Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 02:13 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default I have no idea what I'm doing lol (noob)

I played EQ briefly back in the day around Kunark era, and always wanted to revisit. I logged in and I was so lost. So i'm just like....what would be recommended class for a complete noob? I'm usually a tank in most games but for this game I'm open to just what's easier for soloing or easy to get invited to a group, etc. Should I just go warrior and stab or monk and punch or enchanter or bard and just boost people? so many options xD

I appreciate any input. I'm looking forward to feeling like I'm 13 again. Glad to be here.
Old 11-18-2020, 01:44 PM
Sarnak

Play what seems fun.

Welcome home!
Old 11-18-2020, 02:32 PM
Planar Protector

inb4 druid.

also, play a druid.
Old 11-18-2020, 04:05 PM
Planar Protector

not knowing what you are doing is the best part of the game
Old 11-18-2020, 04:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-18-2020, 05:29 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There’s really nothing that compares to the adventure of this game. Take it all in

That being said the wiki is absolutely full of great info and will bring you up to speed fast. As far as which class it’s totally open to your interest. If your used to tanks, one good compromise is the Shaman which is basically a hybrid and you can do plenty of melee pre-30. You get all the perks of a caster (bind, gate, Sow, buffs for daaaayz, etc.) you’ll be welcome in groups as both a healer and a slower and can solo very effectively. At the highest level shaman is arguably one of the most powerful classes in the game.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:00 PM
Planar Protector

Some suggestions and pros and cons off the top of my head:
• Cleric - the best healer, but quite flexible; they have pacify, Root, stuns, and they even have good nukes (though soloing will involve downtime). Will be desired in groups, so you can make friends and learn the game by watching and talking with others.
• Druid - can do a little of everything, it's true.
• Shaman - capable healers, soloable, though I've heard the early levels are slow (shaman, monk, and paladin are the only classes I haven't yet played past 50)
• Bard - versatile. Good in groups but can solo. Their speed songs, combined with invisibility and pacify song at level 8, make them good at traveling, so you can witness more of Norrath. Just don't think of them as a capable melee fighter. And they can't Gate, so if you go on a deep dungeon adventure, you should make sure you're with a druid or wizard to port you out.
• Rogue - if you want to play a melee damage class, rogues are cheap to gear and do good damage. They also have Sneak and Hide so you can go almost anywhere you want. You will need a group as they are garbage solo. Again, no Gate.
• Monk - a versatile melee class with a high skill ceiling. No Gate spell either, but at least you get Feign Death and Sneak so you can sometimes sneak your way out of places. People love to make monk alts and dump tons of gear on them, but I think you can play one naked and make fine progress.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:17 PM
Banned

stick them with the pointy end
Old 11-19-2020, 12:24 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG SiP [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
stick them with the pointy end
Goblin Piker making an appearance in a p99 thread. Nice.
Never met a good quest he didn't have to do twice.
Old 11-19-2020, 01:56 AM
Sarnak

I tend to refer Newbies to Mage class, the pet makes things a bit easier and it's not as complicated a playstyle as Necro or even druid for that matter.

Pet Attack.
Nuke.
Win.
Closed Thread