Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 06:01 PM
Banned

Talking First time playing shadow knight (from scratch)

Hello Norrathians!

So recently I made a human shadow knight on the green server because I thought they sounded like a lot of fun! I already played paladin before (have one on blue server) and I played a warrior but found them a little boring. So I decided to play a shadow knight which also my first time playing an "evil character".

So I have a few questions:
1. Would I have a problem getting gear from scratch?
2. How do shadow knights solo?
3. What are some gear recommendations?

I read up on the wiki and scrolled through forums to see information but I wanted to know what you guys think. I also watched a lot of level1undercon's videos to see shadow knight gameplay which was really cool!
Thanks =)
Old 06-25-2020, 06:25 PM
Planar Protector

1. No, pack on the levels and start farming guards for xp and plat
2. Snare/Fear Kiting
3. 2H weapon so when you're fear kiting you can get big hits while you chase them around

Use strafe left/right and stand to the left or right of the mob. This way they won't path away from you, out of your attack range. And you can just stafe along side them as needed for 180 degrees of attack range.

I level an iksar SK on blue this way prior to the removal of hybrid penalty. With pretty awful gear.
It was slow goings, but SK is a totally underrated class late game. It can pull/tag/tank

ps. Why a human.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 06-25-2020 at 06:27 PM..
Old 06-25-2020, 06:39 PM
Planar Protector

1. Hoard and sell bronze and FS as mentioned.
2. A silvery two handed axe would be VERY to save for and give you night vision
3. Snare/Fear kite. I suspect face tanking for xp would be painfully slow if possible at all without really gold gear
Old 06-25-2020, 08:13 PM
Planar Protector

Gear from scratch isn't too bad if you have some modest familiarity with the game. Patchwork/leather armor can carry you into the teens. Around the early/mid teens you should be able to afford banded, and that'll carry you into the 20's where you'll be able to afford better. Finding decent weapons can be troublesome at low levels and especially on "Green." Most likely you'll have to use rusty/tarnished at first, followed by vendor-bought weapons. A ~3PP Axe, ~12PP Long Sword or ~20PP Claymore off the vendor can carry you into the early/mid teens from where you can look for something that's magical for hitting those lucrative willowisps. Lower-end 2H weapons can be had for 30-100PP nowadays.

Shadow Knights mostly solo via straight up melee from 1-15. Occasionally mix some strafe-running jousting mixed in, especially if you're using a slow 2H like a rusty halberd. You can potentially cut your damage intake about in half that way, although its too tedious to want to do nonstop. From level 9 you get spells, lifetap helps a little bit and the pet helps a LOT at this level. Equip the little skeleton with a rusty 2H or rusty halberd and watch it hit for as much or more damage than you do. At level 15 you start to be able to fear-kite, although the level 15 snare is both weak and short duration which conbined with limited mana means fearkiting isn't a staple tactic until level 22 with an improved snare.

At level 22 you get a night vision spell which improves quality of life significantly. Always carry the best lightsource you can, probably a lightstone or (better) a greater lightstone. A fire beetle eye is either marginally adequate or marginally inadequate depending on the brightness of your monitor. Lanterns work nicely but take up the offhand slot and hence require the use of a 1-handed weapon. For a couple silver, use one at the lowest levels until you get an inventory lightsource. Look for "medicine bags" for containers that can save a fair amount of weight--they're lighter than most other types of bags. For other gear suggestions, see above.

A human Shadow Knight is a nice character. I've played one for many years on P1999. Starting in Freeport is probably the easier choice due to having quick access to item sales and possibly high-level buffs in East Commonlands so as to provide a quick way to sell things like HQ bear hides or bone chips for quick platinum.

Danth
Old 06-25-2020, 10:37 PM
Fire Giant

Very cool! My Iksar Necro was my first evil character as well, and I've come to really enjoy the evil side! It's kind of freeing in a way; everyone already hates you, so why not kill them? And when you get FD life will be a lot better, as you can bank in way more places with FD.
Old 06-26-2020, 04:01 AM
Kobold

Really cheap beginner weapon is a blackened iron bastard sword. 2h slash with 20/47 for around 100pp on green. Scales nicely and full damage at lvl 20.

I'd kit out the character with banded armor and upgrade to shiny things once you got the money. I found bronze way too heavy. dark mail gauntlets and str+int earrings are nice as well as either jagged band or +hp rings.
<Aanelenye> lvl 43 Paladin
<Vaalyun> lvl 48 Wizard
Blue chars: retired

Old 06-26-2020, 11:26 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exard3k [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Really cheap beginner weapon is a blackened iron bastard sword. 2h slash with 20/47 for around 100pp on green. Scales nicely and full damage at lvl 20.

I'd kit out the character with banded armor and upgrade to shiny things once you got the money. I found bronze way too heavy. dark mail gauntlets and str+int earrings are nice as well as either jagged band or +hp rings.
piggybacking on what this dude is saying

Banded/BIBS is a dam good start, until you can snag bronze.
Closed Thread