Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 09:21 PM
Kobold

Default Is VR possible?

Surely there's a way to make this happen. I know it's not like there's an army of programmers working on this game but how hard could it be? A calculator could run EQ, my phone's resolution is way beyond the original client.
Old 12-25-2016, 12:23 AM
Fire Giant

I don't know much about programming. But for VR I imagine an immense amount of coding would be necessary considering this runs on an almost two decade old graphics engine.
Old 12-25-2016, 05:27 AM
Sarnak

You could do it but you'd have to modify the client. All you'd really need to do is have a viewport linked to your in game heading and instead of using keyboard or mouse you'd connect it to your vr headset. You'd have to have some way to reset your direction of travel though otherwise you'd be spending half your time with your neck twisted around if you were moving 180% from N.

Edit: Actually I guess you could write a driver to interface with EQ. Perhaps take video input to the screen and pipe into your vr headset, link your mouse pan left, up, right, down to your headset movement for changing direction.
Last edited by Ikon; 12-25-2016 at 05:32 AM..
Old 12-25-2016, 06:25 AM
Sarnak

Think we already had this thread...

I don't know or care much about VR stuff but: to get the proper effect, at the very least you'd need to be getting stereoscopic output from the client -- each eye gets a slightly different view of the scene, at slightly different angles. You can fake this to some extent by cropping and rotating a single image differently for each eye, but it wouldn't really feel right. You'd really need to calculate the whole 3D scene separately for each eye to properly fake out your brain.

There's also some practical considerations. The ultra-low-detail aspects of the world might be tough on your eyes. Also, EQ is pretty UI-feedback- and text-driven, both of which would probably make your eyes bleed if they were constantly obstructing large portions of your view (making the UI more 3D might help a bit). And then there's things like running around at bard speed without getting vertigo...
Old 12-25-2016, 01:24 PM
Kobold

I thought about it because there's a mod for Doom(the original) that lets you play it on those $20 cellphone VR goggles.
Old 12-25-2016, 01:52 PM
Aviak

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nus.full&hl=en
Old 12-25-2016, 03:41 PM
Aviak

When I bought my 120hz monitor about 3 years back, it came with a free Nvidia 3D Vision 2 Kit bundled in.

Now....I've played P99 in Stereo 3D a bit, and there's one MAJOR problem above all else. Many of the in-game assets (trees, shrubs, many SPELL EFFECTS) are actually flat, two-dimensional objects that rotate to the appropriate viewpoint as you the player view them. This generally looks fine when playing normally, but when playing in true 3D they really stand out.

Even worse, many of these object (some spell effects and player nameplates in particular) aren't actually placed in proper 3D space. The end result is that they appear in the absolute foreground of the image instead of, for example, the nameplate appearing over the 3D model of the player.
Old 12-25-2016, 11:01 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalopolis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When I bought my 120hz monitor about 3 years back, it came with a free Nvidia 3D Vision 2 Kit bundled in.

Now....I've played P99 in Stereo 3D a bit, and there's one MAJOR problem above all else. Many of the in-game assets (trees, shrubs, many SPELL EFFECTS) are actually flat, two-dimensional objects that rotate to the appropriate viewpoint as you the player view them. This generally looks fine when playing normally, but when playing in true 3D they really stand out.

Even worse, many of these object (some spell effects and player nameplates in particular) aren't actually placed in proper 3D space. The end result is that they appear in the absolute foreground of the image instead of, for example, the nameplate appearing over the 3D model of the player.
That's a good point. I just got a pair of the cellphone goggles and besides tracking head movement, it adds a 3D effect to the graphics as well.

I read earlier that CD Projekt got a grant from the Polish government to add VR to their upcoming games. I'm always chasing the immersion buzz I got when I first played EQ when it was one of the only 4 or 5 3D-accelerated games on the market so I'm interested to see where this is going.