doesn't effect any player below level 46. I enjoyed the expansion when it came out but it just doesn't fit into the idea of preserving the classic feel of EQ at all.

duh... thanks. Yes that would be the simplest (and most obvious) solution. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Skipping the Best expac in the game is stupid. LOL There will be nothing gained by doing so and would be very stupid to skip content designed to push you to the next lvl above Velious. PoP is largely just a raiding expac where luclin had both 1-60 content for all players and AWESOME raids. Doesn't make sense.

And if you want to preserve old world zones then kill the Pop zones that are 46-60. Thats the same Idea your having here with Luclin. Because it had great 1-60 zones "boggle". Then you get your raid zones while preserving old world content. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

And to me that feels like you just want to tell people where to xp. Because you want to keep xp'ing there EVERYONE should. WRONG!

IMO Follow the timeline of expac's or DON'T DO IT AT ALL! Stop at velious.
Last edited by Shadey; 05-12-2011 at 05:32 PM..
Old 05-12-2011, 08:44 PM
Sarnak

Luclin had great potential, but ultimately it was a bomb in my eyes, and I would definitely mark it as the beginning of the end in terms of gameplay and story elements that I enjoyed.

How I would remake Luclin to make it fit classic EQ...

1. It's not on the moon, it's another continent on the far side of Norrath. These are already known to exist form the globes in Skyfire.

2. No aliens, netherbians are gone, 4 arms are gone, grimlings are reflavored as a different kind of gnome/goblin hybrid or something, or just replaced with an existing race.

3. The sky in all outdoor zones is replaced with the standard Norrath sky.

4. NO NEW CHARACTER MODELS.

5. Kitty city is still Kitty city, but they are Kerrans, and Kerrans are now playable... include lore about their ancestors flight from Erudite persecution.

6. Massively expand the backstory and faction dynamics between Katta and Seru, re-write a stronger tie in to the lost Combine empire. Velious style armor and or weapon quests with the opposite city as a raid/xp zone in the style of Skyshrine vs Kael Drakkel.

7. reflavor thought horrors as being servants of Cazic and/or Terris Thule, possible entry point for plane of torment if we wanted to go farther...

8. No bazaar

9. No automatic portals from old world

10. borrow another zone to connect to Shadow Haven that has docks and run a boat from there to stonebrunt mountains... and release warrens + stonebrunt

11. not entirely certain what I would do with Vex Thal yet.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:52 PM
Large Bat

Dumesh that is everything that I wish Sony would understand and do.. make it ala carte.. because some of this stuff was good.. but so much sucked.. I like your ideas alot.
Luclin was definately where I finally was able to shake the EQ fever and come out of my trance..I quit not long after.. I only have been back now for 3 months..
Old 05-12-2011, 09:04 PM
Kobold

Updated Char models were awesome! No more square heads and bodies. YAY!

I'd leave the cats like they are. Don't like the Kerrans any better then the Vah Shir prob less as they look like funky starwars wookie (spelling) rejects with cat heads.

Don't mind the idea of another continent though.

Bazaar was there but not implemented for use (seen this on a number of threads and number of times here). Guess you all don't remember that. EC was alive and flowing during ALL of luclin. LOL

Leave the raid content as is. Why mess up something that is GREAT already. VT was a great raid zone, just time consuming.

the rest isn't so bad and wouldn't destroy the expac. (IF all zones are still there and connected in the same way).

Oh and I don't think the spires were a big deal. It added a little convenience for those that didn't have a way to be ported around or didn't want to pay for ports. While not giving access to every single zone in the game (there were only one on each continent). And thats if you waited for the spire to take you up and then again to take you back down. Not much different then the boat ride imo in terms of time spent.
Last edited by Shadey; 05-12-2011 at 09:12 PM..
Old 05-12-2011, 09:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumesh Uhl'Belk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Luclin had great potential, but ultimately it was a bomb in my eyes, and I would definitely mark it as the beginning of the end in terms of gameplay and story elements that I enjoyed.

How I would remake Luclin to make it fit classic EQ...

1. It's not on the moon, it's another continent on the far side of Norrath. These are already known to exist form the globes in Skyfire.

2. No aliens, netherbians are gone, 4 arms are gone, grimlings are reflavored as a different kind of gnome/goblin hybrid or something, or just replaced with an existing race.

