Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 03:49 PM
Planar Protector

Default Looking at a book

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3r14k [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Side question if you happen to see this: I know via the old "super-classic" UI, when opening your spell book you'd have to stare at your spells and make sure the "Meditate" button was pushed in. Is that an issue with this UI? I know this was remedied later by sitting = meditation, so it's probably an irrelevant question.
Until level 20 milestone when you got your surname, then you could sit down and med without the book being open. Had to listen for trouble around you. I don't remember how it functioned with the Velious UI.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:05 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake1981 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Until level 20 milestone when you got your surname, then you could sit down and med without the book being open. Had to listen for trouble around you. I don't remember how it functioned with the Velious UI.
Good call. I was ultra new around the vanilla timeline (as was everyone else, I guess), so I can't say I ever got past level 20 until after they made the change.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:10 PM
Project Manager

I was going to award classic points, but this goes beyond that.

Secrets will henceforth be known as a classic points generator.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:29 PM
Planar Protector

Secrets' screenshot shows the candle that human (and I presume barbarian and Erudite) characters started with. Thing was pretty dim and didn't help a whole lot.

Danth
Old 01-15-2018, 07:32 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake1981 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The UI will switch to the stone brick UI when typing /book - there is no meditate button on the velious UI, only the stone brick UI.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

“Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” — Aristotle
Old 01-15-2018, 07:38 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Secrets' screenshot shows the candle that human (and I presume barbarian and Erudite) characters started with. Thing was pretty dim and didn't help a whole lot.

Danth
Indeed; the candle sucks! I actually have a character stuck in the bottom of the Rogue's guild in Qeynos because I cannot find my way out of the pit. The danger is real.

Here's DX7:

Here's DX8:

“Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” — Aristotle
Old 01-15-2018, 07:39 PM
Project Manager

In August 2000, they removed the necessity of clicking the 'meditate' button while spellbook was open, and also removed the /meditate command. Meditating still required the spellbook to be open, prior to level 35.

Quote:
AUGUST 30, 2000

Opening your spellbook will automatically cause you to begin meditating providing that you have the skill.
Removed the /meditate command since it is no longer necessary.
Pre-35 spellbook meditating was removed altogether in 2002.

Quote:
MARCH 19, 2002

Spell casters no longer need to see their spell book when meditating. Once a character has the meditation skill, it will function when the character is sitting down.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:39 PM
Planar Protector

You had to meditate with the book open (ie, you couldn't see anything) until level 35. This remained the case throughout the classic period.

The button was a separate thing. At first you had to press it to turn on meditate but that was patched and made automatic at an earlier date. I don't remember exactly when but it was gone by early Velious. EDIT: August 2000 for button removal, per Nilbog.

The only thing that was really wrong with the periscope window UI (aside from the annoying single chat window) was that buff icons were rather large and took up excessive amounts of screen space on the right side of the view area. You could click a button to hide them but then you wouldn't notice when short duration buffs faded. Although the view area itself was relatively small, when not blocked by buffs the actual view was greater than on a modern widescreen. Widescreen resolutions letterbox the view and effectively cut off the top and bottom of the screen, while the overlaid UI elements cover up that much more of it.

Danth
Old 01-15-2018, 08:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I believe this to be false to a degree... During my classicQuest research it apparently was level 35, then changed again to 20.

Edit: it looks like master Nilbog beat me to it
Old 01-15-2018, 10:59 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't use UAC so I wouldn't know, sorry [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

My guess is it'd work but perform a 'device reset' and have similar functionality to hitting ctrl alt delete in Win10, which currently doesn't cause a freeze or crash, but instead makes the UI look trippy until you move the mouse over the screen like some Windows 98 application freeze used to do.
Hi hi

I don't think Ctrl Alt Del would cause the same behaviour as I described unless that action invokes the consent.exe, but with UAC off or disabled then it may be a non issue.
Closed Thread