Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 11:36 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This speaks to my main annoyance with the sale of MQs. Not so much the random druid who gets a Berguggle Crown while camping his Corrupted Aqua Shaman. Or the random mage who gets a glimpse of AC across the water from his Seafury camp and kills him.

Its more the guy who is camping Gimblox for the 25th time to sell the MQ. The guys who have turned the majority of their profits off farming the same quest over and over.

It is EverQuest after all. Not EverBuyYourQuestReward. No Drop items are No Drop for a reason.
EQ would have failed back in the day + none of us would be playing it now if all of the things the developers intended went live + none of the things they didn't intend went live.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
EQ would have failed back in the day + none of us would be playing it now if all of the things the developers intended went live + none of the things they didn't intend went live.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-01-2014, 11:45 PM
Planar Protector

It wasn't THAT hard to figure out.

Remember the thread about emergent gameplay and how everyone agreed that it was what made EQ great and what makes modern MMOs bland? MQing is emergent gameplay, just like a shitload of other features the devs of EQ didn't intend but that popped up and are 110% vital to the game we know and love today, like kiting, AE groups, FD splitting, etc.

Droppable or no drop doesn't mean shit especially when MQing was implemented intentionally in classic, just like the devs saying they didn't intend AE groups doesn't mean shit especially when they intentionally left a cap off the number of targets PBAEs could affect.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:46 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffpuppy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As much pain as MQing seems to cause a portion of this community the fact is that not only did nilbog spend his valuable time making MQing work, is that MQing is classic. No reason to remove it. However, I don't think level 1's should be able to receive an epic from MQ's, add a level restrictment or something.
And I guess this is something I'm beginning to understand. That the purity of what Classic was is to be maintained above all else. I doubt it was intended. Anyone know if they got rid of mqing down the road when they figured it out? Either way, I don't have too strong of an opinion either way. But there does seem to be room for improvement and it also seems like there is room for discussion. Hence the forum post.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:48 PM
Kobold

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It wasn't THAT hard to figure out.

Remember the thread about emergent gameplay and how everyone agreed that it was what made EQ great and what makes modern MMOs bland? MQing is emergent gameplay, just like a shitload of other features the devs of EQ didn't intend but that popped up and are 110% vital to the game we know and love today, like kiting, AE groups, FD splitting, etc.

Droppable or no drop doesn't mean shit especially when MQing was implemented intentionally in classic, just like the devs saying they didn't intend AE groups doesn't mean shit especially when they intentionally left a cap off the number of targets PBAEs could affect.
But is all emergent gameplay positive? People on pvp servers who just kill noobs probably effect server population. Would it be wrong to protect new players from constant grief?
Old 03-01-2014, 11:54 PM
Planar Protector

No, it's not all necessarily good. But a server striving for classic mechanics AND a classic experience can't fully achieve both, and I think it is pretty plain that the staff here think the lesser evil is usually erring on the side of classic mechanics instead of trying to create custom mechanics to try to recreate the environment on live servers 15 years ago. So we have MQ mechanics and the people who take advantage of that.

If the people farming AC, who are allegedly maliciously blocking some other person from getting a ring directly (lol), weren't selling jboot MQs, what would happen? Instead of keke complaining about not being able to get his own jboots, he'd have his own jboots but would be complaining about some random droppable item being farmed by the guy who would have been at AC.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:06 AM
Kobold

I recognize there will always be something to complain about, and that someone will always be complaining. I guess it's just a bit different here because new content is not being rolled out, what's available is meant to be limited and has a very clear cap. So people won't move on to new things thus opening up old shit. Either way, I'll be in ec tunnel buying jboots when I can afford them. Was just some food for thought. I'm departing this forum now. Happy hunting all.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:07 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I'm really not an asshole. But when people cry like this about stuff like this?

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Brought to you by someone on the server top 20 rich list? Yeahhh.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:10 AM
Fire Giant

first of all, maybe my memory is a little hazy but I don't remember MQ sales being at the level they are at on this server on live. Your contention that it's "classic" is, in my opinion, incorrect because on classic, yes, people sold MQs, but not nearly to the extent that they do here.

Second of all, jboots were one example. There are plenty of other things about which the same complaint could be, and has been, made. So, yeah, I guess "lolol that guy would be complaining about sumting else lolol" is kind of true, but at the same time, isn't it more demonstrative of the overall problem being, yes, pretty noticeable than of me being some kind of a whiny bitch? If everyone is screaming, SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE FIXED, and it's not just some "this game is hard :-(" bullshit (which you're trying to play it off like it is,) doesn't that kind of mean there's a problem?

Oh, and I got my jboots, eventually. So I'm not just some whiny guy complaining about hard game here. I'm someone who sees a problem to which there is, ehhh KIND of a way to work around, but in an objective sense it would be a little better for everyone if it could be solved. So don't bother trying to play this "yeeheeheeeheeheee KEKE IS WHINER" shit. You're so into "the classic EQ experience," well I think it'd be a lot more like what I remember if people weren't MQing rogue epics and hoarding AC spawns all day. I have no idea which one of us is remembering this game right but I will tell you I had jboots on live and spent a lot of time working on an epic I never finished and at no point did I have to buy my Naggy book from Paradigm.

Every song I play is actually just me screaming the 1812 Overture in a raspy, shrieking falsetto.
Last edited by Kekephee; 03-02-2014 at 12:15 AM..
Old 03-02-2014, 12:14 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Brought to you by someone on the server top 20 rich list? Yeahhh.
My first instinct was to go "what the hell Tecmos, why are you so gung ho about keeping jboots and epics out of the hands of everyone who doesn't want to buy them?" I thought about it and ultimately, he can solo everything in this goddamn game so I know he's not "one of those MQ guys" because he wouldn't need to be, so I'm guessing he really believes that back on live it was impossible to get your epic without buying it from TMO and no one ever got a pair of jboots who didn't pay for them

Which may be true! I was 15 at the time! My memory may be hazy!

Every song I play is actually just me screaming the 1812 Overture in a raspy, shrieking falsetto.
Closed Thread