Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 02:02 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxBRAH [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Interesting on the parry while stunned.

Also we had Ogre tanks on live and I don't recall any mob needing an iksar tank in Velious.

Can't remember but I think ac played a bigger role in Luclin and beyond when Pal/SK/monks were viable and sometimes even *better* tanks/OTs.
Some of the monk BIS velious gear is loaded in AC, resist, and hp. While I never recall my guild using a Monk to tank any of the main mobs, we used them to off tank all the time in Ssra/Luclin without a problem.

I recall some SK's tanking bosses specific bosses in Luclin from time to time, but it was more out of the ordinary then something you saw a lot.

Its hard to compete with the Warrior disciplines during the Velious era.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefdinkins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
am i completely wrong?
yes
Old 06-02-2015, 03:54 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Large races have the additional advantage of being much easier to see in a crowd of thirty people. I consider visibility a greater practical advantage than bash resistance. That being said, race doesn't matter nearly so much as some folks think it matters, and any Warrior can tank anything that any other Warrior can given equivalent gear. If you feel like you need that last few per cent of effectiveness, make the Ogre; otherwise make whatever race you think looks best and be content in knowing you can tank anything in the game anyway.

Danth
I agree visibility is important for the mt, which is why we saw so many neon green or pink ogres once armor dyes became a thing.

As for race, it does not matter. Your tank will end up double shrunk and stuck in a corner anyway.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:43 PM
Kobold

Nothing compares to Ogre until stun resist AA, which this server will never see. Not to mention the massive str and stamina difference, which is still hard to max even in Velious without raid gear or constant shammy buffs.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:51 PM
Planar Protector

to reiterate, /disc defensive is absolute king in Velious. The Alpha and Omega. Gear, honestly, for raiding... barely matters. You'd rather have another subpar geared warrior to swap in with /disc def for another 3 minutes than a single super geared iksar warrior or monk.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorian [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How is a Dark Elf in Velious? Will the armour be able to compensate for the physical shortcomings? Because nothing in the game looks remotely as cool as a dual wielding dark elf in full plate! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
dark elf style points wins them all.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Any race with upper raid gear could tank anything in Velious fine. I had decent raid gear as a troll and tanked just about everything in Velious (minus the 4 warders, sleeper and somehow I never tanked Dain either regardless of my guild having a lock down on him).
Majority of the Warders, as you probably recall, can be done with two or three clerics and single tank, not needing to rotate Defensives. Very easy to slow, if memory serves we used a pause 80 CH rotation for the first three, and pulled him to a spot where everyone but the tank dodged the AoEs with simple '/gu GET OUT GET OUT' '/gu GET IN GET IN' macros etc. Very NToV-ish. Loot pinatas essentially, as I believe was the intent with lore to support.

It's interesting you bring up Dain though. Dain is a boss I remember fondly, despite getting real sick of killing him 3-5 times a week. He famously spawned as two different versions - one hitting much harder than the other. I believe the easy version quadded around 400 and the hard 650? He's not all that difficult, in fact he's one of the first "true" Velious raid bosses most people do (Klandicar and Wuoshi don't count[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] and do very often because of his highly valued loot: head, hammer & to a degree, shield. it's kind of a shock to do at first because the fight is very lengthy, one of the longest in Velious, and one of the first mobs where you've got to deal with Rampage for a long time. It's also the first fight I remember doing with a "strategy" and the difficulties dealing with the fact he banishes every 30 seconds, rather than AEing, and so you had to pre-set Ramp targets and let your tank build a large aggro lead so he would be summoned back to Dain in the pit immediately upon banishment, rather than 32king or him turning and dunking hybrids and then summoning clerics upon MT banishment, and having to deal with an insta-repop linked add who CH'd him. Also the first raid boss I recall to use the "immune to attack speed slowing effects" tag. Maybe Derakor though.

I distinctly recall our initial Dain strat involved monks with Stonestance, and the first kill being nearly a half hour. Those were the days, truly. Many a Frostreaver handed to local appreciative raid loot garbage can and rival-guild tear collector, Gage.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:01 PM
Fire Giant

Fucking Dain. Worst part was sitting around on your ass waiting for the pull team to get him down the hole.

The best part was giving him a pair of Velium weapons before a rival guild started their attempts.

This actually brings up a good point about Warrior race. The corner that my guild tanked Dain in was too small for anything but a Small race. If a fatty tank died and couldn't get a shrink before their turn was up again, they were basically useless. Something to think about when choosing a race, for sure.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:38 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyclin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Fucking Dain. Worst part was sitting around on your ass waiting for the pull team to get him down the hole.

The best part was giving him a pair of Velium weapons before a rival guild started their attempts.

This actually brings up a good point about Warrior race. The corner that my guild tanked Dain in was too small for anything but a Small race. If a fatty tank died and couldn't get a shrink before their turn was up again, they were basically useless. Something to think about when choosing a race, for sure.
AoN
Old 06-03-2015, 10:49 AM
Planar Protector

Have you seen Cucumbers and Swage with their robes and lightsabers ? Pretty sexy imo
Closed Thread