Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 02:58 AM
Planar Protector

Default Unity3D

I'm actually pretty impressed how it's come along. Take a look at this mario remake:
[ 60fps ] Super Mario 64 HD - Unity 3D Engine Remake Gameplay
vs.
Super Mario 64 Full Playthrough

I haven't downloaded the game, don't plan to (looks like Nintendo forced him to stop anyway), it's not a full game but still made by one guy. I see room for a ton of improvement on the texture art, but gameplay wise it looks pretty good. Sound is good too.

I have some games using Unity3D, but really lately I came across the long dark that really impressed me with all of it's recent development. It's not a one man team, but they have like about a dozen people working on the game. It's a lot of progress for so few people.

Then I came across Star Break this weekend. This too is a Unity game, and looks really great. imo needs more content before I pick it up, but otherwise a solid game there.

Then I picked up Ravensword: Shadowlands on Android a few years ago, an Elder Scrolls type of game. Not so great on the PC release later, but it was ground breaking for Android where not even AAA studios were really touching it at the time, and since they have now - we mostly see ports.

I think the only drawback, which is no big deal for the indie devs, is that it's using mono which is still stuck on an older version of C# for the scripting, which isn't bad for the vast amount of tutorials made to use it with Unity. But otherwise wow the games coming out of this run so well even on slower computers/laptops and little devices.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:12 AM
Planar Protector

Unity is pretty amazing. I think the limitations with scripting languages are the only real drawback I've heard. Its just a matter of time before something amazing using unity gets released.

Pantheon rise of the fallen also using unity. Would say their environments are a step up on The Long Dark, but it does have a more minimalistic art style. I think most of the second wave of indie mmos being developed right now are using Unity with the exception of Camelot unchained, who built their own engine. Hope it was worth it, because the game looks like its suffering art and design-wise.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:26 AM
Planar Protector

I think it has two scripting languages, C# and Unityscript which seems to be a quasi-javascript. I don't know about Unityscript, I haven't looked at any vid tutorials on it. I'm more into C based languages, and what I do know is that they are using a dated version of C# about 5yrs old. Not a bad thing though, only a poo-poo for AAA's looking for middle-ware development w/o limitation, which for the money they'd go with UE4 or something like that obviously.

Even though it's using older C#, it does have integration with MS visual studio. I haven't tried it yet, I still need to reinstall VS after a wipe. I'm just at the point of reading a book I picked up and watching some various youtube tutorials like this one on 2D RPG (a series about 90 minutes).

I've been screwing around with app game kit 2 for some months, targeting Android. But it's a pain in the butt, especially with limited documentation. I was amazed how vast the resources have become with Unity compared to a few years back last I looked. A lot of people are using it now I guess.

You've played TLD? I know a few that post here have. They started that for ipad it was I think. One of those i's. They hit the limit though, moved to larger systems. Obvious design target was for the slower ipad, using the snowy setting and all. They have improved the shaders etc, it still looks great, especially walking through the forest with headphones on, you hang on every noise very immersive. They plan to add some green zones next year I think the dev road map said. That will probably crank up the detail like you are talking about. Maybe not this much in real-time CGI Animated Short & Tech Demo: "The Blacksmith" - by Unity Technologies but it seems to have good potential of real-time rendering for gaming etc.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:52 AM
Planar Protector

Ya, I don't think Unity is lacking at all in compatibility with top quality graphics. Lots of great demos out there and games in the works.

I wasn't aware that you couldn't use current C# with Unity. When i used it, I used javascript and built a level following a book tutorial.

I personally love C#. The ease of use with VS languages is just so much more efficient than old languages. If I can't use VB or C# I don't even want to code. When I was in school I just felt like old C languages and derivatives like java just felt so antiquated. Even their SDK was a joke compared to visual studio.

Unity is pretty versatile from what I hear. Not a professional, can't speak personally but I've read its incredibly adaptable for just about anything you want to do given the right addons and tools (which sometimes you have to develop yourself). Still a far cry from the days of building everything from scratch.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:13 AM
Planar Protector

Oh far from antiquated, it's still a necessity for Linux. For fast and easy, sure C++/C#, but if you want stability it's C. If you wrote anything mission critical and with long expected up-time, C is highly recommended. I was a CS maj in college (note: I'm not a wizard), C. I should have taken multimedia instead though, I pref it much more. I mean like animation and modeling etc. but it doesn't matter, that stuff was easier to learn without classes compared to programming.

