Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 02:23 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by August [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The social safety net that no doubt many people on this very forum are currently depending on
Wait, what? How did you come to the conclusion that many of us are dependent on some sort of safety net?
Old 02-01-2013, 02:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcbard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyone who has read the book will know what it is. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Deflection does not become you, sir.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:32 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resheph [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wait, what? How did you come to the conclusion that many of us are dependent on some sort of safety net?
Simple statistics. I am not making a statement about the community of Project 1999 in general.

Safety nets include Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, food stamps, unemployment, social programs including rehab facilities, soup kitchens.

In general almost everyone (96%) of Americans (i realize I am not speaking for European countries) have received some form of government assistance in their lifetime:

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/201...ort/?mobile=nc

(I realize this is in relevance to the stupid Romney '47%' thing).

I think there is nothing shameful in it at all.

And Tecmos, I have no desire to argue with you about anything. Not because it's you, I just don't really like forum debates. I find that people usually have made up their mind and tend to just prattle on at each other (See RnF).

I do enjoy your solo artist writeups, however.

Cheers,

Tomtee
Old 02-01-2013, 02:37 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcbard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyone who has read the book will know what it is. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
He's poking fun of the book and at me. I don't mind.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by August [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I do enjoy your solo artist writeups, however.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Banned

Well, I suppose if other religions can build belief systems on poorly written fiction the same courtesy should be extended to objectivists.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
He's poking fun of the book and at me. I don't mind.
Not at you personally, just poking the beehive because I knew, given this places demographics, that surely it would russle someones jimmys.

At least it sounds like you have read/understand parts of the book and got my joke. I kind of figured the guy who was posting about objectivist sex beliefs might have gotten a kick out of it as well, but alas I seem to have struck a nail with him.. it seems the second part of the joke may have been the best part afterall! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-01-2013, 02:44 PM
Banned

No nails struck. I greatly enjoy trading barbs with Rand fans, and I'm sure that's mutual.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:46 PM
Banned

Very much so. Rand fans are a deplorable bunch.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:25 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Safety nets include Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, food stamps, unemployment, social programs including rehab facilities, soup kitchens.

In general almost everyone (96%) of Americans (i realize I am not speaking for European countries) have received some form of government assistance in their lifetime:
If I'm forced to pay into a fund (Medicare/Medicaid, Social Security, unemployment, etc) then I'm going to milk it for every dime I can as long as it's 1) moral/ethical (not screwing the system) and 2) legal.

I think the term 'safety net' is rather offensive. This isn't an attack on you personally, and I'm not currently using any of the above systems, but the principle remains. The 'nets' I listed are no different than any other insurance... You put into it with the expectation that, should you need it, those funds will be made available to you at a later time.