Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 08:48 PM
Kobold

Default Yet another Paladin Race thread!

Hey everyone,

I'm torn on the race to make my Paladin alt. I'll have access to fungi/haste all that jazz to level, so I'm not terribly worried about base stats.

I am, however, a huge lover of the fashionquest meta. The idea of an erudite paladin is very appealing to me in the sense of being extra rare, in an already rare class.

Humans are pretty baller status in armor (IMO) as well, but I've already got a human bard, so it's a bit redundant.

So, basically, I'm liking the idea of the Erudite.

The rub however, is the Nature's Defender sword. I'm torn, because it seems like a relatively "easy" weapon to attain, but, I'd be forced into an elf race to use it. I could see getting behind the idea of a high elf paladin, if the wis thing makes a huge difference here in Velious, but it would probably always fall second to my interest in the Erudite.

So, to get to the meat of my question here. Is the Fiery Defender viable to attain for a casual player? I work from home, so tagging along on an afternoon Hate raid or 10 wouldn't be the end of the world. The Fiery Avenger, as far as I can tell, is like a 10k MQ to grab the book with a minor group fight in Miragul to complete. The other fights, outside of the Hate item, don't seem too terribly difficult to wrangle up players to help out with (also assuming they're not typically very contested).

If the Fiery Defender is not "that" (big relative here..) hard compared the Natures Defender, I think I'd ultimately choose the Erudite. (I prefer the flame graphic anyhow). Or is the High Elf, with the option for both (and the higher wisdom) just that much of a better choice? Please, help me make this extremely subjective decision! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Thanks everyone!
Old 06-04-2016, 09:18 PM
Fire Giant

If you're wanting to go Tunare, half-elf is generally a better option because of starting stats.
Both swords are relatively easy to quest, but the ND is of course, easier.

Ultimately the question is, would you hate yourself more for not being an Erudite or for not having access to an easy quest weapon you might replace anyways...?
Old 06-04-2016, 09:44 PM
Fire Giant

I'm a High Elf and I recommend going Erudite. There's nothing special about ND. I have one, and never use it other than for showing off how cool it looks. I'd much rather use my epic or one of my Velious weapons.

If I could remake my Paladin, I would be Erudite with Prexus diety.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:12 AM
Banned

unless you're in bleeding edge high end raid gear high elf is far and away the best race
Old 06-05-2016, 09:44 AM
Fire Giant

You are totally correct about the paladin epic quest. It can be one-grouped if you purchase a Book of Scale, and it doesn't have any major bottlenecks. It's actually a pretty fun quest too if you go through all the dialogue and get nice and immersed.

So go erudite in my opinion. Quest lines are fleeting, but fashion is forever.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:55 PM
Planar Protector

max Deepwater knights if u do FD
Old 06-06-2016, 12:28 AM
Kobold

I wouldn't recommend Erudite if you want to win fashion quest, their velious gear has several graphic bugs and looks awful:

http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=227187
http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...hlight=erudite

Also your sleeve clips through your shield when using one, and the bracer of benevolence looks terrible on an Erudite too. None of these things are likely to ever change.

I'd swap to human if I could for fashion quest, or Half-Elf for the Innoruuk mask.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:40 AM
Sarnak

keeper of the tombs is a bottle neck FYI
Old 06-06-2016, 12:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colgate [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
unless you're in bleeding edge high end raid gear high elf is far and away the best race
Truth ^
Old 06-06-2016, 12:54 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothsa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
keeper of the tombs is a bottle neck FYI
Compared to most other epics, it's a very minor bottleneck. But it's true that Keeper of the Tombs probably won't be up for days and days waiting for you to find him.

OP should note that the Plane of Hate part of the Nature's Defender quest isn't exactly a walk in the park. That zone is an enormous pain in the butt with really wonky aggro and pathing and the 2nd floor mobs are no joke. Still easier than the epic, but you'll need a legitimate Hate raid with 3 or more competent groups for a couple of hours to realistically tackle it.
Closed Thread