Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 09:42 AM
Planar Protector

Sajan's list is definitely the one responding the the OPs question, but there's a huge amount of gear listed that doesn't really impact your gameplay leveling a paladin much at all, included in that list. To the tune of several hundred thousand platinum.

STR I wouldn't suggest stacking personally. Atleast not at the cost of HP gear. I don't think the benefits of 200 STR outweigh the several hundred HP lost in making those gear swaps.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:12 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan1612 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pretty great points, OP should definitely read this very carefully. My only question is wouldn't it be worthwhile to reach 180-190 STR or so that with yaulp you reach 200? Maybe not the best thing for grouping but I could see it being useful combined with haste and a good wep if he wanted to solo at later levels.
Absolutely, the thing for OP to remember is that Paladins are not on the same offense tables as warriors and skill caps at L40 make misses much more frequent than other memes classes. They resume increases 50+, but still lag. The only remedy to that is higher atk rating which comes with increased str.

The purpose of the paladin also ought to be considered. If you are throwing this much money at one, one would presume the reason to be to make it as effective as possible. Stacking AC/HP will make for a great damage sponge in group content, but can be accomplished with very little investment and doesn't do as much for solo if you have a fungi.

If you want to create the most durable tank possible then by all means stack hp/ac. If you want to destroy content, then your two limiters are dps and recovery speed. The fungi covers the latter, haste helps the former, but only if you actually hit the mob. The effect of str on accuracy for a Paladin is profound.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:32 AM
Fire Giant

If money is no object you'll want a Rod of Faith for your one hander paired with a Sarnak Battle Shield, and for 2h you want Granite Face Grinder. Its very important to train your Bash as you level and Rod of Faith with haste shreds (for a pal anyways)

As mentioned previously, if you expect to throw all this money at a Paladin and do damage like a Monk you'll be horribly disappointed. Its a long road until Paladin really comes into form (mid 50s) but Rod of Faith should bludgeon mobs to your satisfaction till you get there.
Last edited by Tuljin; 04-15-2015 at 10:36 AM..
Old 04-15-2015, 12:03 PM
Sarnak

i didn't say anything about fun factor

i have given a paladin a fungi, cof, and a rod of faith and it's really underwhelming. especially compared to what a game changer the same tier items are for a monk, shaman, war, or even sk/ranger
Old 04-15-2015, 12:24 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezalor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i didn't say anything about fun factor

i have given a paladin a fungi, cof, and a rod of faith and it's really underwhelming. especially compared to what a game changer the same tier items are for a monk, shaman, war, or even sk/ranger
Welcome to playing a knight class until they remove the exp penalty, and add in the correct bonus to 2 handed weapons. Which I still believe should be done at launch of Velious, not 2 months and 10 months down the road.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:35 PM
Fire Giant

Even still the Paladin never does a shitload of damage and he was never supposed to. Paladin is (arguably) the superior tank for everything that isn't a raid boss and one of the benefits is the ability to hold agro without relying solely on expensive gear and procs. Along with calms, heals, roots (doing CC for yourself), DA, and stuns you bring a lot to the table.

A Warrior is completely useless without a healer and can hardly defend himself without the help of others. For as much as we bitch about how Verant created the classes and how some are inherently OP, if Paladin was as strong as a Monk or Warrior how can we reasonably expect him to have all those other skills that are beneficial to dungeon content? What would be the point of having the other classes? (Fast forward 15 years and this is how every other MMO works)

TL - DR - aside from a Fungi, haste item, and a decent 1h and 2h, you start to see diminishing returns on plat invested very quickly on a Pal
Old 04-16-2015, 03:15 AM
Planar Protector

Full dwarf gear, cof, rod of mourning, standard twink jewelry, fungi, dw Bp, manastone.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:30 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pint [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Full dwarf gear, cof, rod of mourning, standard twink jewelry, fungi, dw Bp, manastone.
This was a goal of mine until I realized the manastone is class restricted to priests/casters. Are you saying that it is in fact clickable from inventory by Paladins? If so that is freakin' awesome ^^. And it returns to my goal list.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:41 PM
Planar Protector

Tbh idk if its class restricted but I'm going to guess no
Old 04-16-2015, 12:42 PM
Planar Protector

Actually that's crazy, its definitely not class restrictrd