Yeah a long way from scratch, I use to need to calculate all my sprites through an imagined grid system then program a dozen lines all being strings of numbers. Now I just pull out my Wacom and scribble it out, save it and I'm done. Import and assign hehe.

Sure javascript, which was actually unityscript, but some call it javascript even though it isn't. It's Unity's own version of a javascript derivative. Every engine tends to have it's own modified scripting language of some sort, then adds some sort of C/C++/C# based language. Yeah even though the C# is a little dated, Unity is still used in school curriculums. But whenever Mono gets updated, then Unity gets the newer version of C#.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:02 PM
Planar Protector

Don't get me wrong I like unity. But a lot of quote Game makers end quote who use it never push the boundaries. Same goes for unreal engine. 9 times out of 10 you'll be able to tell what engine the game is running on. There are even cases of people blatantly building their games off free demos that can be used with the engine.

Making video games is a kids dream today. But please leave it to the professionals. No one wants to fund you kickstarter while you learn how to code and make art for a sub par game made in what can be a novice friendly engine. One more thing, I hate people who make video games for $$$ not as a passion. I say that "video games are made by people with a job not a passion now-a-days."

Don't misconstrue what I'm saying. There are those 1 out of 10 games made in these engines that kick some serious butt. It's just the mass produced sub par games that have slowly given engines like Unity, Unreal and stuff like game maker a bad rep in some social circles.

ps. that mario 64 on pc looks sick. Too bad nintendo doesn't make PC games or PC ports. *sigh*
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:55 PM
Planar Protector

can't say i've kept up on a lot of this but my take a while back is that unity is very viable for novices and professionals alike...

of a lot of the suites built to streamline game production unity was by far the most indepth and powerful ... was a while when a lot of really talented people were really advancing it as a whole... again tho, i havent been following the stuff so lots of words and nothing came out...

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/index.html
Old 08-29-2016, 06:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Flair [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I personally love C#.

from msdn article (Visual Studio and Xamarin)

'You can work with all Xamarin features through any edition of Visual Studio 2015 (Community, Professional, and Enterprise). Note also that as of March 31 2016, Xamarin is included with all editions of Visual Studio 2015 and no longer requires a separate license.'

makes me hype... but i have a ways to go before i can actually be hype...
Old 08-29-2016, 08:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Making video games is a kids dream today. But please leave it to the professionals. No one wants to fund you kickstarter while you learn how to code and make art for a sub par game made in what can be a novice friendly engine. One more thing, I hate people who make video games for $$$ not as a passion. I say that "video games are made by people with a job not a passion now-a-days."
Wow geez, where you the one that did a 1 star to my thread rating too? lol you really hateses them indies.

Everything you said you can apply to AAA's. Are the mass hoards of WoW clones pushing any boundaries? Which is worse, self-financing/kickstart or dealing with a corporate investment board that tells you how they want the game made for best profits regardless of gameplay? Those boards are exactly what you $$$aid.

What's a professional, anyway? And does that require micro-payments? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I assume you are not pointing that reply directly at me... I think. I'm not a kid and I've made quite a bit of money in my life coding, mostly in robotics. I deeply encourage indie development, and quite frankly has been my goto when looking for new games especially the past decade. Indie games are actually often the top selling games, and/or most awarded. Minecraft? EVE Online? FTL? to name a few, and there are many to name. It's actually the indies that push past the cookie cutter games, and for good reason, investment corps are not willing to take chances with their monies.

Anyway, obviously for the topic, it includes indie discussion too since Unity is primarily the leading indie engine now. Some AAA's are using it now too, like with making a Total War game, but then spoiled it with excessive micro payments. Some others too, like Star Wars, Ubisoft, Square Equinox, those Oddworld people, the youtube trailer list is here.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:42 PM
Planar Protector

cool man
Closed Thread