3. The sky in all outdoor zones is replaced with the standard Norrath sky.

4. NO NEW CHARACTER MODELS.

5. Kitty city is still Kitty city, but they are Kerrans, and Kerrans are now playable... include lore about their ancestors flight from Erudite persecution.

6. Massively expand the backstory and faction dynamics between Katta and Seru, re-write a stronger tie in to the lost Combine empire. Velious style armor and or weapon quests with the opposite city as a raid/xp zone in the style of Skyshrine vs Kael Drakkel.

7. reflavor thought horrors as being servants of Cazic and/or Terris Thule, possible entry point for plane of torment if we wanted to go farther...

8. No bazaar

9. No automatic portals from old world

10. borrow another zone to connect to Shadow Haven that has docks and run a boat from there to stonebrunt mountains... and release warrens + stonebrunt

11. not entirely certain what I would do with Vex Thal yet.
3 problems:

1.the sun doesn't move in Luclin zones - will have hard time explaining that if its another continent
2. no luclin models is non enforceable - once expansion is enabled, anyone can activate them
3 kerran models - its impossible to just force them onto players, unless you use a perl script to keep them under illusion effect all the time- they also won't have any armor textures. On other hand, there are dumb down vah shir models in style with old ugly models [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Kika Maslyaka; 05-12-2011 at 09:22 PM..
Old 05-12-2011, 11:09 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Skipping the Best expac in the game is stupid. LOL There will be nothing gained by doing so and would be very stupid to skip content designed to push you to the next lvl above Velious. PoP is largely just a raiding expac where luclin had both 1-60 content for all players and AWESOME raids. Doesn't make sense.
I respect your opinion but it is just that, an opinion like mine.

It's widely escepted that Luclin eliminated the need for any gear that came before it at all levels more so than any expansion before it. Even people that love Luclin can admit this.
Hell, my Planar robe from the Plane of Hate is still better for an enchanter than all but a couple robes in all of Kunark. Just tossing that in there as an example. The Planes of Power actually does not do this at all for the first nearly 50 levels.

The point of my idea was a way to wrap everything up once people have done everything there is to do in the classic trilogy. Were talking 4-5 years post server launch. It will give the guilds some breathing room from each other. People will be able to more or less raid to their hearts content and challenge themselves with some really great encounters and trials.

The storyline in PoP was perfect for an ending to the original Everquest.
How many people who have been here since 2009 are going to care about having new newbi zones that far down the line. People are going to have three or four level 60 raid geared characters by this point and countless other alts already twinked to the gills. Does anyone really need to start farming twink gear all over again at that point? Does anyone want to stay level 60 at that point? If you add Luclin to the mix before increasing the level cap (at the current rate of expansion on this server) you will end up with with such a topheavy server that I can't even imagine what that will mean for the raid scene. Leveling up becomes tedious. I'm a complete and total alt nut and even I can admit to that.

And yes, this is just my opinion, but the Luclin debate has been around on this server since like November of 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
IMO Follow the timeline of expac's or DON'T DO IT AT ALL! Stop at velious.
More than likely Velious will be the end of this particular server so you don't have to worry too much about it. I don't have any more sway with the developers than you do. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by guineapig; 05-12-2011 at 11:15 PM..
Old 05-13-2011, 12:11 AM
Kobold

With the installment of Luclin you have two things. A new race and a new class. So like Kunark you will have a bunch of new chars being created as new mains or alts. With that big push of lower lvl chars you will then see lots of new lower level play. End of story.

If you want to make this into what eq1 ended up being which is all raiding and no lower to mid lvl play then implement PoP first.

What is seams to me is those that want to hold everyone else back because they don't want people in the newer low-mid lvl zones of Luclin. Well seams selfish to me. What I find funny about that is during luclin and beyond we still went to older expac zones for exp and some gear as well. And once the newness of Luclin wore off you found many groups going on in velious, kunark and orig eq zones.

And as I've said before its one of the best expacs they designed. It has something for everyone casual player and raider alike. Of all levels.

Now what I did see with PoP which is counter what everyone seams to want is that with it came the push to be 65 or you were not getting groups because that is where everyone was at. Either in the high end zones or raiding. So that does not do the general population good either.

And yes this is my opinion of course and that of MANY people I know that played live with me.
Last edited by Shadey; 05-13-2011 at 12:22 AM..
Closed Thread