Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 07:54 AM
Sarnak

Nilbog has already nurfed jaggedpine crook spawn rate and drop rate over in bug forums.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:54 AM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Please no increased respawn!!! .....

It will ruin the pace of the game. Let newbies struggle a little finding mobs....THAT'S OK.

Then people will spread out more and explore more and have fun. They will go "yard is too busy, maybe i'll try buying up wolf pelts and tailoring and selling armor!!".

Or all sorts of other scenarios....where they start trying to explore deeper than they would normally....getting a group together to go places with less competition (but far more danger since they are underleveled).
Some zones were coded to never be devoid of mobs, without having an insane farmable static respawn spot. That might be the better way to go here.

One easily observable example was groups of three decaying skeletons. Once they had spread out, it wouldn't be very obvious which three were part of a spawngroup unless you either watched them spawn or had track (sorted them to the top), but when all three died, a new group of three would respawn at a random location.

This was very obvious while farming bone chips in Paineel. Another notable area this was done was Terrorantula, clusters of spiders were always up, not every spider was part of the cluster, but when all spiders from the cluster were dead, a new cluster of about 6 spiders, 3 terrorantulings, or the terrorantula would spawn.

This technique provided a "supply meets demand" dynamic that isn't so directly exploitable. But it is more work to implement.
Last edited by Uthgaard; 10-18-2019 at 07:56 AM..
Old 10-18-2019, 08:18 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyturtle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You people need to stop throwing around the word 'exploit'.

It's not exploiting anything if the spawnrates are turned up. You're just killing mobs.

It's not going to ruin any economy. Sheesh.
Sheesh indeed.
60 Iksar Monk
20 Halfling Druid

=== OMNI ===
Old 10-18-2019, 08:26 AM
Fire Giant

What i dont understand is why devs always call for "classic" to argue against some changes asked from the community, but then as soon as they see a change they see fit theyll just go with it and forget about the classic thing. They advertise fully classic, so there is no room for perspectives about the game QoL etc, but then they do custom shit all around. I will never understand this.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:32 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGONBAIT [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What i dont understand is why devs always call for "classic" to argue against some changes asked from the community, but then as soon as they see a change they see fit theyll just go with it and forget about the classic thing. They advertise fully classic, so there is no room for perspectives about the game QoL etc, but then they do custom shit all around. I will never understand this.
It's their server, go ahead and make your own if you can do better.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:42 AM
Former Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Some zones were coded to never be devoid of mobs, without having an insane farmable static respawn spot. That might be the better way to go here.

One easily observable example was groups of three decaying skeletons. Once they had spread out, it wouldn't be very obvious which three were part of a spawngroup unless you either watched them spawn or had track (sorted them to the top), but when all three died, a new group of three would respawn at a random location.

This was very obvious while farming bone chips in Paineel. Another notable area this was done was Terrorantula, clusters of spiders were always up, not every spider was part of the cluster, but when all spiders from the cluster were dead, a new cluster of about 6 spiders, 3 terrorantulings, or the terrorantula would spawn.

This technique provided a "supply meets demand" dynamic that isn't so directly exploitable. But it is more work to implement.
Basically said the same thing on Page 5 of this thread lol (posted below), didn't know about the Terrorantula spawns though.

I'd suggest for Green 202X insta-respawn mechanics can be put in place but a script in place that is non-exploitable (i.e. it isn't always the same 3 spawns in Paineel). I don't see this getting done and tested in time for Green 2020 even if launch is delayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderfury [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm fairly convinced that on live, perhaps even currently, there are still 'insta spawn' mechanics in place in some noob areas.

The most evident was when paineel was added, there were 3 skeletons that spawn right next to each other. There was a script in place that if all 3 spawns were dead, they instantly respawned. So people would kill those mobs and constantly farm bone chips. It wasn't put in for a 'cash cow' feature (although that is what it became), but more to ensure there were always mobs up for their customers starting out in noob zones.

I've come across posted evidence of this in Everfrost Peaks, GFay, Qeynos newbie yard and a few other places.

It would make sense original EQ devs would have insta-spawn mechanics in place to ensure fresh starting people don't get bored without finding anything to kill and to handle a large infuse of population.

I wouldn't put it past other zones outside noob yards having some form of insta-respawn, there is evidence of it in Quillmane cycles and other places.

So my point, is the instant respawn knowledge / spawn points may not be known, but there is evidence that it is there. So temp increased spawn rate in noob zones to handle population surge isn't necessarily unclassic.

Would be great if someone could investigate live (if these zones still exist, no clue) and pinpoint the respawn mechanics. Then we can have a more classic Green 202X launch.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:44 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGONBAIT [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yea, the UI thing is a good case....like "how the boxes look for your chat window, no room to budge on...JUST NOT CLASSIC!.....but we will 10x the spawn rate lol".
Old 10-18-2019, 08:44 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderfury [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
even if launch is delayed.
Don't ever say those words!
Old 10-18-2019, 09:04 AM
Planar Protector

Definitely delay the launch. It’s better to fine tune stuff and get a late launch than to launch with a bunch of broken issues.

If you delay launch I’d like to propose a random Green launch. Don’t announce when it will happen, just wipe the characters from beta and turn the server back online. This way people can’t plan out weeks of neckbearding in advance and you will be able to better manage the influx of players as it will take time for word to spread that the server launched.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:06 AM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Basically said the same thing on Page 5 of this thread lol (posted below), didn't know about the Terrorantula spawns though.

I'd suggest for Green 202X insta-respawn mechanics can be put in place but a script in place that is non-exploitable (i.e. it isn't always the same 3 spawns in Paineel). I don't see this getting done and tested in time for Green 2020 even if launch is delayed.
Glad to see it was already mentioned and I wasn't just throwing out a crazy idea no one had heard of.
As far as I know, spawngroups were never implemented on any emulated server, but the database structure exists to do it without a lot of hard coding. It wouldn't need a dedicated script for every area, it would just need some server code to call up spawngroups as a functional thing from database tables, similar to how spawn tables are called now. The server code would be short, and the database work could then be done piecemeal and adjustable on the fly.

Also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Uthgaard; 10-18-2019 at 09:09 AM..
Closed Thread