Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 10-27-2023, 01:00 PM
Planar Protector

Iksar wars not being able to use shrink bracer is a deal breaker for me. If a class can be troll, go troll. Otherwise DE/human for peak fashion.
Old 10-27-2023, 01:19 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Its everquest, play what you think looks cool.
That's a huge factor in my decision. For my 2nd chanter on p99 I went human for the looks mainly, but also the stats are pretty good. Likewise barbarian seems like a solid choice for a warrior. Now it's just a small question of religion which I know little about -- there's no good reason to go Tribunal that I'm aware of, Rallos has some cool stuff for classic (and maybe post-velious) but with DE illusion will it knock me down from apprehensive to dubious in any evil cities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
p99 uses a ac hard system different to classic and live. Also presumably different to Quarm, so it may be difficult to apply experience of iksar / ac bonus from here to there.
I hear AC is king on PQ relative to p99 but I don't know the source for that.
Old 10-27-2023, 02:08 PM
Fire Giant

On Quarm, players do not appear to be able to push mobs, so FSI seems even less useful there.

Barbarian is a very reasonable warrior race. Pull the trigger if you're into it.

For religion, Rallos is pretty neutral but slightly evil leaning. It will give you better faction with giants in Velious and might make you dubious to the OT outpost in Kunark. Dwarves will definitely not like you though. I have no idea about Tribunal.

While I'm here, I will say warriors aren't so much useful on raids, as they _are_ the raid. You are often a single point of failure. You need to be a deputy raid leader in a sense, because you have to know the encounter well, direct people and be very communicative about everything that's happening. I know plenty of well geared warriors who are fairly useless because they can't do the above.
Old 10-27-2023, 02:10 PM
Planar Protector

Decent RZ cultural after SoV… maybe pop, not sure.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 10-27-2023, 03:50 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm really bad at finding relevant code on github, tbh that isn't my skillset domain, anyone able to pull the server AC calculations from quarm's open source so we can see at what point iksar bonus is calculated?
I have no familiarity with EQ's codebase, but looks like this might be it: https://github.com/SecretsOTheP/EQMa...pp#L4917-L4930

Code:
if (level < 10)
{
	acSum += 10;
}
else if (level > 35)
{
	acSum += 35;
}
else
{
	acSum += level;
}
This snippet is unchanged for Quarm from the upstream initial source release.
Old 10-27-2023, 05:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatChapp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Op is playing on quarm, gnomes arent really viable until velious gear. For p99 I 100% agree
I should have assumed Quarm, lol.
Old 10-27-2023, 07:05 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For religion, Rallos is pretty neutral but slightly evil leaning. It will give you better faction with giants in Velious and might make you dubious to the OT outpost in Kunark. Dwarves will definitely not like you though. I have no idea about Tribunal.

While I'm here, I will say warriors aren't so much useful on raids, as they _are_ the raid. You are often a single point of failure. You need to be a deputy raid leader in a sense, because you have to know the encounter well, direct people and be very communicative about everything that's happening. I know plenty of well geared warriors who are fairly useless because they can't do the above.
Yeah, warrior is going to be a challenge because because I have a lot less general knowledge of the game than most players. But I am interested in getting good which is more than you can say for a lot of players.

Like today was my first time ever at the King camp in Guk. We got a few spawns and one sword that went to the enchanter. I wasted a good roll on that shitty crown. But anyways I have 8 months to soak up a lot of classic knowledge.
Old 10-27-2023, 10:49 PM
Planar Protector

Dwarves make great Warriors, and their STA/DEX is actually quite close to an Ogre who pumps DEX at creation as advised. (125 STA, 90 DEX for the Dwarf, 132 STA, 95 DEX for the Ogre). The Ogre has more STR of course, but even minimally twinked it's not that big of a deal, and the ability to wear small armor pretty much offsets it. Dwarf warrior has a tremendous aesthetic and practical size advantage over the Ogre, as well, especially in the tight Classic dungeons. Only real downside is that you can't slam, but hey, if you really wanted to interrupt casters that bad, you should have rolled a Paladin, jack.
Old 10-31-2023, 02:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Its everquest, play what you think looks cool.
This.

For p99 I rolled dwarf for fashionquest and barrel roll. If I was playing on Quarm where Luclin graphics are an eventuality (unless you disable and want to never be able to use a horse) … I would personally go either barbarian, human or Iksar.

In my opinion for Luclin graphics (male):

Ogre: personally hate the way they flail spastically graphic in combat; retard charge looking forward run
Troll: always standing awkardly with lumbar lordosis and pot belly, melee looks way too stiff
Barbarian: sexy AF with beard, ponytail, Arnold Schwarzenegger body type, and kilt!
Humans: not bad to look at - a solid choice
Iksars: much like barbarians minus the beard but plus a tail
Half elf: lol no
Wood elf: lol no, scrawny at the joints
Dark elf: same as above
Dwarf: goofy looking imo unlike classic graphics
Halfling: meh … could be worse … but not a fan
Gnomes: surprisingly cool looking in plate and decent melee animations (an honorable mention)

Ultimately, when/if I roll a warrior there barbarian is probably my go to
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 10-31-2023, 02:55 PM
Planar Protector

gnome war god tier