Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 01-20-2021, 09:02 PM
Planar Protector

Those spelldata files have been floating around for years. When I've brought it up in the past I've been told it was on Test server but never actually patched to EQ-Live. Is there confirmation it made it into the regular game?

Danth
Old 01-21-2021, 08:41 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Those spelldata files have been floating around for years. When I've brought it up in the past I've been told it was on Test server but never actually patched to EQ-Live. Is there confirmation it made it into the regular game?

Danth
The patches these spdats were bundled with had live eqnews.txt files, not test ones. Presumption would be that they were from live patches.
Old 03-21-2021, 11:34 AM
Planar Protector

So they just noped right out of having a check on the most absurdly overpowered spell in the entire classic timeline, even releasing the more stupidly overpowered one for only 100 mana?
BNut make sure them keys aren't soulbound. /sigh
Old 03-22-2021, 11:04 AM
Fire Giant

Changes never went live, why are people lobbying for this shit? Or is it just a case of looking at something for so fucking long you keep finding flaws in it? lol
Old 03-22-2021, 12:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Changes never went live
That's a very interesting hypothesis. Tell me why the patch files have live eqnews.txt's and why they line up with Live patch dates/events then?

Daldaen drew my attention to a patch note given in November 2000 which says "The spell Torpor received an unintentional reduction in effectiveness.". Coincidentally, that's the last month that Torpor has the mana drain in the spdats. So I sort of think it's not a coincidence.

I think the EQ devs 'unintentionally' let a Test change (Torpor mana drain) leak into Live for a few months before anybody noticed it. But does seem to have been live for most of Kunark. So P99 should implement that if it wants to be faithful, I would think.
Last edited by Dolalin; 03-22-2021 at 12:11 PM..
Old 03-22-2021, 12:30 PM
Fire Giant

Think, sort of think, think. Cool story. lol (still this never went live)
Old 03-22-2021, 12:47 PM
Planar Protector

I've decompressed all the patch .zip files on www.everquest.com.tw and their eqnews.txt files are there to view:

https://github.com/dbsanfte/eq-archi...ter/eq-patches

So if you want to blow holes in my theory please install the EQCaster.exe given there, and do so. You'll have to answer these questions though:

1) Why are there Live eqnews.txt files in these zips if they're supposedly Test server patches?

2) Why do the patch dates line up perfectly with Live patches?

3) Why does the 15/11/2000 spdat.eff (and all previous ones back to April, 2000) have the Torpor mana drain, but the 16/11/2000 spdat.eff doesn't?

4) Why does the 16/11/2000 patch say that 'Torpor received an unintentional reduction in effectiveness', and the Mana Drain is removed?

Let me know what you come up with.

Here's the Patch Notes page for reference (I've curated most of this):

https://wiki.project1999.com/Patch_Notes
Last edited by Dolalin; 03-22-2021 at 12:58 PM..
Old 03-22-2021, 01:01 PM
Banned

I don't ever remember the torpor soloing I see here done in era even through Velious. I didn't play a shaman though so I left this alone. Interesting reads. Whatever is classic, do that.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirgon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't ever remember the torpor soloing I see here done in era even through Velious. I didn't play a shaman though so I left this alone. Interesting reads. Whatever is classic, do that.
That type of solo'ing was definitely happening in Velious, folks did talk about solo'ing the West Wastes dragons/etc in-era. Can't speak for Kunark though, I didn't have a Shaman back then either. All I know is what others have told me; when I've brought this up in the past on these boards I've always been told it was something that was tried on Test and never made it live. Maybe it did for awhile?

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 03-22-2021 at 01:30 PM..
Old 03-22-2021, 01:53 PM
Planar Protector

Found a post referring to 'nerfed Torpor' as of May 2000 on Castersrealm:

http://web.archive.org/web/200006191...ML/001414.html