Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 11:11 AM
Sarnak

Default Ranger hit tables (blue)

I’m trying to understand if Rangers have similar DPS as true melee classes (War, Rog, Monk) during the Blue Era. It looks like offensive skills are more or less equivalent for Ranger and the true melees. Are there back-end tables that seem to effect this or is the true displayed skill values what general affects melee damage output?

Given the same level of gearing, would a Ranger do the same amount of melee damage at max level as a let’s say a Warrior?
Old 02-03-2021, 12:19 PM
Planar Protector

Against what targets are we talking about, and over what time period are we considering? What level is the character, and what is it fighting?

An hour of XP? A single 20 second Kunark dragon fight? Several minutes vs a Velious raid mob?

Rangers lack a melee dps spike button such as back stab or fancy kick, and while they have Trueshot, under most circumstances don't really have a burst dps disc either. Unlike monks and warriors they don't triple attack with their primary hand at 60 either.

These differences aren't really made up by their spells. They're a bit behind the others, given similar gear, but not strictly bad.

Rangers do have some advantages though - better self haste option. An easily accessible off hand worn haste/attack boost. A tonne of buffs to boost theirs (and others DPS).

A ranger with SS quest armour, epics and sky gear by itself would put in a good showing vs a monk similarly geared by itself... the difference is, when you give a ranger to a melee, the melee gets a lot better (wolf form, SoN, CoTP, etc). When you give a melee to a ranger, the ranger doesn't really improve.
Old 02-03-2021, 01:11 PM
Sarnak

Sorry, I’m really trying to understand standard melee and background hit calculations. Taking backstab and other special abilities out of the equation. Also want to look at apples to apples, same gear, same buffs (let’s just say both dual wielding jade maces). Also specifically taking about level 60 with max skills just meleeing on an do mob (let’s say a lvl 52 golem in the hole)

Will rangers do similar melee DPS or are there other factors where a true melee class like monk/rogue/war hit more often and for higher amounts.
Old 02-03-2021, 01:19 PM
Planar Protector

No, because like I said, the monk and warrior will be treble attacking with their primary hand. I think monks have a superior damage table too.

As well as skill cap differences, maybe there are further 'invisible' things I can't reacall.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:38 PM
Fire Giant

Warriors and Rangers are on the same table. Possibly rogues as well. Monks are on a different table (and get an even improved one in the 50's). Rangers do get a class-specific ATK bonus increase per level from 55+. While Monks and Warriors get triple attack at 60.

It's very apples to oranges. You'd have to parse with the exactly same stats / gear.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:52 PM
Planar Protector

Yea and generally ranger gear is lacking comparatively; Swiftblade of Zek and Swiftwind is about the best combo setup outside of raids. High end raid drops favor monks/rogues/warriors a bit better too.

You would have to compare a monk/ranger/warrior with the same 2h to get the closest baseline, like the Chardok shovel. Monks DW caps are much higher and they are on a better damage table. At this point monks and warriors get triple attack and rangers dont. Warriors get crits but lower DW caps and the same damage table as the ranger, as mentioned previously.

I do know my ranger's attack w/o avatar is in the high 1300's and can get a bit over 1400 with wolf form in outdoor zones. I don't think warriors or monks get this high with the typical buffs but they all seem to do more dps and with good weapons much better on the damage charts.

(Unless you're fuzzy-mathing the 30+ people with CoTP and 14 rogues with SoN in which case ranger's are doing quite well. Or comparing to a Trueshot BFG ranger burning 8 dmg arrows)
Last edited by Snaggles; 02-03-2021 at 08:56 PM..
Old 02-03-2021, 09:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I do know my ranger's attack w/o avatar is in the high 1300's and can get a bit over 1400 with wolf form in outdoor zones. I don't think warriors or monks get this high with the typical buffs but they all seem to do more dps and with good weapons much better on the damage charts.
I hit right around 1450 atk with full buffs including avatar. I think a monk with bis aob items can eclipse 1500 atk fully buffed with avatar. Realistically with equivalent weapons and gear a ranger is never going to out dps a monk or rogue.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:36 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croco [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I hit right around 1450 atk with full buffs including avatar. I think a monk with bis aob items can eclipse 1500 atk fully buffed with avatar. Realistically with equivalent weapons and gear a ranger is never going to out dps a monk or rogue.
Yea I was just trying to put objective data up there, as accurate at least as I can. Not make a final assessment.

It’s unlikely a ranger will match a monk and unlikely a monk will match a rogue. All things considered on average parsing. I’ve seen them do it though, that’s the beauty of RNG. The first letter stands for “random”.
Closed Thread