Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 07-01-2022, 12:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Multiple sources. This is what google offered when searching for "god": (in certain other religions) a superhuman being or spirit worshiped as having power over nature or human fortunes; a deity.
Where did those sources get their definition of god/godlike from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

We don't, and that unknowable quality contributes to something/one being considered a god or godlike.
Where did you get this description of god from?
Old 07-01-2022, 12:51 PM
Kobold

So, a big problem here is that the meaning of the word, “agnostic” is often misunderstood. It comes from Greek and originally meant, “without knowledge” or “unknown”. When the word is used in a philosophical or religious philosophical context it’s used to establish an epistemological position. Epistemology is the branch of philosophy that deals with the theory of knowledge. It asks what can and cannot be known.

The computer I am typing these words at, for example, is it real? Or, am I in the Matrix and just typing on a simulated computer in a VR environment? Meanwhile, my actual brain is in a jar connected to a real computer. The intellectually honest answer is, “Shit, I don’t know; there is no way to tell.”

In the real world, when applied to the question, “Is there a god?”, an agnostic would say, “I don’t know; there is no way to tell. I suppose it is a matter of faith.”

Faith as justification for belief isn’t really a thing in a world in which you can physically interact with gods and see manifestations of their power first-hand, on a daily basis. Their actual existence never comes into question, because you have objective evidence that holds up to scrutiny. Because of this, atheism, would also not be a thing.

The question then becomes, “Which god do I choose to follow or devote myself to, if any?”

Thus, I would argue that Verant’s use of the term “agnostic” was a poor choice when they originally set up their religion system. It would have been more appropriate to use a term like: “None”, “Non-Devoted” or “Follower of None.”
Last edited by Dural_Levant; 07-01-2022 at 12:53 PM..
Old 07-01-2022, 12:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dural_Levant [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thus, I would argue that Verant’s use of the term “agnostic” was a poor choice when they originally set up their religion system. It would have been more appropriate to use a term like: “None”, “Non-Devoted” or “Follower of None.”
[Pain and Suffering try to strike you but miss!]

The agony of modern gamer senses. Agnostic works just fine back in 1999, looking at a list of religions, which to me was novel for even being in a game, with things like Dragon and Earth Mother worshipers.

20 years later here comes e-gamer Richard Dawkins to piss on everyones faces and some guy trying to make a shitty misplaced compromise.
Old 07-01-2022, 12:54 PM
Planar Protector

I don’t think you can say there is no god without conforming to a religion that is just really sure there is no god.

If you are willing to let science reveal that the universe is created on a computer then you are agnostic.

So atheists are therefore more dedicated to their “belief” that there is no creator based on current science.

That’s literally religion trying to explain the same stars 12,000 years ago.
Last edited by Jibartik; 07-01-2022 at 12:57 PM..
Old 07-01-2022, 01:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfminster [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Where did those sources get their definition of god/godlike from?
Etymology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfminster [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Where did you get this description of god from?
Why so many questions?

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-01-2022, 01:01 PM
Planar Protector

Do any of you recall being in front of your CRT screens with EQ loaded up for the first time? I came from a Sony Playstation 1 for reference. I mean, making a character for the first time and you get to the religion list, clicking through the options.. mind reels with what kind of world this is and what you will discover.

(the seeming depth of desktop computer games, a role playing game in this case, were on another level)

Agnostic was the most boring choice of all and is only good for min/maxing, which I should remind everyone here that min/maxers destroyed a lot of the role play features that were baked in to original EQ such as night blindness/vision.
Last edited by Mblake1981; 07-01-2022 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 07-01-2022, 01:04 PM
Banned

Technically the vahshir believe in their ancesters.

Would be cool if ogres worshipped big rocks and trolls a gator g-d they could summon if u got like 50 trolls toghether.
Old 07-01-2022, 01:09 PM
Planar Protector

Thankfully everything past Velious expansion can be forgotten.
Old 07-01-2022, 01:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake1981 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do any of you recall being in front of your CRT screens with EQ loaded up for the first time? I came from a Sony Playstation 1 for reference. I mean, making a character for the first time and you get to the religion list, clicking through the options.. mind reels with what kind of world this is and what you will discover.

(the seeming depth of desktop computer games, a role playing game in this case, were on another level)
I had been doing PC games, massively multiplayer included, for a good while prior to buying EQ so EQ didn't impress me all that much. It grew on me over time though as a nice shared hobby the wife and I both liked. She didn't like most of the other types of PC games I had or still have. I did have that feeling of awe for Air Warrior the first time I logged on that one in the early/mid 90's though; that's the game that felt like it had been ripped out of my imagination, not so much the role-playing games.

Danth
Old 07-01-2022, 01:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dural_Levant [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So, a big problem here is that the meaning of the word, “agnostic” is often misunderstood. It comes from Greek and originally meant, “without knowledge” or “unknown”. When the word is used in a philosophical or religious philosophical context it’s used to establish an epistemological position. Epistemology is the branch of philosophy that deals with the theory of knowledge. It asks what can and cannot be known.

The computer I am typing these words at, for example, is it real? Or, am I in the Matrix and just typing on a simulated computer in a VR environment? Meanwhile, my actual brain is in a jar connected to a real computer. The intellectually honest answer is, “Shit, I don’t know; there is no way to tell.”

In the real world, when applied to the question, “Is there a god?”, an agnostic would say, “I don’t know; there is no way to tell. I suppose it is a matter of faith.”

Faith as justification for belief isn’t really a thing in a world in which you can physically interact with gods and see manifestations of their power first-hand, on a daily basis. Their actual existence never comes into question, because you have objective evidence that holds up to scrutiny. Because of this, atheism, would also not be a thing.

The question then becomes, “Which god do I choose to follow or devote myself to, if any?”

Before you saw the Matrix though you wouldn't have asked yourself if you were living in the Matrix. Somebody very recently came along and implanted that new idea in your head which you're now repeating. But there was a time when you would not have thought about such things.

Is god existing a new idea like the Matrix is?

Let's imagine there are no atheists/christians/hollywood in the world.

You look up at the moon. What do you say?

"God doesn't exist"?
"Am I living in the Matrix?"
"Who created that?"