Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 10:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahmani [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My only confusion is whether or not the resulting spell will be No-Drop or not
Definitely 100% NOT tradeable [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I managed to combine some 49 necro spells okay with a 167 research skill. Its a risk whatever happens... what percentage would make you say "I'll try!" ?

You can get the runes again if the combine fails [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Swish; 02-13-2013 at 12:50 PM..
Old 02-10-2013, 02:45 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasslehofp99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ice comet will probably not be used a whole lot outside of maybe exp groups once you hit level 51. That spell is resisted quite often too from what I've seen on p99. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm much more interested in xp grouping than raiding, so that won't bother me much if I ever get a wizard back to that point. Good information to have, though, thanks.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:55 AM
Planar Protector

Ice comet's not a great spell. It does more DPS than Rend but is less mana-efficient, which most of the time is what you really care about. Supernova, the other research spell at that level, is also huge DPS for a PBAE nuke (which you'll care about if you have any sense =p) but is terrible mana efficiency; you're better off with Thunderclap.

The two spells have some use but are by no means vital so don't worry too much if you screw up the combine.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 02-10-2013, 01:25 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ice comet's not a great spell. It does more DPS than Rend but is less mana-efficient, which most of the time is what you really care about. Supernova, the other research spell at that level, is also huge DPS for a PBAE nuke (which you'll care about if you have any sense =p) but is terrible mana efficiency; you're better off with Thunderclap.

The two spells have some use but are by no means vital so don't worry too much if you screw up the combine.
Now that you mention it, I recall that rend was my mainstay at that point. However, I think when all one really does is magical damage, it behooves a wizard to have as many effective tools as are reasonably possible, since resists vary.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:28 PM
Fire Giant

No one answered your question! Tomtee to the rescue!

170 skill, 184 trivial.

Formula for success for trivial =

Skill - (trivial * 3 / 4) + 51.5

170 - 138 + 51.5 = 83.5% chance of success!!

Good luck
Old 02-11-2013, 06:14 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by August [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

170 skill, 184 trivial.

Good luck
You just made my day! Have a star

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-12-2013, 09:46 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by August [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

170 skill, 184 trivial.

Good luck
I'm not sure I trust this formula. According to this, if your skill level is 150 and you're performing a trivial-100 combine, you'll always succeed, but my experience has been that there is always a chance for failure regardless of your skill. Does this formula only hold until a skill is trivial?
Old 02-12-2013, 02:07 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not sure I trust this formula. According to this, if your skill level is 150 and you're performing a trivial-100 combine, you'll always succeed, but my experience has been that there is always a chance for failure regardless of your skill. Does this formula only hold until a skill is trivial?

Very good point, Estu. The formula for success is actually

MIN(SKILL - (.75*trivial) + 51.5, 95) -- this is for things w/ trivial higher than 68.

For things w/ lower than trivial of 68:

MIN(Skill - Trivial + 66, 95)

And actually that's not completely true either - you always have a 5 percent chance of success in either formula REGARDLESS of skill level.

There's always a 5 percent chance to fail or succeed, regardless of skill. It is perhaps the most heartbreaking thing about doing combines, especially when you advertise you are 'max skill' -- people don't think their combine will be the one that fails, but they invariably do -- 5% of the time.

When I was a jeweler on Fippy I sold ~200 pieces a day for awhile and you'd always see about 10 failures -- In fact when I calculate my absolute price per piece of jewelry I factor in that 5% fail rate so the 'bottom' line increases more than the actual cost of materials.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:31 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Very good point, Estu. The formula for success is actually

MIN(SKILL - (.75*trivial) + 51.5, 95) -- this is for things w/ trivial higher than 68.

For things w/ lower than trivial of 68:

MIN(Skill - Trivial + 66, 95)

And actually that's not completely true either - you always have a 5 percent chance of success in either formula REGARDLESS of skill level.

There's always a 5 percent chance to fail or succeed, regardless of skill. It is perhaps the most heartbreaking thing about doing combines, especially when you advertise you are 'max skill' -- people don't think their combine will be the one that fails, but they invariably do -- 5% of the time.

When I was a jeweler on Fippy I sold ~200 pieces a day for awhile and you'd always see about 10 failures -- In fact when I calculate my absolute price per piece of jewelry I factor in that 5% fail rate so the 'bottom' line increases more than the actual cost of materials.
Cool, thanks for the formulas. I either didn't know or forgot that they were actually known.

By the way, Ice Comet is No Trade (confirmed this yesterday). The other level 49 wizard research spells are tradeable, though.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:26 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:

Small nitpick, but Ice Comet and Rend have the same mana / damage ratio (0.3571429).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...UE&usp=sharing
Closed Thread