Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Old 03-09-2024, 02:01 AM
Planar Protector

One dev was a necro fan.
Druid dot kiting was nerfed but fear kiting was left as is.
Originally root overwrote snare so druids/rangers were screwed.
Necro dot snare was not overwritten by root.
Figures.

Im sure the devs didnt predict every strat but responded in their way based on their own personal preferences (just like most of us would).
Old 03-11-2024, 02:07 AM
Decaying Skeleton

When I first started playing on P99 I remember being on Orc Hill and someone in my group nuked a mob down below and killed it before it got to our group and I was scared we might get banned. Because when I was a kid my next door neighbor found a spot in highpass or high keep (I can't remember which) where you could climb on the roofs of buildings and nuke NPCs, and they couldn't reach you. This allowed him to safely kill very high level mobs, and gain a ton of experience. He gained a lot of levels and made a decent amount of platinum, and then one day he was banned for 2 days, but he said it was still worth it and that he would do it again because of how much experience and $ he made.

I think it got patched pretty soon afterwards, but I sometimes wonder if other EQ veterans were aware of this or even remember it. It doesn't seem to be a thing on P99, but I remember always being cognizant of making sure not to nuke mobs while at a higher elevation after my friend got a ban for it.

I also remember that if you were in a duel and you disconnected your character would do way more damage than normal. It's like all of the damage caps were removed. We used to like to give low level characters on our accounts executioners axes and then challenge higher level players to duels and type /quit and then laugh hysterically when our low level character slaughtered them.

I also remember when we used to ask to see certain items in the trade window, usually Oracle robes, and whenever we saw the item disappear from their body as it was no longer equipped the player, we knew it was on the player's mouse, and that they were going to get ready to open trade. At this point we would move sporadically, usually while playing a gnome and it would cause the player to drop the item, and one of us would pick it up and keep it. They actually did a hotfix / patch over this that started asking players if they were sure they wanted to drop the item because of us (this may have been done on other servers, but I remember a group of us specifically doing this on Tunare).

I remember people using duels to disarm other players and steal their weapons too. I think they had to patch that too.

I remember when they brought Rubicite armor back briefly and made it drop in Najena (I feel like no one else remembers this, but my friends and I spent an entire weekend doing this before realizing the only piece that didn't seem to drop was the breastplate, but then again we were only killing trash mobs near the entrance due to being low level).

I remember there was this glitch in Kaladim where you could buy a certain item related to pottery and then sell it to another merchant in the same zone for way more platinum than you purchased it for. I remember being so weighted down with coins that my character could barely move, and I had some high elf following at me demanding I stop because what I was doing was cheating. This was the first time I ever really felt rich in the game. This eventually got nerfed/removed. I don't remember what the specific item was anymore, but it was related to pottery.

I feel like I'm forgetting a lot of things honestly. I remember someone telling me that there was a portal in the Karana river that could teleport you to North Freeport or something but I never saw it.

I did see the jail in Qeynos. Small room with no exits. I got summoned there after I scammed a player into giving me an item or something. I remember being so scared because I was playing the game and it suddenly just said loading, please wait, and I realized I was in the catacombs in a room I couldn't get out of and someone messaged me saying something about hello, this is GM such and such, and being a kid, I was actually freaking out like I was in an interrogation room, I ended up typing /quit and was scared to log back in, so when I finally did, I made a character on another server, thinking I was safe from justice when all of the sudden someone sent me a really hateful message cursing me out. It had to be someone who worked at Verant / SOE too because who would this random person be that's messaging a level 1 character on a random server.

I think I actually argued back in forth with the person and they told me I thought I was slick and how I was going to get in a lot of trouble etc. I went back to my server and never heard anything about it again, no warnings, no bans or anything.

As an evil gnome I also used to trick elves into following me to the necromancers guild in Ak'Anon and then convincing them to consent me so I could steal their items.

I was a toxic little kid back then, but a lot of people were. I think P99 players forget that it wasn't always a bunch of older folks just looking to help each other out and re-live nostalgia. Back in the day there was a ton of cutthroat hormonal teenage boys on this game, lol.
Old 03-11-2024, 11:03 AM
Planar Protector

I always thought the quotes from devs about how camping in general wasn't anticipated at all. They thought people were going to group crawl through the dungeons (this was back when they had no idea EQ would be as popular as it was so dungeon crawling in a non-instanced environment would be more feasible, they never thought you'd have like 2k+ people per server).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think it got patched pretty soon afterwards, but I sometimes wonder if other EQ veterans were aware of this or even remember it. It doesn't seem to be a thing on P99, but I remember always being cognizant of making sure not to nuke mobs while at a higher elevation after my friend got a ban for it.
Yup this was a thing for a bit. Could do it in Qeynos and other places too. Eventually it was patched so that mobs could basically teleport to you if you were in an area they couldn't path to (or otherwise made so you couldn't get yourself up there, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It had to be someone who worked at Verant / SOE too because who would this random person be that's messaging a level 1 character on a random server.
I'd be surprised if it was anyone from Verant/SOE. I was CSR and the logs on our player characters/accounts were monitored by another team. If a staff member had created an account to harass you they could've lost their job. Not saying it definitely wasn't someone from the staff, but seems low likelihood to me.
Old 03-12-2024, 07:48 PM
Planar Protector

