Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 01:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by August [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
to the detriment of all others.
I must have missed the part of the book that condones theft and parents neglecting their children because they'd rather watch TV and all that.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:46 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I must have missed the part of the book that condones theft and parents neglecting their children because they'd rather watch TV and all that.
In the book all the 'heroes' leave civilization to smolder and set up their own village in a private valley where they can live in peace without all the moochers taking up their precious resources / ideas.

It's been about 10 years since I last read it, so my memory may be fuzzy on the subject matter. I do know Rand's philosophy though and it is one that I disagree with.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:49 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by August [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That is a really polite way of putting it. Read Hobbe's The State of Nature. It is more closely resembling that.

The book promotes a selfishness that is akin to what most 12 year olds espouse. Free market? yes. Small government? Yes. Individuals looking out for themselves = yes - to the detriment of all others.

The book basically says that unless you are a genius making money hand over fist then you are a leech. Regulations? Pish Posh let the free market decide. Hard on your luck? Go fuck yourself!

It strongly defies the very essence of what civilization is. The social safety net that no doubt many people on this very forum are currently depending on. It would leave those of us without the fortune of being born rich to live in squallor for perpetuity. It holds money and capitalism as the holy grail. It is a crock of shit.

So yes, it is about 'individuals looking out for themselves'.
The simple idea that everybody should look after themselves (and their offspring, until they are self-reliant) is the foundation upon which any successful society must be built. If everyone betters themselves by developing useful skills, the world prospers. If everyone is a quality person, the world will be a quality place.

Currently, the apathy-stricken minority is growing. Some are disabled, some come from broken homes, some were abused as children. Every rule has exceptions. But from my viewpoint, and without concrete statistics on these things that is all one can really base their world view on, my viewpoint is that the majority are perfectly able, but they are just lazy burdens on society.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:52 PM
Fire Giant

Time to put a character limit on the post content validation...
Old 02-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
In the book all the 'heroes' leave civilization to smolder and set up their own village in a private valley where they can live in peace without all the moochers taking up their precious resources / ideas.

It's been about 10 years since I last read it, so my memory may be fuzzy on the subject matter. I do know Rand's philosophy though and it is one that I disagree with.
I recognize this "argument" as a path to nowhere. I think I'm starting to grow as a forum-going individual.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Banned

Want to see something really bizarre?

Look up the sexual beliefs of the objectivistkult.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
This book is worth reading to learn how to not live your life.

That being said, I have no idea why you posted this.
You say that as the Dagny Taggarts and Hank Reardens of the world are out there engaged in dispassionate power sex in order relieve the stresses their millions of dollars bring them. Meanwhile you cum into a napkin and close your browser in shame before opening up a 12 year old emulated video game for another few hours after getting home from your just-above minimum wage 9-5 and/or college classes in your pathetic attempt to fill the void of companionship because nobody has ever loved you, and you have never truly loved anybody.

You showed them.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:04 PM
Banned

Whoa Mr McBard, is that rational self interest or ego defense?
Old 02-01-2013, 02:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcbard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You say that as the Dagny Taggarts and Hank Reardens of the world are out there engaged in dispassionate power sex in order relieve the stresses their millions of dollars bring them. Meanwhile you cum into a napkin and close your browser in shame before opening up a 12 year old emulated video game for another few hours after getting home from your just-above minimum wage 9-5 and/or college classes in your pathetic attempt to fill the void of companionship because nobody has ever loved you, and you have never truly loved anybody.

You showed them.
Lol. This'll be in R&F pretty soon and then I won't be able to see it anymore [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-01-2013, 02:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchens [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Whoa Mr McBard, is that rational self interest or ego defense?
Anyone who has read the book will know what it is. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread