Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 10:37 PM
Kobold

Default monk ac vs hp

What's the general rule of thumb of ac vs hp formula for a monk?

Thanks
Old 03-14-2021, 11:10 PM
Banned

I personally don't pay attention to my ac. It's generally at or close to 1100 and I go max hps basically all the time. The more hps you have the better your mends will be and that's huge for soloing, grouping, and raiding. Raid buffed I'm within a few hps either way of 4800 so that's a free 1200hp heal every 6 minutes. For fights when you have to deal with an ae that's a huge help on a healer's mana bar.
Old 03-15-2021, 01:01 AM
Kobold

Depends on what your goals are. I know a monk with 1700 ac buffed. He can tank HoT better than my SK. For leveling etc, try to have a good mix of both.
Old 03-15-2021, 04:41 AM
Kobold

Ideally I'd like to duo with a shaman.

Back in the "old days", I think it was said 1ac = 6hp for warriors.
Old 03-15-2021, 05:19 AM
Banned

I usually go by 1ac = 5hp for a monk but even that is too high for me. For instance I would rather wear gatorscale sleeves 6ac / 15hp vs azure 12ac as a noob monk because hp scales better because of mend.

That 1700 ac monk might take hits better than an SK but I highly doubt he can "tank" better because that requires you to be able to gain/keep agro, and no monk is going to beat an SK at snapping and holding agro. I don't care what weapons he's using.
Old 03-15-2021, 06:48 AM
Fire Giant

nevermind.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:59 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croco [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I usually go by 1ac = 5hp for a monk but even that is too high for me. For instance I would rather wear gatorscale sleeves 6ac / 15hp vs azure 12ac as a noob monk because hp scales better because of mend.

That 1700 ac monk might take hits better than an SK but I highly doubt he can "tank" better because that requires you to be able to gain/keep agro, and no monk is going to beat an SK at snapping and holding agro. I don't care what weapons he's using.
Devil’s advocate, if the monk is meant to be tanking, why would the SK be spamming aggro?

In context of original question, I think a monk will want to keep adding AC until they can mitigate decently or reach a point of diminished returns, and then focus on HP. It’s hard to provide specifics as the answer changes on circumstances.
Old 03-15-2021, 10:15 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Devil’s advocate, if the monk is meant to be tanking, why would the SK be spamming aggro?

In context of original question, I think a monk will want to keep adding AC until they can mitigate decently or reach a point of diminished returns, and then focus on HP. It’s hard to provide specifics as the answer changes on circumstances.
I think Croco isn't suggesting a monk going head to head with an SK who is spamming aggro spells, rather more that monk doesn't fully substitute for an SK in an average tanking scenario because they have fewer tools for grabbing aggro on adds or when a wizard nukes too early, etc.
Old 03-15-2021, 10:37 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Peeling mobs off enchanters =p

better to have a dead undergeared SK than dead chanters.
Old 03-15-2021, 11:03 AM
Fire Giant

The formula is HP > AC.