This 100% CH unironicaly Ruins the game
Fauvana 60 Erudite Necromancer
Erjav 60 Human Bard
Enjamini 60 Human Magician
Deepwalter 60 Erudite Paladin
Seliel 60 Human Rogue
Enjoii 54 Dark Elf Warrior
Old 03-13-2024, 08:33 AM
Planar Protector

That link about CH is pure speculation, unless that guy is an OG dev, then he has no idea what the intent was anymore than any of us.

You guys are acting like the original devs are retarded and never played videogames before. The only thing I can maybe buy that they didn't think would happen is using FD to pull.
Old 03-13-2024, 12:57 PM
Planar Protector

From the same link...

Quote:
May 28th, 2013 05:53 PM#75
Y39 + NinjaDuck = Doom!
Yttrium's AvatarJoin Date
Jun 2005
Re: EverQuest Next
Bragging time for Yttrium
The MUD I played on hadn't defined the "hard edge" before a guild I helped found. We had a "complete heal" type spell, but no one bothered to "train" it up to a reliable level of non-fizzling. I aggressively recruited clerics for the guild and required they all max it out. We then went and fought things that could not previously be beaten, based entirely on
- best-AC tank in the game
- clerics could heal him from 1 hp to (max - 1d4) every single round with 99.999% successful casting rate
- sufficient support bandwidth from other classes to keep everyone else going / energized / etc.

Essentially, it's the same idea as the CH rotation, though I never made the mental leap to EQ's Complete Heal spell. However, when I first heard of the rotations, I had an "oh, yeah, I know this" moment.

I doubt I was the first person to do this in a mechanical sense. I'm sure other MUDs had similar mechanics that were exploited. Given the original designers' backgrounds in MUDs, I'm surprised they didn't think this would be an issue. It became the final edge of what was do-able.

On a personal note (hah, like I"m not already there), my experience on that MUD was the only time I was on the hardcore bleeding edge of a community-based game. I've been in a variety of powerful raiding guilds, at various levels of accomplishment, in both EQ and WoW, but I wouldn't want to do it again, much less be able to. However, I, too, would like to see some sort of meaningful EQ recreation.
FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC
-"To Serve and To Protect"

"I don't trust my government, I don't trust the people who work for my government, and I believe that the evidence suggests that it's irrational to offer such trust." - Ken White

"The first 90% of the project is done, now we're working on the remaining 90%." -SoylentNews
That said, idk how accurate that is since MUDs were before my time. But the EQ devs were aware of the possibility of chaining complete heals in one form or another, making reference to it when discussing why lay hands was capped even in the earliest rough drafts of the game, recognizing players could just line up paladins to complete heal versus raid targets. But then they went and added 5 charges of CH to the SoulFire so /shrug
Last edited by Ennewi; 03-13-2024 at 01:00 PM..
Old 03-13-2024, 01:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
From the same link...

That said, idk how accurate that is since MUDs were before my time. But the EQ devs were aware of the possibility of chaining complete heals in one form or another, making reference to it when discussing why lay hands was capped even in the earliest rough drafts of the game, recognizing players could just line up paladins to complete heal versus raid targets. But then they went and added 5 charges of CH to the SoulFire so /shrug
Different devs worked on different parts. Maybe the itemisation dev that created soulfire didn’t know nor care about the stance on spamming CH or LH.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Last edited by Jimjam; 03-13-2024 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: Removed q - answer was easily found.
Old 03-13-2024, 09:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You guys are acting like the original devs…never played videogames before.
EverQuest was among of the first games of its kind. Almost nobody had played video games like this before. Everything appears so obvious to us because we are looking backwards.
Old 03-13-2024, 11:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Different devs worked on different parts. Maybe the itemisation dev that created soulfire didnĀ’t know nor care about the stance on spamming CH or LH.
Could be, yeah. There is an awkward lasting beauty to it all maybe because of that. However dated and easily recognizable as a game, it still somewhat resembles a world, full of dysfunction and unfair bs and inconsistencies. No one dev had all the power apparently and, if they did, it was quietly undermined or ignored for personal interests and rule of cool.
Old 03-14-2024, 12:27 AM
Planar Protector

OG Devs absolutely never expected psycho bards running tiny circles in Velks