Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Old 03-24-2023, 07:09 PM
Planar Protector

Ranger is the most difficult class in the game in that you need to have a good personality to truly succeed otherwise you gonna be lfg for eternity. This is known as the Yendor strat

The best ranger strat for most people however is to first roll a cleric or enchanter and leverage your usefulness to make a bunch of friends with all the other boring ass min-maxers and then after a while roll a ranger and impose that on them. This was my strat in the more neurasthenic phases of my life though I did Yendor it with like 2 of the 5 rangers I leveled into the 50's over the years

In essence, the best rangers are irl bards
Last edited by Lune; 03-24-2023 at 07:12 PM..
Old 03-25-2023, 07:20 PM
Planar Protector

Rangers are not for the faint of heart. Mine has all the toys including double epics & sky cloak and still gets slapped around like it’s nothing. I’m pretty sure a monk can tank an unslowed mob better than mine can when it’s epic slowed. 90% haste and a 25 self ds is fun though, pretty much the definition of a glass cannon. I would not embark on this journey without knowing that going into it then most classes can out tank you. With that being said, if I have a competent healer paired with some flame licks, I can hold aggro better than pretty much anybody. And you can pull like a boss in outdoor zones.
Old 03-25-2023, 08:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rangers are not for the faint of heart. Mine has all the toys including double epics & sky cloak and still gets slapped around like it’s nothing. I’m pretty sure a monk can tank an unslowed mob better than mine can when it’s epic slowed. 90% haste and a 25 self ds is fun though, pretty much the definition of a glass cannon. I would not embark on this journey without knowing that going into it then most classes can out tank you. With that being said, if I have a competent healer paired with some flame licks, I can hold aggro better than pretty much anybody. And you can pull like a boss in outdoor zones.
Just depends, ive tanked hot mobs, not that its ideal on my ranger.
Old 03-25-2023, 09:01 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah it’s p wack how Ranger tanking is so much less than their abilities would indicate
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 03-25-2023, 11:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah it’s p wack how Ranger tanking is so much less than their abilities would indicate
Yet a ranger can tank any mob in the game without heals for 20 seconds.

So squishy tank or the best tank in the game every 72 mins, depending on your definition.
Old 03-26-2023, 02:03 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nothing can fix their low avoidance (which is their biggest issue in xp content*) but if youn use all the AC buffs they mitigate the same as other classes on xp content.

* being hit more often does means your damage shield happens more often, which I suppose is a nice silver lining.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 03-26-2023, 09:26 AM
Planar Protector

Paladin.
Old 03-26-2023, 11:48 AM
Kobold

Ranger was a lot of fun until 50 but like Jimjam says, the avoidance is terrible. And I second Crede's statement, I found that even with slows, my ranger tanks content worse than a paladin (and that's fully self-buffed ranger). I quit my ranger at 52 although I had so much fun, because it was just a pain waiting for procs to land while I'm getting trashed with max hits in a row ("do I root and heal myself now before that proc hopefully lands soon, or after my slow lands and then waste some duration of the slow on self heals?")

But a really fun class --- paladin is def less interesting to play and much more dry, but more durable. I'm trying bard now in my quest to find my preferred hybrid
Old 03-26-2023, 03:47 PM
Planar Protector

SK FD > every other tank ability

group has a bad pull, you get to laugh while they die then drag their pathetic corpses
Old 03-26-2023, 05:24 PM
Planar Protector

Bard. AE snare the bad pull, mez casters/mobs that summon. Group can choose to zone/evac or stay and kill it all.