Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Old 06-21-2022, 02:32 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Question Mage epic - no longer possible to complete?

Hello fellow EQ players,

I played a mage on live back in 1999-2002, long story short I never managed to complete my mage epic, and now I'm back to experience all of EQ again with the ambition to complete that goal, once again.

Had a few chats with people on my selected server (Blue), and they all told me that there is no point in even going for it (roll another character if you are interested in obtaining your epic), obviously, this lowered my morale somewhat.

I have no idea if it's true, but apparently, there is a very small group of people "living in Hate, farming the Earth staff - constantly". Selling it for Multiquest for a minimum of 800k plat.

I have no idea if this is true, and this is obviously within their right as the spawns are contested.

But for a level 1 mage who is about to start a new journey, am I totally screwed when it comes to obtaining the mage epic? Also, would it be in my best interest to roll on Green instead?

I'm not in a rush, I just want to have a realistic chance of having a fantastic journey and ultimately reaching my goal.

Thanks for any input/advice!
Old 06-21-2022, 03:33 AM
Planar Protector

Most guilds have a wide range of tools to assist you in the quest, including things like shared ranger accounts parked in hate to help you check for spawns.

It isn’t easy, it is very competitive, but it isn’t impossible.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXX Dung

Old 06-21-2022, 04:01 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyref [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
"living in Hate, farming the Earth staff - constantly". Selling it for Multiquest for a minimum of 800k plat.
i see a more serious issue in above quote.
Mitic - Green - Dial a Port (yes, porting is more fun than raid-rotations) - 2020
Old 06-21-2022, 04:59 AM
Fire Giant

Green is the same in regards to earth staff drops. Couple enchanters farm the minis pretty hard, mq sells for big plat.
It's not impossible,but I wouldn't make a character and put all my eggs on getting a drop
Old 06-21-2022, 05:07 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Thanks for your input.

Hopefully, I can find a way despite the current prerequisites.

Rikex - Level one (1) gnome mage starting his journey today!
Old 06-21-2022, 06:54 AM
Orc

I wouldn't get discouraged. You have such a long journey to get there, have faith you'll make friends and guildies along the way. Its a tough bottle-neck for sure but you'll have plenty of challenges in the meantime.
Old 06-21-2022, 08:21 AM
Fire Giant

I finally got mage epic on my alt last year. Made her in 2015 and I've raided pretty active...it can happen just don't get in a hurry lol...best chance is join raid guild and save dkp /nod
Old 06-21-2022, 09:15 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

You guys are obviously in the right, thanks for the encouragement!

Also, big grats on your achievement Allishia! Happy for you [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-21-2022, 12:46 PM
Planar Protector

It's going to take you awhile for sure.

First off, it's obviously a rare spawn. Given what it drops, it's heavily contested. So you need to basically join the top 1 or 2 raid guild on the server to guarantee the most wins on contesting the mob. Then you need to raid for quite awhile to accumulate a large amount of DKP sufficient to outbid other members of the guild who might bid on it. Then you need to hope it drops (very rare drop IIRC).

All of these things amount to it being very difficult and time consuming (in particular the need to raid for a long time with the number 1 or 2 guild on the server to accumulate sufficient DKP). It's doable, but you're going to need to basically dedicate your life to raiding on P99 for awhile.
Old 06-21-2022, 12:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyref [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hello fellow EQ players,

I played a mage on live back in 1999-2002, long story short I never managed to complete my mage epic, and now I'm back to experience all of EQ again with the ambition to complete that goal, once again.

Had a few chats with people on my selected server (Blue), and they all told me that there is no point in even going for it (roll another character if you are interested in obtaining your epic), obviously, this lowered my morale somewhat.

I have no idea if it's true, but apparently, there is a very small group of people "living in Hate, farming the Earth staff - constantly". Selling it for Multiquest for a minimum of 800k plat.

I have no idea if this is true, and this is obviously within their right as the spawns are contested.

But for a level 1 mage who is about to start a new journey, am I totally screwed when it comes to obtaining the mage epic? Also, would it be in my best interest to roll on Green instead?

I'm not in a rush, I just want to have a realistic chance of having a fantastic journey and ultimately reaching my goal.

Thanks for any input/advice!
Wait for new server. Camp a manastone or two. Make a trade.