Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 05:00 PM
Large Bat

Default What do you remember most about eq?

Sorry if this has been discussed before. I believe the music is what entrances me in this game. Everything is so wonderful about this game, but the music really gets me going, and even the sounds which are probably considered cheap and archaic by today's standards. I'd like to hear what people like the most about this game, and maybe we can chat about memories we had!
Old 05-09-2016, 06:06 PM
Planar Protector

I definitely remember the music, Kelethin especially. We started playing on red and there were these high elf twins ingrid and cumini that kept blasting everyone around crushed zone in, do we organized a party to take them out, hella fun intro to EQ.

There were also a set of gnome triplets xoink, yoink, and zoink that were the bane of the steamfont mountains. That sense of playing against other players (not talking just a Nintendo game Mario party here) and not against the computer was so different and enthralling.

First big raid target my guild dropped was also a big deal and I remember it well: master yael in the hole. We were a non raid guild, and we took sooo long to get to him, finally engage and us noobs are dropping like flies, get him to 10% and a mob complete heals him! I think for sure that is it, but we keep going... We somehow get him back to 10% and I'm on the edge of my seat... DTs a tank and I step in as last tank, only me and a rogue left, along with a cleric, chanter who are near oom. Yael at 1% and rogue says DIIIEEEEE!, I'm almost dead, just whispering in the dark, "come on, come on..." BOOM! Yael down! Guild chat goes nuts.

I always remember that fight and the sense of accomplishment after it, have yet to match that in any other game.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:46 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Jay Barbeau was the original composer - clearly incredibly talented. He has part of the original soundtrack for purchase on Amazon (here) - unfortunately, it doesn't include the tune for Kelethin, which is also my absolute favorite in the game. I really wish someone would do a skillful cover of these with real instruments (trumpets, harp, and so forth).

Engaget did an article on the soundtrack. It truly is one of the best parts of the game.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:57 PM
Large Bat

Yes! I adore kelethin theme as well! I don't have anything major as memories, but everyday I meet new people and group up with very nice people and we always have something interesting to talk about, and THIS is one of the many things that makes this game great! I occasionally play live version, but it really isn't the same...not at all.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:18 PM
Kobold

+1 for the music.

Since 1999 I catch myself playing the Kelethin theme in my head, from time to time. And Akanon too, for some odd reason.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:59 AM
Planar Protector

Getting lost. Never happens in these new games [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-10-2016, 08:33 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Greetings!

In those days the darkness was very real. I would often get lost at night immediately after leaving Felwithe unless I had my head down following a trail. Even then, I would miss a turn by a tree and end up out in the wilderness, certain some Crushbone orc or worse was going to find me. The music of Felwithe was always a relief to hear for one frightened, young high elf returning home.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:09 AM
Planar Protector

Kelethin no doubt about it. My server on live (Tunare) used Gfay to trade instead of tunnel. That music man. Gives me chills everytime lol. So sad... haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO4_8A9Uiwg
Old 05-10-2016, 01:39 PM
Sarnak

Meeting awesome people in Highpass Hold and Highpass Keep. It was a great place to be as a newb pre-Kunark and Velious, because ringmail and a decent magic weapon dropped in that place plus it was close enough to the likes of Qeynos, Rivervale, Neriak and Freeport for new teensters to hop on over for a group. Groups on live were way more fluid, with people constantly coming and going, so you'd often meet a whole bunch of new people every session. Kunark and Velious sort off undid these xp spots, forcing people to ye obvious Oasis, but back then people cared way less about optimization and min-maxin like the P99 crowd does. It's a shame that as the EverQuest world grew larger, the xp options grew smaller for non-solo'ers.

Oddly enough, EverQuest's music never really got to me. It felt too erratic (to teenage me) and truth be told, pales in comparison to the tracks of other games from its time. Sure, I love the opening/loading track, and the Kelethin track deserves a special mention, but other than that? The combat music made me turn the ingame music off real fast.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:41 PM
Fire Giant

Hugging the wall in every zone, the adrenaline rush of PvP with item loot
Closed Thread