Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Old 05-09-2022, 12:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
First few months were only a few hundred
Yeah, definitely. I believe even by the Manastone/Guise nerf day there was only around 150 on primetime. Manastones and (especially) Guises weren't particularly hard to get, honestly. I do remember farming them a lot and putting a bunch on alts but if some dude came by wanting one I just let them have it. Wasn't like Green with a 30 hour /list.
Old 05-09-2022, 08:16 PM
Aviak

Hi Eratani

Zexa still needs to give me back my manastone, which will never happen.

Doublefist has my Zlandicar's heart, which i'll never get back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg evil.jpg (32.5 KB, 131 views)
Old 05-10-2022, 11:29 AM
VIP / Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Wenai

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisley [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, definitely. I believe even by the Manastone/Guise nerf day there was only around 150 on primetime. Manastones and (especially) Guises weren't particularly hard to get, honestly. I do remember farming them a lot and putting a bunch on alts but if some dude came by wanting one I just let them have it. Wasn't like Green with a 30 hour /list.
Yes. The culture was also different. On Blue I leveled a Cleric to level ~30 and hated it, quit and re-rolled a Shaman. Got to Level 34 and then a friend and I went to the Manastone camp. There was one guy there. He got a Manastone and then handed it off to us. We got one Manastone each and handed it off to the next person. There was plenty of players capable of holding that camp 20 hours a day, but there was no interest in that. Penoy famously was bound at the camp so whenever he died on raid or anything he would kill the EE before getting rezzed if that camp wasn't taken. Hah.

I didn't play enough on Green to get to that point, but I was around when the /list was announced. I assume it was a pretty greedy affair.

I actually think I would win the character age competition in this thread. My Cleric was originally rolled with my forum name "Wenai". We were worried about people trying to troll and steal our forum names so Nilbog let me log in to my player account like 10 minutes early to secure my name. I logged off and waited for the server to unlock just like everyone else, but the character creation happened probably about 10 minutes before server opened.

That character received a lot of CSR requests and server complaints so I ended up getting a name change down the road anyways.
Old 05-10-2022, 07:18 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenai [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes. The culture was also different. On Blue I leveled a Cleric to level ~30 and hated it, quit and re-rolled a Shaman. Got to Level 34 and then a friend and I went to the Manastone camp. There was one guy there. He got a Manastone and then handed it off to us. We got one Manastone each and handed it off to the next person. There was plenty of players capable of holding that camp 20 hours a day, but there was no interest in that. Penoy famously was bound at the camp so whenever he died on raid or anything he would kill the EE before getting rezzed if that camp wasn't taken. Hah.

I didn't play enough on Green to get to that point, but I was around when the /list was announced. I assume it was a pretty greedy affair.

I actually think I would win the character age competition in this thread. My Cleric was originally rolled with my forum name "Wenai". We were worried about people trying to troll and steal our forum names so Nilbog let me log in to my player account like 10 minutes early to secure my name. I logged off and waited for the server to unlock just like everyone else, but the character creation happened probably about 10 minutes before server opened.

That character received a lot of CSR requests and server complaints so I ended up getting a name change down the road anyways.
"Penoy" is Freeze and he lives not too far from me, friends with him on FB still. He was just bound there and would check it constantly.

I'm Magic, probably one of the oldest characters on here as I was playing here even in beta. Quit for a while after Nilbog deleted my Broom of Trilon (server first) because Temple of Sol Ro wasn't supposed to be open. Came back and they had changed my mage's name for some reason. Got my druid to 50, his name was "halfling" and then they changed it to "Deputy" -- all of my characters had lowercase names.

I got a GM banned because i showed him how to do the Tumpy Tonic quest with the koala nuts and he did it repeatedly to get 50 in like a night, lol. Pretty sure his name was Tantalar or something, he was a ranger. [Edit]: Good read here. Blink was a dude I played with pretty frequently back then, but never got personal and he just kind of disappeared. Apparently someone in his circle had working MacroQuest with ghost hack (attack/kill any mob in the zone from any distance, flying etc). There were a few monks that were pretty sus, which this would explain it.

Reiker and pals were leveling up when me and spoolie and evo were already level 30. They made a guild called Rusty Long Swords which then became Fine Steel Long Swords. I was holding the EE camp and let Reiker and Zexa come down while my pet was soloing EE. Stone dropped, they begged in mumble for me to give it to Zexa since "she's a cleric bro she needs it not u" and Zexa said she'd give it back one day. Never did of course. Reiker then proceeded to get banned for using ShowEQ and some other radar stuff. They all used it.

I remember when Jeremy rolled here. He exploited the jewelcrafting recipes and became rich overnight.

Half of TMO got banned for some RMT scandal and most of my friends quit around that time. Server used to be dope, slowly turned into a popularity contest along with weird inner guild politics where people probably let guild leaders bang their wives for loot. Sad tbh
Last edited by evilwizard; 05-10-2022 at 07:35 PM..
Old 05-10-2022, 08:38 PM
Planar Protector

I remember seeing you around. always seemed to be in Mistmoore for some reason.

And yeah that lower case name made me jealous lol. My last name is a bit unique too. they stopped allowing special characters in names a long time ago, but let "Min'Dazzle" stay.

The name was created by petition request. I cant remember if its just because that was the way to get a surname back then or because it was a special request
Last edited by -Catherin-; 05-10-2022 at 08:43 PM..
Old 05-11-2022, 04:09 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Catherin- [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I cant remember if its just because that was the way to get a surname back then or because it was a special request
For years, actually until recently enough that I thought it was still current (they don't do it anymore?), if you wanted a ` in your surname you had to petition for it and usually they'd give you one. I don't recall the GMs ever routinely giving out names with other types of special characters; certainly I've never seen people with $'s or &'s running around.

Danth
Old 05-12-2022, 10:57 AM
Planar Protector

Basically, early Blue was just a lot more laid back. If you had told me back then it would turn into THIS I wouldn't have believed it.

Aside from all the bugs, the playerbase was generally a lot friendlier and didn't take pixels so seriously. I guess that kinda came with the territory being new and having a smaller playerbase. At the time, the most popular EQEmu game was probably Shards of Dalaya or EZServer.

Yeah, you could get ' in last name from petition.

I think I posted this already, but this is the oldest toon I still have. I can't remember opening day, but I feel like it was maybe 2-3 weeks before this?

Sirken used to delete and restore my guise on Tream randomly, because stuff like that is funny to Sirken. (We knew each other on Vallon Zek). Then one day I asked him for it back and he was like "Maybe" and didn't do it. Then he just never did. And well, it's a bit late now. And that's the wild story about Sirken destroyed my Guise for no apparent reason.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tream.jpg (68.0 KB, 77 views)
Old 05-12-2022, 11:15 AM
Planar Protector

I think it helped that the game was not nearly so top heavy back then. There was one true raid guild (IB).

Things didn't really start to get ugly until more guilds started aspiring to do the same.

Even to this day, the regular player base that is not involved in that scene is mostly the same as i remember it.
Old 05-12-2022, 11:30 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For years, actually until recently enough that I thought it was still current (they don't do it anymore?), if you wanted a ` in your surname you had to petition for it and usually they'd give you one. I don't recall the GMs ever routinely giving out names with other types of special characters; certainly I've never seen people with $'s or &'s running around.

Danth
There were even a very small group of people running around with three word names
Old 05-17-2022, 11:58 PM
Fire Giant

The thing I'll always remember about early p99 were the quite persistent global /ooc spammers and the ever-increasing measures taken to thwart them without actually disabling global /ooc. Almost as entertaining as playing.